Citizens of Earth Coming To Wii U And 3DS eShops This September

Posted by Liam Doolan

Charming, chivalrous, charismatic and charitable

Atlus will be bringing the Earthbound-inspired Citizens of Earth to the Wii U and 3DS eShops this September. The Kickstarter project which failed to reach its original goal was picked up by Atlus shortly after, who offered to publish the game.

Developed by Eden Industries, Citizens of Earth is a turn-based RPG that has players take charge as the Vice President of the World after a political candidacy. Throughout the game, players will be required to recruit citizens, and form a party of four to actively fight for the cause.

There are a total of 40 characters to recruit, ranging from the local weather lady to a jittery barista. Much like Earthbound, in combat, players can see the enemies they are engaging outside of a battle – no random encounters in this one. There'll also plenty of humour in the game, similar to HAL Laboratory's Super Nintendo classic.

To top it off, the game features bonus optional side-quests, and a lot of polish including real time lighting, full HD art, a night and day cycle and weather effects.

Check out the teaser trailer below, and let us know what you think.

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

I'm really excited for this title.Glad it's still coming,probably the closest game resembling a modern day 'Earthbound. Now all I need is booger man to come next..

faint

faint said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edhe

edhe said:

@PvtOttobot

It was inspired in part by Earthbound, yes.

Then again, if Nintendo is unwilling to give us a genuine follow-up in the Mother series (let alone localise the ones already available in Japan), I say we should take what we can get.

@Anguspuss As long as Atlus is involved, we can probably expect to wait a year.

smikey

smikey said:

I'll definitely pick it up when it mzkes it to the uk e-shop.
although a proper nintendo earthbound / mother game made by Nintendo would be fantastic!
Given the hype & success of the e-shop earthbound they must have surely thought about it even if it ends up on 3ds.

but more than this i'm looking forward to the earthlock rpg which has made it's kickstarter goal with 40 hours to spare ;) (though the other 2 I backed hex heroes looks unkikely & cult country seem to have no chance)

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I'm still playing Earthbound now; replaying Xenoblade after that so by the time this Is released I should be ready!

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

@edhe
If Nintendo wanted to give us something so we could forgive them for abysmal virtual console support, they could put Mother 3 on the Wii U eshop since we are getting GBA games now. That'd be huge.

ekreig

ekreig said:

I can't believe I just heard "Atlus" and "Earthbound-inspired" in the same sentence. You got my attention.

manpretty

manpretty said:

I was so disappointed when this didn't hit its Kickstarter goal. Very nice surprise to see that Atlus got involved and picked up the ball so they could finish it.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

This looks like an interesting title, the only thing turning me off is the animations look too much to me like a last gen flash game.

JustinH

JustinH said:

Glad this has a happy ending, but like everyone else I'm let down that it still looks like an RPG Maker game. If that changes by release, I'm interested.