Twitch Claims Victory in Pokémon Crystal

Posted by Andrew Karklins

Adventure in Hoenn Begins Next Week

TwitchPlaysPokémon has spawned a massive following and fanbase. An insane amount of artwork and history have been created by thousands of dedicated fans of the series. Now, with two games under its belt, the internet phenomenon will begin its journey in Hoenn next week.

The stream defeated the Elite Four and Champion in 9 days, 21 hours, and 25 minutes since beginning the adventure in New Bark Town, but the journey was far from over. Atop Mt. Silver, where a team consisting of a god, prince, and an all-terrain vehicle resided, the final battle awaited. The creator of the stream was able to program the original team from the Pokémon Red adventure into the game. The battle was a tough fight for AJDNNW and his team of Feraligatr, Espeon, Pidgeot, Dragonite, and Steelix. Displaying strength and determination, the Johto team was able to defeat Red and claim victory on the summit of Mt. Silver 13 days, 2 hours, and 2 minutes into the journey.

So what now? With two full games conquered, what is next for the popular stream? Well, the stream has been confirmed for a third run for Pokémon Emerald. Beginning six days from today, the stream will begin a new adventure in a brand new region. Hopefully, this will allow viewers to regroup and recover in preparation for a difficult journey

Over the past few weeks, the stream has been showing its power to unite players and overcome fearsome obstacles. But even so, it has displayed a severe drop in popularity. The days of seventy thousand concurrent viewers are over, now with an average of around fifteen to twenty thousand at even peak times. What does this mean for the future of the series, with the game becoming more complex as we approach the DS era? As of right now, the answer remains unknown.

Did you watch the Pokémon Crystal stream, and are you anticipating the next journey in Hoenn? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below. This writer's viewing declined quite rapidly as the stream progressed; While excited for a new journey, new Pokémon, and new lore, the feeling of anticipation and excitement the first stream brought seems quite difficult to duplicate.

A full video of the stream's finale is below.

Warruz

Warruz said:

Needs a game switch now, this went way faster then the first and is a lot less interesting as things are established now.

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

Again they finish the game while I'm sleeping; I swear I must be cursed to miss out on seeing most of the good parts live. Oh well, I'll be watching TPP Emerald; Crystal started out a bit weak because of the trolls and the greater linearity of Johto, but it proved to have its own unique challenges. A week-long break at this point makes sense to me.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I guess all the jerks from the first one got tired of screwing with them. That was way fast.

BenAV

BenAV said:

The new input system that they introduced for Crystal kinda sucked, because it meant we spent more time than we needed to in Democracy and got through all the hard bits really quickly rather than struggling for hours like in Red (which was part of the fun... Route 9 ledge was the best part).
But it did have its fun moments.

Swiket

Swiket said:

They really should've taken a longer break after finishing Pokemon Red. The initial appeal of the first one was seeing how far we could get with pure anarchy. Democracy should only be used as a crutch for areas where you need to be precise, like the Rocket Hideout.

Melkac

Melkac said:

@DonnaxNL Impossible. A 3DS emulator would be needed.

Well...there's no need for democracy in R/S/E, so maybe the creator will only use Anarchy...?
Maybe...?
I guess there's Wallace's gym...

Pit-Stain

Pit-Stain said:

Just imagine how long will it take for them to clear the eighth gym in Pokémon emerald.....

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

So how does the whole Red Trainer work? Does it use your file from red when you get to him in Gold/silver/crystal?

Cinaclov

Cinaclov said:

@Pit-Stain Honestly, the sheer number of comments like this in the past for different sections that they then precede to blitz through means I have little doubt that any game that is put forward will be conquered. Wallace's gym is no more difficult than Jhotos Ice Cave, another section people were saying would never get completed in the run up to it.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

@HawkeyeWii What the previous reply said. They were playing a romhack. This also explains how they got a steelix by evolving an onix at level 35, no trading required.

Crimzonlogic

Crimzonlogic said:

I started painting a fan art early on in the Red playthrough. I never expected them to finish that game, let alone start and finish another! And my painting isn't even done yet!

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

This is a great way of getting people interested in Pokemon games. If Nintendo were clever they'd release Red and Blue on Virtual Console ASAP.

But this is nintendo. So we'll probably get Ice Hockey or something :/

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

There's NO WAY they can POSSIBLY beat Pokemon emerald! The sky Pillar will conquer them, utterly...

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@PrincessEevee9
Why is that? These twitch plays can only be good for the series, if anything people will watch them and get the urge to play the games themselves. Its even better for younger fans who missed out on them.

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

Too bad I missed it. It was a nice touch replacing the default 'mon with the final team of the first TPP

WiiChuck103

WiiChuck103 said:

I haven't been keeping up, but the fact that they got to Red at all and beat him on the first try baffles me, even when there are less trolls.

Interneto

Interneto said:

I'm playing Pokémon Blue again thanks to TPP. It made me really excited about it and here I am now facing E4!

Mida

Mida said:

@BenAV that's why the Red playthrough sucked badly because stupid little trolls made it ridiculously slow struggle. Getting through the hard parts quickly made it fun and rewarding. You got your idea all backwards...

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

I was watching the stream when they were facing Red! The hype was unreal! :D

Also, I heard they're trying to beat the E4 again to get Red to re spawn so that they can face him again for the heck of it. :P

I'm glad that the streamer is waiting to start Gen III. I warmed up to Gen II after more lore was established but I was burned out on the original so I was just bored at the start, only checking every couple of days.

Hordak

Hordak said:

How about TwitchPlaysBattletoads on the NES without any cheats or emulation. That game is the ultimate test of skills, if you ask me. I've still yet to beat it and I got the game within a month of its original release in the U.S.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

I don't get the people who try to "troll" this series. That's like sticking your foot out to trip a guy who's dragging himself across the floor! It's strangely unambitious as internet hijinks go.

Interneto

Interneto said:

@Nibelilt "Also, I heard they're trying to beat the E4 again to get Red to re spawn so that they can face him again for the heck of it. "

Well not anymore then. They are no longer playing Gen II.

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

Wait gen 3! Oh no not the water routes. All of the rocks and corners. I got lost in there playing by myself.

SDDMN

SDDMN said:

@Melkac I heard the creator might have a system where at the beginning of every hour democracy takes over, but if there's a big enough amount of votes for anarchy, it'll switch to and remain in anarchy for the rest of that hour.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@PrincessEevee9
Not to be snarky but you do know your don't have to watch it, right? I don't like MTV but Its not like I hope it goes off the air.

Besides, having a laugh at the stupidity of it all is part of the fun, especially if your also laughing at yourself.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

@C-Olimar Am I the only one that hates he idea of Virtual Console Pokemon games? Nintendo would be too lazy to add a game link feature and without trading the games would be impossible to complete. That would be awful. The only way I'd even be remotely interested is if full trading and battling was still possible between linked games. Otherwise, forget it.