Yoshi's New Island is Still Throwing Eggs in the UK Top 20

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Pokémon provides the only other Nintendo-exclusive top 40 presence

After making its UK all-format chart début in 12th place, a test for 3DS title Yoshi's New Island has been to see how its momentum stacks up — not too badly, as it turns out.

In its second week Yoshi's adventure is in 16th place — it holds the same spot in the single-platform chart, too — dropping behind a couple of older titles and inevitably pushed down by new home console arrivals inFAMOUS: Second Son (PS4-only) and Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (multi-platform). Considering its relative brand power and mixed critical reception, it's a reasonable performance for the Yoshi hordes.

The remainder of the top 40 demonstrates once again that many of the ever-green 3DS mainstays of last year have dipped away in 2014. Pokémon X & Y continue the good fight for the portable, however, with Y winning out in 35th ahead of X in 37th position. Unfortunately for the Wii U Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has, as expected after last week's decline, dropped out of the top 40 entirely.

This week will see the release of Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney on 3DS in the UK and Europe as a whole, so we'll see how that performs in next week's results.

[via chart-track.co.uk]

Related Games

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

That Yoshi game got a trustworthy 5/10 here from DL. I hate to begrudge sales of any game but Yoshi is no star Fox and will likely show up again for the kids sooner than later so I hope they endeavor to make a game that even more discriminating nintendo fans can appreciate.

MAB

MAB said:

Yoshi won't last long in the charts... The game looks bland and uninspired ;)

Goginho

Goginho said:

Really enjoying the game. Going through a secong time now, collecting everything I missed. This game can be pretty challenging, I must say. It's just a vibrant and inspiring li'l game ;)

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo said:

Nice to see Second Son topping the charts!

... easily the prettiest 'next generation' game yet.

I hope Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright does well - love both of those characters (and their respective games).

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Shame about DKCTF dropping out of the top 40 especially when you consider that was Nintendo's major release till may.

divinelite

divinelite said:

Second son deserved the topspot
Well ffxhd is also second

Hey cheer up UK, when was the last time top ten is less crowded of guns and sport like now?

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Picking up Second Son and Ground Zeroes this week, and maybe FFX HD if i have enough funds. As for Yoshi, i still want to play it one day.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

I played this on the 3DS XL displayed at my local GameStop and the 3D effect was pretty good. That's it.

zool

zool said:

Yoshi is a very good game. At least 8 out of 10. It is hard, but not hard to get through a level, hard to find and collect everything.

It is a challenge but in a good way not a frustrating way like Donkey Kong 3ds.

Its not a kids game in any way.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

That PacMan spin-off based on a cartoon is ahead of Tropical Freeze. Aliens: Colonial Marines is ahead of Tropical Freeze. What is wrong with people.

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

@Peek-a-boo Yeah, I just finished Second Son, amazing game. The graphics are stunning, but then again, Sucker Punch always makes games look beautiful. The gameplay was amazing as well. It's a shame that Tropical Freeze isn't in there though.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

DKC: Tropical Freeze dropping out of top 40, Wii U doesn't even had MGS V: GZ... and there's still 2 months left for Mario Kart 8 and the only worthy release in the meantime is NES Remix 2. Hahaha, wow... Good for Yoshi's New Island tough :)

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

Good great news i am playing Yoshi in the evenings and really loving this game it takes me back to the snes era but with 3D layers it's such a good game.

Aran

Aran said:

It's really sad that Tropical Freeze isn't there anymore. Nintendo is going to have a really hard time until May 30, I hope they have some surprises for April at least.

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

@unrandomsam I finished it quick, because I essentially went on a marathon-esque play-through of the game (only did story and some side missions). Even then, it took me about 11-12 hours to finish it. If I 100% it (which I will), it will probably take around 20 hours total. I apologize if I made it seem short.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I think gamers who don't closely follow the press are going to be furious about MGS:GZ. It may not be full retail price but it's still an absurd cost for a 2 hour long game.