Child of Light Reveals Partnerships for Music and Theatrical Design

Posted by Tim Latshaw

This fairytale is getting serious

Layer by layer, the Ubisoft team behind the upcoming RPG Child of Light has been revealing all the unique choices that have gone into creating an artistic experience. Today, they have shown how a Montreal-based singer-songwriter and the multimedia wing of Cirque du Soleil are contributing to the overall design.

Musician Coeur de Pirate, French for "pirate heart," has composed the soundtrack for the game's world of Lemuria. Ubisoft Montreal's Creative Director Patrick Plourde considers the local talent to be a superb fit for the project:

Music is one fo the most important ways to communicate emotions to players. The music of Coeur de Priate is fresh, romantic, and optimistic, a perfect match for what we wanted to express with Child of Light. I am extremely honoured that she wanted to join us on this venture.

Coeur de Pirate, who also collaborated with The Bratislava Symphony Orchestra to create the operatic ambiance for Child of Light's in-game flight sequences, said she was able to compose from the ground up as the developers fed her pieces of the game and its intentions:

My experience with Ubisoft was great. I was there from the beginning, so they didn't have so much material with me to work with at first, which gave me complete freedom. Then, when I first saw the images, I really felt I could create something great with them. I remember seeing for the first time the music on the images. This is wonderful to see something come to life like this.

Ubisoft has also tapped another Montreal-based resource, Cirque du Soleil Media, accessing the creative resources of one of the most world-renowned circus/performance troops. Cirque du Soleil Media brought its experienced theatrical and costume design know-how to Child of Light, adding what was called "a real stage direction point of view" to its creation. According to Plourde, the design choices made will hopefully draw players further into the universe:

Videogames invite players to be immersed in virtual worlds and no one is better at creating immersive and magical experiences than the artists of Cirque du Soleil. So to be able to collaborate with them to achieve Child of Light's ambition to create a playable poem was a dream come true.

The unique creative energy inherent in Child of Light seems to be building all the time now with these new reveals. There's not much longer to wait, as the game will be releasing on the Wii U eShop at the end of the month for $14.99/£11.99. You can learn more about the sound and artistic work that has gone into the game in the latest "making of" video below.

[via youtu.be]

rjejr

rjejr said:

Gotta give Ubi credit, like the game or not this certainly isn't $14.99 shovelware. And credit for a Wii U release, and on time.

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

Forgot about this game. Wait no physical release god. Well least I have space. Hoping that this is not going to take a long while to download.

King47

King47 said:

I'm even more intrigued. I will likely get it day one, but I will not play it until I'm done with Xenoblade.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I keep getting more and more excited about this game. I just hope it isn't too short - in fact, if it has 2/3 as much content as Bravely Default, I would pay retail price for it.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

It would be a shame if this game bombed - Ubisoft obviously put a lot of care behind this project.
I'm getting this for sure! Screw the rules reviews, I have money!

markybbop

markybbop said:

i cant relly tell though what the game is about from the trailors, is it action packed, violent, childs game

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

@markybbop what. They said what it's about inseveral trailors.

Really looking forward to this one. Hopefully it sells well on the Wii U and Ubisoft has a little more faith in Nintendo platforms...
Also hope it's not too short.

Tops

Tops said:

It's cool to see them use local talent. If I had a WiiU I'd get this

vonseux

vonseux said:

I knew Coeur De Pirate before, shes very talented and well know in france/canada

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

Ooh that's pretty awesome! I think it's great that other artists from different mediums have come together to work on a single project together. If I had a Wii U, I would buy this in a heartbeat!

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

It looked good since the first trailer, now it also "sounds" good!
I just saw the game intro: fully localized in italian! Good job, Ubi! (it shows also that before a new game we can choose between "normal" or "difficult").

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

After getting Rayman Legends for my birthday I decided I have to get it. If not for the incredible Ubi art engine then for the music and RPG elements.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

Can't wait for this game!!! "Finally a RPG game coming to the Wii U...unless there is one that I missed..."