Video: Here's a Neat Summary of How Video Games Can Make You Smarter

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

In moderation, remember!

There are still a number of people — even in the current-day when gaming is more mainstream and popular than ever — that try to say no good can come of playing video games. While those that use the hobby for enjoyment and relaxation, in moderation, can disagree until the end of days, it can be a tricky sell to those that dislike the core idea itself.

We know, of course, that gaming can be a power for good, whether it's simply through helping us to enjoy some downtime or actually benefiting gamers in terms of their education, fitness and reflexes. In fact, academic studies — some of which we've reported — have looked into the varied ways in which different kinds of games can help different age groups, as well as those with physical or mental challenges to overcome.

If you want a concise summary of why video games can be good for you, we'd certainly suggest checking out the video below; it cites some of the aforementioned studies, including one from last year that showed how Super Mario 64 can help to increase brain matter. It's by YouTube channel ASAPScience and was actually posted a couple of months ago, but came to our attention through this week's episode of BBC technology show Click.

Check it out and let us know what you think.

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

even though he probably found this all over the internet, it's still fun to watch

CDBz

CDBz said:

Video games taught me an awful lot about history. Because of the Total War franchise I became one of the best at history in my class!

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

How the hell did the test group play Mario 64 for 30 minutesa day for 2 months?

ikki5

ikki5 said:

and yet... at the same time, they make you lazy so even if you get smarter... you're too lazy to use it :P

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

well pokemon taught me math and zelda taught me to solve things by stabbing it with an awesome sword.

ToniK

ToniK said:

It seems that many games today include a ton of history or fictional lore. But the thing is, I really can't bother to read it all :) AC3 was my first Assassin's creed and I was overwhelmed by the amount of data. Mass effect too. Brief pieces of info is cool `a la Metroid Prime but walls of text is just too much. Thankfully it's usually optional to read em all. I just wonder who writes and/or gathers all that stuff.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Already knew all this stuff (I wrote an essay on it) but it's nice to see it presented like this :)

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@CDBz My gosh, same here!! Total War made me get really in to history and tactics, it's a great series for creating a well rounded person with general historical and tactical knowledge

Nintendude789

Nintendude789 said:

I've already seen this video a long time ago, but it is pretty neat what video games can do to us.