Video: We Dash Through the Sonic Lost World Legend of Zelda DLC

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Sonic and Legend of Zelda, together at last

As many of you are no doubt aware, Sonic Lost World has more free Nintendo-themed DLC today — The Legend of Zelda Zone. As with the Yoshi equivalent before, it's a special free level that includes two distinct areas.

You can't play as much as you want without a bit of effort, however; once you play it once you need to accumulate 100,000 points in the main game before it unlocks again, the same as with the Yoshi level. That cruel rule aside, it's a fun little diversion that includes an open initial area before diving off into a fast-paced linear section.

It's a fun mash-up, albeit with some wonky camera work at points, and can actually be beaten very quickly; there is scope to find hidden extras, however.

For your entertainment we've done a bit of a speedrun, showing you the main parts of the level without delving off and showing all of the secrets. Check it out below and, if you have this DLC, let us know what you think.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

This new Sonic Lost Worlds DLC sold me in getting this game for Wii U. I unfortunately got the terrible 3DS version of this game.

MamaLuigi

MamaLuigi said:

I decided to download this for the DLC alone. Yes, even though the main game is still pretty fun judging from the demo, I still think Sonic crossing over into Nintendo territory far outweighs the disappointingly rushed Wii-waggle Secret Rings and Black Knight.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

It's definately an awesome bonus to people who have got the game and judging from people's responses this game is going to see a slight sales boost so well done on Nintendo and Sega for making this happen.
Although I'm not too interested in picking up the game I greatly enjoyed that arrangement of the Link to the Past Dungeon theme.

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

I was kind of disappointed with how short it is even if you do search for the extras (I found three heart containers and the gold rupee, anyway) but it was definitely a fun little romp with the Zelda world as Sonic. Nintendo needs to do stuff like this more often.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

For a short stage, watching a video would count for a spoiler to me, so I will pass.

allav866

allav866 said:

@MamaLuigi The 3DS demo left a better impression on me than the Wii U demo, but I'll gladly pick up the Wii U version if it means getting to play the DLC levels.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

This may have just bumped this game higher my my games to buy list.

allav866

allav866 said:

@memoryman3 3D Sonic the Hedgehog was actually pretty good for a port. I'm hoping SEGA and M2 make 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 in the near future.

yokokazuo

yokokazuo said:

I wish I bought lost world instead of Darksiders II... Haven't played much, but I haven't found it very exciting yet.

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

Can you imagine going back into the early 90's of the "Genesis does what Nintendon't" era and showing them this? I mean the SEGA fanboys brains would probably explode :D

bofis

bofis said:

So will this zone vanish after beating it like the Yoshi's Island Zone (well, until you get another 100,000 points elsewhere in the game) or can you repeat it to find different areas?

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@allav866 The mobile one by Christian Whitehead is a much better port. (Played with e.g a Madcatz Saturn style pad).

The M2 one introduces some more noticable bugs. (Whereas the Christian Whitehead one fixes some long standing issues).

@MuchoMochi That era has just restarted itself due to Nintendo putting in the absolute minimum possible amount of effort with its VC releases.

luigifan2000

luigifan2000 said:

ill have to get this if they add one more awsome dlc free of charge. i was gonna get mk8 first...

TySoN_F

TySoN_F said:

I just played through this twice myself. This left a much better impact on me than Yoshi's Island. I love the sorta constricted free roam aspect and getting the lil extras here and there. Also graphically speaking, it's pretty beautiful. I was astounded when booting it up for the first time (I did not look at any images or videos prior!).

While I already genuinely liked Sonic Lost World, I think I now love it even more!

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Just played the level and it's great!

Not sure it's enough for push people who still didn't buy, but for who has the game and love both Sonic and Zelda this is a great DLC to get, we could even say the best gift ever OoO

Sure it's short, but full of details, crafted with care and all those efforts that clearly got into it are downloadable for free!
If all DLC could be like this the world of videogames would be a much better place :D

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Honestly, I had loads more fun playing the DLC levels than Lost World itself. Too bad Sega has to implement the "Get 100,000 points to play again" thingy.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Just got done playing the Zelda DLC, and it's really great. Camera can be awkward at times (since it's fixed view), but for the most part worked well.

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

Sonic tried to hit Link's Loftwing! Lol

I happen to like the 3DS version of SLW more minus the gyro. I wish that was getting some DLC as well.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

You got lucky this time Sonic Team, dem DLC is a must have for me but next time make the next Sonic game with GENERATIONS game play please.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

I'll admit I was a bit disappointed on how short the Zelda Zone is compared to other levels. However, let's face it, this DLC is free, and most importantly, IT'S ZELDA!

I hope the make a Metroid DLC and a Mario Galaxy DLC which would fit Lost World perfectly!

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

@Dark-Link73 yeah agreed, I didn't think about galaxy that would fit perfectly, I hope nintendo are giving Sega a little free rain on the levels they are aloud to make. Could get some quality stuff, I wonder how many sonic fans that don't own a wii u are on the fence now about buying a wii u and craving this sonic game lol

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

But how hard is it to rack up 100,000 points? Seriously. You just need to play one level, maybe two for that.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

I don't know about Sonic fans buying the Wii U for this game, but I'm sure Sonic and Zelda fans who own a Wii U and were on the fence about buying this game, are probably thinking about getting it now. ;-)

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

Suddenly, this sonic game becomes the beloved choice of Nintendo fans, just because it has a stage featuring Zelda, even though the gameplay does not change. Rumours are right - whatever games that features Nintendo characters, Nintendo fans will just eat it up, indiscriminating the actual quality of the game. Suckers, lol,..

darkgamer001

darkgamer001 said:

@GreatPlayer
Lol I loved the gameplay of Sonic Lost World even without the DLC...this is just icing on the cake....really, delicious icing.

But go ahead and call us suckers for enjoying these awesome bonuses. I'm sure you play really high quality games instead of something like this chortles

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

@darkgamer001 No, it was just an observation from many posts from here - whenever Nintendo made a game people like you will hail even though it is garbage. I am sure that many people here sing "Hail Nintendo" every day, just like "Hail Hitler." An example: how people like you hail about the off-TV gameplay with the Wii U controller. If people really need a second TV it is cheaper to just buy a HDMI TV. Are you one of them? chortles...

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

I really dont understand the hate for the game, its the best sonic game since sonic 2 on megadrive. Its easily the best 3D one available, seriously go back and play Sonic Adventure now. Its really not aged well and I used to love it

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@GreatPlayer
Pretty much this. Lame NIntendo tactic on their part. Oh yippie, a 'Zelda' theme....not tempting in the slightest. Even a mega man theme wouldn't spark my interest. None of this BELONGS in sonic's world, it's just a cheap cash crab tactic to lour in the blind Nintendo fan boys. :P Heck, Sumarai Warriors Wii U even had a Zelda theme...

darkgamer001

darkgamer001 said:

@GreatPlayer
So, let me get this straight...if you don't like off-TV play, then no one else has the right to enjoy it and "hail" Nintendo for it. Same goes for any other bonuses such as this one right here with Sonic.
Yeah, just an observation right there buddy...I've seen this attitude before, mostly from fanboys for a company now laying off people left, right and centre, but I digress...
not sure whether to laugh or cry

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

@darkgamer001 Of course you can enjoy it. It is just laughable that blind followers like you enjoy whatever Nintendo offers even though it is crap. People have kept saying that the second screen in Wii U has not served a clear purpose. Obviously it can decorate your living room, because people do not have enough TV in their house. That every day people like you praise "Hail Nintendo" is laughable...

Don't worry, Nintendo will soon shut down and everyone gets laid off.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

@WaveBoy The cheapest tactic is to rehash old games (Mario U. Dr. Luigi), to repackage old poor games (NES Remix) and to create a "new" game without putting much effort (Luigi U). The year of Luigi theme is pathetic - just a way for Nintendo to suck more money from Nintendo fanboys. Suckers!

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@GreatPlayer
I disagree about the gamepad, i think it's an amazing device, screams next gen and pushes gaming forward in a different + unique direction. Also, NES remix 2 looks awesome. If you disagree, than i'll never make you a king hippo pixel slushie ever again. Zoink! :P

As for Dr.Luigi, were we honestly supposed to get excited over this? Also, Luigi's Mansion 2 was nowhere near as good as the scores made it out to be, i'd personally nail it with a 7. Extremely tedious and lacking in difficulty, The GCN original hasn't aged too well in a few areas but I'd still say it's the better game! especially for the time....Those vaccum sucking cloth physics were mind blowing. :O

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

@WaveBoy I agree with the unique direction, but what is the actual use of the gamepad? NES Remix is a repackage of old games with poor control. Its review scores are not good either. NES Remix 2 may look more promising, but you do not know until it comes out. It is ironic that Nintendo games nowadays are actually worse than those in the SNES era.

zool

zool said:

The new Zelda game gives Link the ability to change into a hedgehog.

darkgamer001

darkgamer001 said:

"Of course you can enjoy it. It is just laughable that blind followers like you enjoy whatever Nintendo offers even though it is crap"
It is crap in YOUR OPINION, which you are entitled to, like I am entitled to the opinion that your opinion is crap. Not because you dislike this, but because of the fact that you generalize and call everyone that disagrees with you "blind followers"