Australian Classification Board Rates Xtreme Sports for 3DS Virtual Console

Posted by Jake Shapiro

The WayForward Game Boy Color classic appears headed to the eShop

It looks like one of WayForward Technologies' early classics will be arriving on the 3DS Virtual Console in the near future. The Australian Classification Board has rated Xtreme Sports, published by Infogrames in 2000 on the Game Boy Color exclusively in North America. Europe would eventually get a version of the game on Dreamcast known as Sega Extreme Sports and a PC port called Pepsi Max Extreme Sports, but a Virtual Console release would be the first time the GBC original is available outside North America. The game has a G rating for "very mild themes and violence."

As its name suggests, Xtreme Sports is a collection of games based on extreme sports like skateboarding, surfing, inline skating, street luge, and skyboarding. This would mark the second WayForward title to hit the 3DS Virtual Console, after its Game Boy cult classic Shantae. Today, WayForward is best known for downloadable titles such as Mighty Switch Force! and DuckTales: Remastered, with Shantae And The Pirate's Curse on the way to the 3DS eShop.

Will you be picking up Xtreme Sports once it arrives on the eShop? What other Game Boy Color games are you still waiting to see on the 3DS Virtual Console? Let us know in the comments.

[via nintendoeverything.com, classification.gov.au]

Tops

Tops said:

Is that his hair?! It looks like it could poke someone's eye out!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

First time I have ever heard of it. Not seen it in any lists of Best GBC games.

What is the definition of a classic these days just anything that is old ? Or does it have to be good ?

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

@unrandomsam I've never heard of this either but apparently it's supposed to be quite good and was well reviewed back in the day.To quote IGN ''This is one of, if not the most beautifully-styled games I've seen on the Game Boy Color''.It received an 8/10 in both Gamespot and IGN so may be a 'classic' after all :)

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Oh? What else are they hiding? But I'm really cautious when it comes to sports games, even when they're fun sports. Better wait for a review.

@TopLaytonsHat If only that. It could even serve to decapitate.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

When I saw the generic title in the headline I was thinking some shovelware was coming, then I read "The WayForward Game Boy Color classic.." OoO;

Definitly gonna keep an eye on this game since those guys are behind it ^_^

Yomerodes

Yomerodes said:

What I want from the GBC virtual console

-Shadowgate Classic
-Bionic Commando
-Metal Gear Solid (Ghost Babel)
-Warlocked
-Pokemon Pinball (no rumble obviously, but the game itself was catchy enough)
-Kirby Tilt n' Tumble (with gyro controls, best case scenario)
-Game Boy Camera (okay, this one just for kicks and nostalgia, we all know the 3DS have better cameras by itself)

And of course, SMB DX, MXtreme 1 and 2...but we already know those are coming.

bahooney

bahooney said:

Wow, day one purchase for me. Had this cart back in the early 2000's but somebody stole my copy. For anyone who hasn't played it, it's a truly wonderful game! It's an RPG-like experience with sports minigames ranging from roller blading, skateboarding, surfboarding, and more! All over a huge island acting as the hub world. Superb sound, lovely graphics... look up some gameplay footage! If you like Mario Tennis on GBC you'll probably go for this too!

AENIGMA

AENIGMA said:

Since WayForward is bringing some more of their games to the 3DS VC, I hope they can bring "Wendy: Every Witch Way" (GBC) as well!

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@SparkOfSpirit

Very true GBC was one of my favorite handheld platforms for a long time besides GB. For some reason GBA games never really appealed to me. What is ironic is I love the Original GBA & GBA SP system's but not the GBA games lol. :)

Played a lot of third party title GB & GBC games on both my original GBA & GBA SP back then. :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

MamaLuigi

MamaLuigi said:

That looks like REALLY early Wayforward work... sorry but I'll stick with Shantae and Mighty Switch Force.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Looks at the male character at the front
Me: "Huh, looks like a male Shantae....oh right it's by Wayforward"

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Hmm, non-licensed GBC games yet to see the VC? Well, I understand why the classic main-series Pokémon games aren't being released (at least if/until the link cable is emulated on the VC), but what about "Pokémon Trading Card Game," or even better the Japan-only sequel? Those games are almost entirely single-player adventures and so shouldn't have any issues coming to the VC. I'd gladly buy a copy of "Pokémon TCG 2" for my 3DS.

WalupeachyTime

WalupeachyTime said:

If the game itself features water skateboarding just like the cover, I'll certainly buy it for myself.