Yoshi Invades the Real World in the Latest New Island Trailer

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Have a new Steel Diver: Sub Wars video as a bonus, too

With Yoshi's New Island just days away on the 3DS, Nintendo of America has released a live-action commercial to promote the retail release. It's been a trend in the region to blend real-world actors with extravagant props to represent the game in question, and this one is no different.

We've previously seen computer generated Pikmin and the Donkey Kong family, as well as impressive real-life recreations of environments from Super Mario 3D World, so this time it's the turn of Yoshi's various items and transformations to make an appearance. Hosting duties fall, as is often the case, on photogenic teenagers clutching a variety of 3DS and 2DS models, including the Yoshi 3DS XL that also arrives in stores this week.

Check it out below and let us know what you think, while we've thrown in a trailer for the Steel Diver: Sub Wars premium version that's also been uploaded today.

Yoshi's New Island Commercial

Steel Diver: Sub Wars Premium Edition Trailer

Related Games

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

My kids better not get this game! The last thing I want is a huge Yoshi egg crushing my car!

Btw, I now there was a special Easter Yoshi Egg press event in Los Angeles yesterday (Sunday). Did anybody at NL cover it?

antipop621

antipop621 said:

Will pick Yoshi up on Friday after work. Didn't pre-order this time around, so I hope it won't sell out.

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

so even after u get the premium version the subs still cost a buck a piece if u actually want to keep up with other people who have them. i dont like that. but i do like the look of the yoshi 3ds xl in the video. i'm defenitely going to upgrade to the xl on friday as long as its not too hard to get one. anybody know how limited these are going to be?

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Is Helicopter Yoshi new?...

The more I see of this game the more I like it but its the first Nintendo game in months I'm not buying at launch. Probably when I've finished DKCTF which is all the 2D platforming I need right now, that game scratches all my itches haha damn its such a masterpiece! I didn't even play past world 3 in DKCR on Wii and 3DS. I'm at Boss 3 right now after playing world 3 in one session, I finally beat world 2's boss after many tries and couldn't stop playing.

Snowmads > Tiki Tribe, David Wise > DKCR's composer. There, said it :) I want to buy the soundtrack as soon as its available.

Back to Yoshi: I am glad we're finally getting a new one! And it looks more fun than Yoshi's Island DS in my opinion. Now give us a new Metroid and StarFox and I'm set till 2015.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

@3dcaleb - They aren't as powerful as some of the later subs in the game, they are more to have or shoot ahead in power for a while but higher levels can out level you.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Ordered this one a good while back now. Hoping to get it in the mail soon!

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

THE DINOSAURS HAVE RISEN AGAIN! every man for himself!
@AyeHaley the helicopter is a old power up.
I'm not sure if I would want this one or not.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

With basically every recent game Nintendo's been going with this whole thing of mixing the game with the real world, and I think it looks really terrible. I understand that Nintendo games are largely aimed at kids, but commercials this cheesy are going to turn away a lot of older kids that might have been interested. It was stupid, and I'm very different now, but when I was a teenager I would have been embarrassed to buy a game with ads like these.

dazzleshell

dazzleshell said:

Why cant the kids pronounce Yoshi correctly. Yoshi even says his name at the start of the commercial! I wish they could bring out the snes Yoshi's island on the snes VC for Wii U.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I beat Yoshi's Old Island for GBA recently, and I just don't like it as much as I want to. So the chances of me getting this $45 game are slim...or fat. Whatever way you like to say it, I guess.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Oh yeah, that game is out this month? lol
Might have to wait a couple more months, ah well.

Dr_Corndog

Dr_Corndog said:

Had to come in here to check the release date so I'd know when to expect Yoshi's confirmation in Smash Bros.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Doesn't beat the Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ad by a long shot; so the Wii U commercials currently are 1-upping over the 3DS ones, which would be unheard of last year. That Yoshi 3DS XL does look nice, though.

Recent videos have made me feel a bit better about this game, but I'll be waiting for reviews too.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

@IceClimbers Most current teenagers weren't even alive when that commercial came out. They don't have nostalgia for old commercials, and I don't think they can tell the difference between a throwback and something that's just "kiddy".

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

What exactly were they thinking with that bobsled yoshi?
I mean before he just skied as normal.
Untitled
Now he's just a giant head on skis?!
Untitled
That's not a transformation, that's more an abomination.

luke88

luke88 said:

I don't like the emphasis the narrator to the yoshi's new island advert puts on the first syllable of 'yoshi', as in YO-shi. Is that how it is pronounced throughout North America?

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

The original is such a great game with surprises around every corner,what a shame this looks to be such an uninspired sequel.

ggirl

ggirl said:

OH MY GOSH! I LOVE SEEING JAY JAY WARREN IN THIS COMMERCIAL! I KNEW HIM FROM TEXAS A LONG TIME AGO! WAY TO GO JAYJAY(HES THE ONE AT THE END)! IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!