Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes Comes To Wii U But Not Wii

Posted by Andy Robertson

All the details inside

Disney Infinity has done impressively this year. From a standing start it sliced a sizeable portion of the toy-meets-video-game market for itself. While some would suggest this was predictable with such a rich array of household favourite characters to draw on, Avalanche Software still needed to execute an enjoyable game that made sense of the toy tie-in.

While much of the excitement around today’s announcement of the next version of Infinity has been around the Marvel franchise, again Avalanche Software needs to do more than lean on these Disney properties to keep a pace with Activision.

Disney came out fighting in Hollywood today and announced Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes not only as its new game but as the new game from the 'toy-video-game market leader'. The “best-selling new hybrid toy / video game of 2013” no less (according to the NPD Group’s video games retail sales data).

There is a new line of toy Marvel figures used to access in-game characters. Then there are the Play Sets adventures. Written this time by Marvel comic writer Michael Bendis you can play as over 20 Marvel characters (Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, Thor, Hulk and Hawkeye so far shown) as long as you have purchased the related figurine. Gameplay involves the usual battling enemies, completing challenging missions, solving puzzles but all in much bigger environments this time.

This is perhaps why Disney Infinity 2.0 is not coming to the Wii; while it moves on to PS4 and Xbox One the long in the tooth platform isn’t supported. Here Activision scores Ninty brownie points as Skylanders Trap Team is still getting a Wii version.

Back in Disney Infinity 2.0 the Toy Box is getting enhanced as well. New structured, franchise-themed adventures provide a ready built starting point for players to customise. Also, a new Creator tool helps them build worlds faster and easier.

Gameplay is enhanced with new combat and more destructible game worlds along with a new set of Marvel gadgets and vehicles. We saw a range of different Avenger characters at the press conference which were grouped into different classes.

Collectors will be pleased to hear that all the existing Disney Infinity figures, toys and power discs are compatible with Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes. They also get a level cap increase from level 15 to 20. More importantly though there is a new skills tree to customise your character more like you do in Skylanders.

Finally the power discs. New circular and hexagonal Power Discs add costumes, Area of Effect attacks and team-ups. Hexagonal power discs will add new weapons, vehicles and sky and terrain customizations.

It seems that even if you own the first game you still need to buy a starter pack. This includes the Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes video game, three Marvel Super Heroes Figures: Iron Man, Thor and Black Widow, a Disney Infinity 2.0 Base, two Toy Box Game Discs, a Marvel’s The Avengers Play Set piece and a Web Code Card.

Disney Infinity 2.0 starter packs will be available in the fall on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, PC, iOS.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

I think that I'll be passing on this one until Disney characters come out. I'm not a huge Marvel game fan but I love the movies and comics. I would have rather seen more classic Disney characters than having Disney already entering into the Marvel universe.

AJSjedi

AJSjedi said:

A couple of things...

first, I read on another site the game is coming to all "previous" platforms and ps4 / xbox one. That being said, it's WAY BEYOND TIME to put the wii to bed for good. Considering the wiiu is the ONLY next gen console that is backwards compatible and you don't need any special software or cost to use it, why companies still want to maket wii and not wiiu I really don't get.

Second, my wife and I love skylanders and infinity, but we really hope the multiplayer is one screen like the skylanders games, neither of us is a big fan of split screen.

Finally, this is a day one wiiu purchase, and I can't wait for that agent Coulson figure!

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

It's pretty cool. But I'll get Skylanders Trap Team this Fall instead. I'll still collect the figures and I'll probably get the game, but later on that is. I'd rather get Skylanders.

AJSjedi

AJSjedi said:

I agree with other posters however, I wish their were more Disney characters for these games and more actual playsets...but I guess you can't have it all right?

It would be nice to have a tron, wreck it ralph, or black hole playset but I won't hold my breath

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

I'm a Marvel fan and buy almost every game Marvel related but this game is just too expensive to get. No game is worth 100 plus dollars.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

@UnseatingKDawg They had Spider-Man at the end.

Disney is limited to the Avengers (which is still a lot of characters) because Fox already owns the rights to the X-Men, as well as most of the characters related to them, and the Fantastic Four. I'm kind of surprised that Disney was able to get Spider-Man seeing that Sony is making the films.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

@XFsWorld Where did you get $100? The starter pack for the first Disney Infinity was $75 when it came out? I'm think it'll be the same as that.

Edit: I guess if you buy 3 extra characters it would be over $100.

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

I was thinking about picking up the original for my daughter. Now it sounds like I should just wait and get the new version. Am I reading that correctly, and is that the correct interpretation?

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

Does anyone know if this is four player or two? I can't remember if they said in the announcement. I'm assuming 4 because you will have 2 bases.

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

Happy for no Wii edition because that probably made Wii U's version of DI slug. Also, Ironman and Spider-man confirmed this purchase for me.

Shadowkiller97

Shadowkiller97 said:

@jjmesa16 That's not quite correct. Disney purchased Marvel and Marvel owns the rights to all of its properties.

What you are talking about is film rights. In that regard, you are correct, Fox owns the film rights for X-Men and Fantastic 4 and Sony owns the film rights to Spider-Man. This is why you cannot see characters from these films enter Avengers or other movies made by Marvel Studios. But these are just the film rights... not complete rights to the characters, which is why you still see a Marvel logo at the beginning of the movies made by Fox or Sony.

Therefore, these characters can definitely show up in any game that Disney chooses to make.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

@SavoirFaire If your daughter likes Marvel then pick it up. However the first has all of the Disney characters. If you get the second one you will not have access to the Pirates of the Caribbean, Monsters University, and Incredibles play sets because they are only available within the starter pack, unless you find the game piece through eBay in which you would need the characters of that game to play it. For example you would need to buy the game piece and the sidekicks pack to play the game.

Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes does make it easier to build worlds in the Toy Box which is a cool area of the game and they said that they are releasing other Disney characters in the future so that's promising.

I'd probably go for the second one because you can always buy the Toy Story, Cars, and Lone Ranger playsets later. That way the game isn't all Marvel characters.

PS Sorry for the long answer.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

@XFsWorld

Wreck-It Ralph is in the first Disney Infinity, as well as Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Vanellope was in the first Disney Infinity, too.

What AJSjedi was talking about was a playset, where you get to explore Ralph and Vanellope's world.

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

Captain Eo and I'm in, you hear me Disney?! Lol I want Captain Eo but it's never gonna happen!

Suicune

Suicune said:

Fox having movie rights to xmen, f4 and sonys spiderman mean nothing for things outside movies. Disney bought ALL of Marvel, not just remaining properties for movies.

Aaronzord

Aaronzord said:

I spotted Rocket Raccoon and Groot near the end...make sense for them to get some of the Guardians guys in, with the movie being imminent.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I had no interest in Disney Infinity until I watched the reveal for this earlier for the heck of it. I'm definitely interested in this.

AJSjedi

AJSjedi said:

@XFsWorld
His character was in the 1st game, but he did not include a playset so you could only use him in the toybox. Actually all the post launch figures were like that. Only lone ranger, cars, and the "worlds" of the starter pack figures had playsets. That is why I have not filled out my collection yet and have been playing more skylanders as all figures work in the "main" game mode

edit: oops someone beat me to the punch, sorry didn't see that. I also forgot the toy story figures, they had a playset.

gatorboi352

gatorboi352 said:

Let's be honest, the only reason there's even a Wii U version still is because there's a PS360 version.

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

Good?
Sorry, but less Wii, the better. People can make the jump to the Wii U now. Everyone needs to stop the Wii. It's reached that stage.

OmegaStar

OmegaStar said:

Good, hopefully people upgrade to Wii U because of this. Now if only Skylanders ditched the Wii...

Daisaku36

Daisaku36 said:

Well, I'm glad they're going to have Marvel characters. Looks like I'll be on 2.0 this fall.

RiderSkyward

RiderSkyward said:

Need all of the Marvel figures! They all look so good! People also seem to have missed a few other characters amongst all the excitement. I see stitch, Maleficent and Merida in there too ;) Hopefully that means Stitch and Brave playsets =D

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

This is fine and all, but come on. Where's Marvel vs Capcom 4? Now that is the next Marvel game that I would be hyped for.

Well, I would go for a Dr. Doom, Magneto, or Juggernaut figure. Also Gambit and Deadpool....

I do have a question, how do these kinds of games work? Do you scan in a figure and control the game with a controller, or do the figures do more to interact with the games?

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@Caryslan: You plug in a base through the USB port on the console, and then you place a figure on a slot. Presto! The character appears in the game to be controlled. To control the character, you use the Wii U Game Pad, Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Remote and Nunchuck, or Classic Controller.

Off-TV play works well in the Wii U version too. Of Disney Infinity.

AJSjedi

AJSjedi said:

@gatorboi352
Have you ever once had anything positive to say about Nintendo? Every single time I see you I know it will be blah blah blah everything is nintendos fault whaa whaa whaa

rjejr

rjejr said:

I've been waiting awhile for Wii support to be dropped, but I dont think this game is as a important as Just Dance. When that stops, Wii dies.

And as a dad, I do feel bad for parents of young kids who maybe just bought a Wii for their kids the last few year for games like this. But it is time.

As for this game - I'm a huge Marvel fan from way back, but isn't Marvel a bit overdone in games at this point? Lego Marvel just came out. And that awful Wii U game. With all of Disney's own Disney characters this is what they picked for 2.0? If they made a completely separate game for this, "Marvel Infinity" (Infinity Gauntlet is a good read, much better than Secret Wars), I might be ok w/ it, but for Disney 2.0 I'm not a fan. Jungle Book, Robin Hood and Tarzan would be better. Any Disney cartoon.

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

I'd say Disney gets the Ninty brownie points here, for potentially pushing Wii owners to upgrade to a Wii U.

jbrewer99

jbrewer99 said:

Am I the only one that finds it weird that they dropped wii support but they have ios? Lol

Action51

Action51 said:

@AJSjedi - I've lightened up on Gatorboi, he's usually negative but capable of being fair and even positive on rare occasions. he's legit.

Now as for some other people who I won't name...lol

krisko

krisko said:

Honestly, if I was really young and was a Disney Infinity fan I'm not sure I'd want this. I was never that into superheroes or comic books. Plus, at that age, my mother probably wouldn't allow me to watch the Avengers or any of the Marvel films. That isn't a problem for me now, of course, but it could be a stumbling block for kids who were fans of the first game being based around a franchise their parents would not let them view due to it being PG13. I know there were play sets based on PG13 films in the first game, but there was plenty more content from G and PG movies. I know the violence and content is toned down from the source material, but considering that these games are built in having recognisable brands, how are kids unfamiliar with the franchise supposed to get excited? What other options do they have if they don't like Marvel?

Disney has said that there will be non-Marvel content in Disney Infinity 2.0. My theory is that the game will have different starter packs with a different theme, Marvel being one of them. Disney could then sell the same disc with each starter pack, but provide a different starting set and figurines, with the option to buy the other play sets if they really want to. This way, someone could get Disney Infinity 2.0 if they liked the first game but are not necessarily a Marvel fan.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@AJSjedi It would be nice my wife got into these games but I end up playing them with my kids. We started with Infinity and then moved on to Skylanders. We have all Infinity characters and most power discs. We also have about 70 Skylanders now and are looking forward to both of the new games coming out.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@pcruthven The Wii version of the first was a simplified version anyway, my guess would be from memory restraints of the Toy Box mode on the console.

millarrp

millarrp said:

It's not surprising. If they were considering doing a Wii version I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo talked them out of it to add insentive for Wii owners to move to the Wii U

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

So... wait, will the original base from Disney Infinity work with 2.0 or not? Some websites say yes while others say no.

AJSjedi

AJSjedi said:

@Nico07
Maybe see if she likes some lego games, those were some of the first ones my wife and I played together. But like you said they are both great franchises. My only two gripes about infinity are split screen multiplayer and lack of playsets versus toybox characters. I too look forward to both this and trap team.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

Well maybe this might make the people who bought this game for the wii now buy it for the wiiu.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

@willobee The most expensive place I have found it is at EB Games New Zealand for $99 but Nintendo published Wii U games are selling for $108 (Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., and New Super Mario Bros. U). Other than that Australia has it for $89 (Nintendo published Wii U games are selling for about $79 there), the UK had a starting price of £64, and $75 in Canada (each listing is in each country's currency).

luminalace

luminalace said:

"Coming to Playstation 4, Playstation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, ios and PC"!!!!! Wait am I on Nintendolife or Push Square?

Marshi

Marshi said:

@gatorboi352 All the more reason we should be thankful ps360 is still popular. Seriously the 8th gen is gunna be very diferent in the fact that 7th gen will still be supported by triple a games,along with games for the new systems. Would not surprise me if there are still new triple a games coming to ps360 in 3/4 years

Zach777

Zach777 said:

Too bad they just can't update the original version so everyone who is interested doesn't have to go out and invest in a new starter pack... Lame

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@jjmesa16 And playsets and powerdisks. (Powerdisks are the worst to get the lot costs and absolute fortune and you can use up to 4 of each).

Chris720

Chris720 said:

"Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes Comes To Wii U But Not Wii"

Who gives a damn about the Wii any more? That thing needs to be put to bed already, its outdated and has been replaced, why that is even in the title is beyond me.

But on the bright side, the Wii U finally has another game... took long enough.

darkswabber

darkswabber said:

day one ps4 buy for me, unless your old data from Disney infinity works for the new game, then it is a day one buy for wiiU, again unless your data is bound to your Disney account (like with the ios and pc versions) then it is still a day one ps4 buy for me. (sorry for the bad english)

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Heh, bout time they wii version is getting the boot. Make room for the WiiU versions already!

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

In an earlier report I made the comment that I was most likely not going to invest more money in another "starter set" so my kids could continue playing in the DI universe. Someone (don't remember who) told me I was wrong and that Disney already confirmed that it would be an update and not another purchase......well, well, well.

My kids have probably 80% of the figures and they have probably gotten their money's worth out of the game but I find the power disc to be a gimmick and some of the figures did not hold up to the "toy" aspect. As some of our figures have been repaired with super glue....but my youngest loves super heroes so I could see this being purchased this time for the Wii U for his birthday.

jazo152

jazo152 said:

@jjmesa16 Actually Fox only owns the rights to the movies. Marvel can do whatever they want when it comes to games. Thats why spiderman is in it!

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

@jazo152 I realize that now.

Here is some info to clear up Marvel rights:

Film rights
Fox: X-Men, The Fantastic Four, and the word "mutant" (in terms of Marvel superheroes) interestingly
Sony/Columbia: Spider-Man
Disney: The Avengers. Not quite sure how Disney squired the film rights to the Hulk.

Disney also own the Marvel toy rights. Marvel owns the comic rights, which they will always own.

jazo152

jazo152 said:

@jjmesa16 Fox also co-owns quicksilver and scarlet witch with marvel. But doesn't mean that marvel can't use them in games. Their just not allowed to use them on movies

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch are where the rights get really confusing. Obviously Fox is able to use the twins because they are the children of Magneto and are part of the mutant universe. However Disney, Marvel Studios, is also able to use them in the Avengers as long as they don't mention the word "mutant" or acknowledging that they are part of the X-Men universe.

What are video game rights part of anyway? The Marvel toys division, which as I said is owned by Disney?

Edit: Fox and Marvel have a rights agreement for many characters in the mutant universe. That's why I didn't bother putting them on the list. Most of them are somehow related to the X-Men.