Dracula Is Cursing The Japanese Wii U Virtual Console Next Week In Castlevania III

Posted by Damien McFerran

Mystic Quest, Gradius and Neutopia also coming along for the ride

Castlevania fans will be pleased to know that NES classic Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse — one of the best entries in the entire lineage — is hitting the Japanese Wii U Virtual Console next week, which means a western release shouldn't be far behind.

Originally released in Japan in 1989 — the North American launch would follow a year later, with Europe getting the game in 1992 — Dracula's Curse reverted back to the platforming action of the original title after Konami experimented with a free-roaming approach in Simon's Quest. However, there are plenty of improvements to speak of; the game has a branching level structure and multiple playable characters, including fan favourite Alucard, who makes his series debut in this game.

Also coming to the Wii U Virtual Console next week are Super Famicom RPG Mystic Quest, PC Engine shooter Gradius and PC Engine Zelda-clone Neutopia. Meanwhile, the 3DS will be getting Donkey Kong Land: Diddy Kong's Quest for the Game Boy.

Are you excited about any of these titles? Let us know with a comment.

Insidious

Insidious said:

Sweet! Hopefully it hits the US. Neutopia has me very excited! I already have it on Wii VC and PS3, but I'll gladly pay the upgrade fee if it comes out here. I hope they put out Neutopia 2 as well.

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

Hm, I was just wondering where the Final Fantasy games are on 3DS and Wii U VC. Er, maybe I'm not up to date, they aren't on there right?

Anyway, doesn't Japan already have Secret of Mana? I'd love to get that.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Nothing there for me.....except the hope that the release of a rare game of any kind COULD mean some progress with their games on Nintendo platforms!!!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I hope the West gets at least the choice to use the Famicom music if not just the entire game. (It is badly censored).

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

I'm still waiting for castlevania 2 on wii u here in the uk. This is my all time favourite series and am hoping all NES, PC engine, SNES, N64, GBA and DS iterations are released so I can have them all in one place, would be nice to get SotN too, but can never see that happening.

komodo182

komodo182 said:

If it comes to Canada, I would probably get the final fantasy game and the DK game.

Action51

Action51 said:

Guys...Gals...everyone....listen up...

This game...Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse...is one of the greatest games of the 8-bit era. While it can be unmerciful in it's difficulty, it does offer multiple paths and combinations of powers and abilities via the spirit companions and selectable routes of travel.

If you like action games, and you have never tried this, do yourself a favor and grab it! I would rank this game directly alongside Super Mario Bros. 3, Megaman 2, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Contra, and Final Fantasy in contention for greatest 8-bit era game.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

@Action51 It really is that good! I hope it comes to the US. I haven't played it in around 15 years. I remember begging my NES not to freeze up during the game. I forgot many details but the character that climbs on the walls was my favorite.

Action51

Action51 said:

@shigulicious - everyone's opinion will vary, but yeah...the stage design is tight and the music is great.

Grant Dynasty - is the wall climbing thief. He's probably the best one for beginners to use because of his wall climbing.

Ryno

Ryno said:

I hope Castlevania III comes soon to NA. I loved that game as a kid. I never finished it on my Wii VC and need to play it again.

BinaryFragger

BinaryFragger said:

Excellent news, I love 2D Castlevania games. The first two NES Castlevania games are on the NA Virtual Console so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we get this one too.

odd69

odd69 said:

This is already on the VC i fricking do not care about these re-re-releases, when i see these being released once again and Nintendo thinks i will buy old shyt again just BOILS my blood. These games should be FREE for the ones who PAID FOR THEM ALREADY ON WII. Not a discount either, free.

This has to be the worst machine this company has built, it just has to be, the gamecube was better the first year than the WiiU is. Oh and Nice job turning off the regular wii's online component too that was a smart move and one that made me lose 50% of my respect for you. You realize i have more fun with my ouya

KingMike

KingMike said:

@unrandomsam
Extremely unlikely. They'd rather release an English version when available.
(and they'd have to reprogram the game to put English text in the Japanese game, because the Japanese and western carts used different hardware)

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Are these the first PC Engine games to come to the Japanese Wii U VC? This is a good sign that they might come to the west again, hopefully with better emulation this time. The first few TG16 games on the Wii VC had a really bad filter on them.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Hopefully this means we can get Crisis Force as well then. (Both use Konami custom mappers).