Cosmochoria Confirmed for Wii U Release

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Another eShop game via Kickstarter

One project that's been covered in our recent Kickstarter campaign summaries is Cosmochoria, originally a PC title that saw a worryingly large Wii U stretch goal drastically reduced once the developer learned of the relative potential ease of porting to Nintendo's system. As of our last update at the weekend it stood a good chance of hitting its target.

The good news is that the Wii U version is now confirmed, as a late burst in pledges has taken the project past the required $25,000 with over a day of fundraising remaining. Below is part of the developer's update regarding the news.

Because of your belief in me and this weird little game, it is now possible for me to bring Cosmochoria to the Wii U. A lot of work still has to happen to the game to get it completed in the time I was planning on doing so, but the good news is once the desktop version is complete, the very same code base will already be 'buildable' as a Wii U version and I can begin focussing on Wii U specific controls and features to get it ready for release on Nintendo's newest baby. I'll keep everyone closely up-to-date with the development progress, as I'll likely begin experimenting with stuff as early as June, so the ideas can percolate while I'm finishing the core game.

It looks like a colourful, quirky title, and one that could certainly suit the Wii U rather well. Check out its pitch video below and let us know whether it's on your radar for its eventual arrival on Nintendo's console.

[via kickstarter.com]

Maelstrom

Maelstrom said:

I played the demo version, and found this game to be surprisingly fun. Now, if only my mouse would work when I use the keyboard......

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

Awesome news!! I love the browser demo; reminds me of rymdkapsel but cuter/more organic - really looking forward to trying it out on the Wii U! =)

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I did not pledge, but I will be there when this actually releases. Good thing he lowered the initial Wii U amount that much.

Lobster

Lobster said:

I upped my pledge a bit just before it got to the Wii U stretch (last night) and the dev sent me a personalized thank you. Not only does the game have a lot of heart, the guy making it does too.

Razzle

Razzle said:

Thank you fellow WiiU owners! I pledged on this game when it was at 10K and I wasn't sure it make the WiiU goal. Am very happy it did, I think it will be a great game.

KARNOVsSTACHE

KARNOVsSTACHE said:

Looking forward to playing this on the WiiU! There's still some "Early Bird" rewards left on the KS page. We need Cosmic Pets!!!

mantrakid

mantrakid said:

Hey guys, thanks so very much for the amazing support.

Yeah @SKYW4LK3R, i used that image a while ago, but the Kickstarter updates become locked after they are submitted so i cant go back and change them unfortunately. Actually maybe I can change the one on the main page, I've just been so swamped with the campaign I haven't had a chance. :D Im in it to win it, but Im rocking the whole thing solo pretty much so i have to choose my battles. Once i have it running on the Wii U tho I'll take my very own press shots complete with me sitting in the grass. :)

Thanks again... it is such an unreal experience to hear such positive things said over something i poured myself into. Cant wait to blow your minds with the final game. :)

ToniK

ToniK said:

For some reason I have always loved both jetpacks and playing with gravity (in games, obviously) so this seems like a no-brainer to me. Good job, dude! :)

Action51

Action51 said:

Did someone say twinstick style space shooter?

I like where this game is going.

Spanjard

Spanjard said:

Someone wake me up when these projects are actually a thing and I can play it on my Wii u.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

Looks like a fun game. I did wonder at first: "why the heck did you come up with a naked astronaut?" because the premise of a space adventure with a naked astronaut probably conjures up entirely different images in a lot of peoples' minds. Those that require a PEGI 18 label... (and besides that not even taking into account that being unclothed in space will lead to certain death)
But in the end it doesn't matter that much because it looks like it'll be fun to play and that is what games should be about.

Hortencio

Hortencio said:

Wow! I usually don't like twinstick, space shooters, but I can already tell from the teaser that this game has potential with its characters and, confirmed, story mode. Even if the campaign only ends up being 10+ hours, it would be a great addition to my already varied lineup of games. Another downloadable Wii U game to add to my personal Watch List!

mch

mch said:

Didn't pledge, but I'm really happy that game made it! Congratulations, keep building great games!

Liquid_ice

Liquid_ice said:

@mantrakid Hey! If the game turned out to be a success, would you consider making Cosmochoria for the 3DS? The game looks fantastic, but without Wii U or proper PC it's not possible to enjoy this game and support you.

Klinny

Klinny said:

I'm really stoked about Cosmochoria. I'm not a huge fan of shooters, but I gave the demo a try and I was surprised by how much I loved it. Not only is the artwork lovely, but there's a unique sort of strategy involved with deciding which planets to revive, setting up bases, getting lost, getting unlost, and so on. It was really a unique experience that is somehow both zen-like and crazy chaotic at the same time XD

I don't know, it just makes me really happy. Also, the creator is doing a live Twitch stream at the moment if anyone has any questions about the game:

Also an AMA on reddit if you don't like Twitch streams:

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

@mantrakid I saw you guys from the YOGSCAST! The YOGSCAST made my decision already, but I hope it has enough content for a reasonable price. While we would still have to wait for Minecraft and Don't Starve on the Wii U, who don't trust finance with Nintendo, I'm sure that you guys will prove them wrong. This is coming from a guy who has never bought an Indie Game that wasn't a Sandbox game, so you know that you guys have done something right. ;)

Andremario

Andremario said:

Damn I need a wii u! I hate this economy in u.s. I need a job that pays not this commission based crap! I'll never get a wii u this year with these pockets * pulls out linen and lint* dang!

mantrakid

mantrakid said:

Hey thanks for the support you guys and for coming to hang on the live twitch feed and AMA on reddit - that was a lot of fun! :)

Will do my best to make sure this game kicks all asses until the infinite future. :)

I dont know how doable a 3DS version is, but if things go well I will definitely consider the possibilities. :D