Wii Sports Club: Golf Adds Resort Course as a Free Extra

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Additional free trial on the way

Nintendo's certainly been busy with its updates this week, conducting eShop maintenance and updating both Steel Diver: Sub Wars and Wii Fit U. We can now add Wii Sports Club to the mix, though the update is to give us additional content rather than fix or improve minor bugs.

This new and free content is for Wii Sports Club: Golf, with the 9-hole course from Wii Sports Resort now included. You can either take it on in part or as a whole, or complete 18 holes with one of the other courses originally included — Classic and Lakeside. There's a software update waiting for you when you next run the game, which will add this Resort course and boost your total available holes from 18 to 27.

In addition Nintendo of America is providing another free trial next week for those yet to purchase the permanent "Club Pass" for the respective sports. The region has confirmed that Wii Sports Club will be free to use in full from 9am Pacific / noon Eastern on 21st March until 11:59pm Pacific time on 23rd March. Even if you've used a free trial before you'll still be eligible for this offer, and we'll enquire as to whether a similar trial is coming to Europe.

The Resort Golf course is available right now in Europe and North America. Will you be digging out your virtual clubs for a round?

Related Games

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I was actually going to download this game today. I'm glad to see the game get updated with the Resort courses!!! =)

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

I'll most likely muck around with it a bit during the free trial, but I'm still waiting on a retail collection. Also, given its...unique mechanics, I don't play the Golf game much. I find it messes with my real golf swing. Here's to hoping for a spiritual sequel to the near-perfect Tiger Woods 10.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

These WiiU sports games should be "system sellers". Nintendo hasn't marketed these games enough, shocking I know. But everybody has played wii sports. Do those "casuals" know about the online features, new courses, updated mechanics and graphics? Nope.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Downloaded the trial when it was announced but not installed the dl yet so it doesn't activate the trial period. ( not sure if this is supposed to be possible or a loophole, did the same with Wii fit u and my 1 month free trial started despite being over for a new do trial!)
Guess I should give it a try but don't think I'll be buying a season pass unless it gets padded right out with content or reduced in price.

fortius54

fortius54 said:

I think this is a step in the right direction. It would be great if they made new course holes available more. I think it would be great knowing that a title would add new content regularly. They could use the business model that Spin the Bottle uses. As you add more, early adopters get it for free, but the price slightly increases for new players.

Rei7

Rei7 said:

How I wish the price for each game was cheaper.. It's like the same Wii game with enhancement.. I wouldn't pay each for 10$. But maybe if each was 5-7$ I might rethink about it.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

I'm happy to have a 3rd course. For $10 I got a golf game that I enjoy and to be honest, I'd pay for extra courses if they offered them as DLC. But free is better.

RetroBillyT

RetroBillyT said:

I really like the way Nintendo add these features for free- I'll be flying back to WuHu Island this weekend!

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

@fortius54 good call man, these games would be perfect for that model alongside optional dlc for mote options quicker. Would shut up the 'I'm not paying again for a old Wii game' crowd whilst giving fans more value and choice.

millarrp

millarrp said:

I hope they continue adding stuff from Wii Sports Resort to Wii Sports Club, especially other sports. Would be nice to have all of them in one collection....

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

I haven't used the free trial for this game. Perhaps I'll use it tonight and then use it again next week! ;-)

rjejr

rjejr said:

So we're sure about the "free" weekend - noon Friday to midnight Sunday - for people who have already had a "free" trial? The last time there was an alleged "free" trial it was apparently not for anybody who had used the free trials before. I know, I tried several times, then got lambasted on here for thinking I could get another free trial.

Mahe

Mahe said:

@shigulicious WS Club is a poor quality rehash, not a system seller. I won't even try out the "new" courses - I can already play them at no extra cost in Wii Sports Resort.

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

Golf club is the only game I've ever played where the video game is actually harder to play than the real thing!
Wii Sports Club is a weird beast. It gets rid rid of all the easy pick up and play of Wii Sports and adds shallow online and sometimes terrible controls (golf). I've been pretty disappointed in it :(.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@Mahe I disagree that it's poor quality but I don't think it's high enough quality to be a system seller. It should have been free like Wii Sports. Hopefully the fact they've added 9 holes to bowling and somehow improved the lag and matchmaking of tennis will mean the whole package might be made worthy of being a full price game by the time baseball and boxing are released.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@Captain_Gonru EA could either port the next Tiger Woods or just port an old one with Wii U controls and a couple of gamepad features. I know they hate Nintendo but they're refusing to make a game that would be easy for them. I'll have to buy the new golf when I reach level 10* on tennis :)

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Nintenjoe64

"Hopefully the fact they've added 9 holes to bowling" LOL

But I agree with you. You can have a lot more replay value on this than in the Wii games since it has online.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Isn't a course in golf 18 holes...wait I read up, it can be 9 holes too.

It is great these are added but shouldn't they have been present in the first place. It would be like saying they've updated bowling to add Motion+ support.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

@Captain_Gonru It actually does. I'm a hard hitter who draws the ball and when I make a mistake it's 90% hooks. But in this game I'm constantly slicing the ball. After a few holes in the free trial I just stopped taking it seriously to prevent altering my actual swing. Just treat it as a game and not a real sport :P

allav866

allav866 said:

I did enjoy Golf more than Bowling and Tennis during the last free trial... With 27 holes, this seems to be worth twice as much as what they're charging. I think it's time for me to buy it.
Also, I hope they keep it up with the surprise announcements. Maybe later down the line, we'll see the course from the first Wii Sports Game added in... I kinda hope we get Baseball before that happens, though.

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

Well this is cool. I hope they release a sequel to Wii sports resort as It was one of the best games on the Wii. This sequel would have online and it be cool if you could walk, bike, or even drive around the island.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@Hy8ogen Good point. Still, given a choice between the two, I'd rather play a game that has actually HELPED my real game. A Pro Control mode, maybe?

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

@Captain_Gonru Not to bash Nintendo but this is just another "game" they make. Nintendo does not have the technological know how on how to actually measure a swing/face position/stance position and how they affect the ball-spin etc in order to simulate a more realistic golf game.

Not saying this game is bad, this game is fantastic and very enjoyable. But I wouldn't treat it as a learning tool...which it was not designed to be.

If I really want to improve my swing or my game, the driving range and practice green is a better idea imo....

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@Nintenjoe64 I'd love a port of the next PGA game (I recall that it won't be "Tiger Woods" any more), but I'd settle for a realistic mode in the next Mario Golf.

Smug43

Smug43 said:

there is nothing wrong with the controls.. whoever says so, well, you just suck at it.. nuff said.. I love this news!!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

This is awesome!!! Not only do we have the classic course from Wii Sports, the game also included the course from the original NES Golf, and now we get the course from Wii Sports Resort! And for free!

People sure love to hate Nintendo for all kinds of reasons, but this is why I love them. And the Wii Sports Club Golf is REALLY friggin good too- one of my favorite games on the system as a matter of fact. It's just, it's flawless. It's how golf is meant to be played digitally- I absolutely love it. Well, time to hit the green, then back to time trials in DKC!!!

cheleuitte

cheleuitte said:

I loved Wii Sports so this new version has all Wii Sports was missing, why not buy this?? nintendo need to release the bundle that is comming to japan here in america and europe to boost sales in the casual market!!

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

Pretty cool now I wan to dig out Wii sport resort I forgot how fun that bugger is. Maybe they will redo that some day. I thought shooting hoops was fun.

vattodev

vattodev said:

Golf is my favourite sport in the game. And that course is also my favourite now. The castle on the background and the shore are nice additions.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

Now that Resort is out I'm tempted to keep myself punched in work for an extra half-hour's overtime to afford this! Thanks Nintendo!

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

So, they added the WuHu courses and it allowed them to bump their game back up to the 1st spot on Miiverse? Why doesn't every game get this treatment with DLC lol