Shantae and the Pirate's Curse Taking a Couple More Months for "Finishing Touches"

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Winter's no weather for her getup, anyway

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is a jaunty number many fans have been wishing patiently for, but that patience might have to hold out just a little bit longer.

Although developer WayForward originally delayed the game into a Q1 timeframe, a tweet from the company's account today points toward a post-March release instead:

It seems WayForward doesn't want the half-genie's latest adventure to come out half-baked. Has another delay altered your feelings toward the game, or are you still happy to hold out for Shantae? Let us know in the comments.

[via twitter.com]

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Sometimes I feel Half Genie Hero will appear before this one. But I will always take delays over rushed, unpolished games.

ApolloJustice

ApolloJustice said:

I'm fine with video game delays, even multiple delays like this and brawl, aslong as the finished product itself makes up for the extra time (well, in brawl's case, No). Though at this rate I can't help but doubt that we'll also get Half Genie Hero this year.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The first one is still the baseline. The second one wasn't long or hard enough.

I am interested in how it turns out compared to Shovel Knight.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'm fine with this since I still need to play the first game. As Miyamoto once said, a delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.

Toodles

Toodles said:

Just like the previous delay, though I am looking forward to playing this game, I'm glad they're taking the time they need to make it as good as possible!

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

If Shantae knew how to transform into a polar bear, then we could had this game sooner, but oh well. In the meantime, she can work on those moves, and purchase more hair gel XD

xj0462

xj0462 said:

i find it ridiculously hard to believe that finishing touchs would take 2 months

Jampie

Jampie said:

I'm fine with game delays if they're trying to polish them more before release. I have a huge backlog anyway, so I'm in no rush to play it. :P

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

I've been looking forward to Pirates Curse for what feels like forever, but like @sinalefa said, I'd much rather wait a few extra months than tackle a bunch of bugs from something that's been rushed, so it's all good with me guys.

Besides, as much as I'm looking (Way) Forward to Shantae's latest handheld adventure, it's Half-Genie Hero on Wii U that I'm most excited for!! :-)

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Well at least that way we know they'll make a good job, unlike those licensed games they rush every once in a while.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I've been waiting so long for this! And now you're delaying it for the third time!
I know it's better to wait until they're really satisfied with their work... but I can hardly wait any longer!
... well, there's nothing else I can do but wait.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Man, first Treasurenauts is pushed to summer now this. At least we have Shovel Knight this month.

MetalKingShield

MetalKingShield said:

There's no game I'm looking forward to more than Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, but I'm not disappointed by this delay as I wasn't expecting it sooner anyway. I just hope it's as cool as Risky's Revenge.

Hopper2004

Hopper2004 said:

@xj0462 Wait... I've developed a negative number of games? I'm not sure if I should be proud or disappointed.

Also, I haven't actually published any games, but I use to make them. They would all be simple and I never finished any, but still. So technically, unless you have done the same, I have developed more than you? :P

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Oh well, though at the moment it is the download I'm looking forward to on the 3DS the most

brianvgplayer

brianvgplayer said:

As I tried to say before, the tweet saying that the game MAY come out in March wasn't a delay since the game was originally listed for Winter (which is the December-March timeframe). Yes, it said Winter 2013, but since December is the only winter month at the end of 2013, it probably would have released in 2014 anyway. However, this new announcement really is a delay.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

As a kickstarter backer for this title, I'm stoked their not taking the easy road by rushing development. Cheers, can't wait... ;)

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

@StarDust4Ever

This game was never on Kickstarter. You're thinking of Half-Genie Hero.

Whatever. It's annoying, but waiting is preferable to a glitchy, half-finished mess of a game.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

The way I see it, it's better to push it back. Wayforward is known for doing this - they'll keep pushing it back until it's perfect.

Besides, I have around 50 games I need to work on between my 3DS, my Wii U, and my Steam library.

HyperSonicEXE

HyperSonicEXE said:

This is still a good thing. Shantae and RR probably come across as dated to the modern market. Anything that gives this game the graphical edge it needs to wow people and be considered modern is alright by me.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

Darn it and this is one of the 3ds games I've been looking forward to most of '14 so far...well polishing things up is always better than rushed, as has been said before, but still sad to see a delay. ): Have been waiting since I finished Risky's Revenge.

Can't wait for Half-Genie Hero either. :)

KarateKid1234

KarateKid1234 said:

@xj0462 You haven't made any games. AT ALL. So what makes you think you can jump to conclusions and say "finishing touches" take less than a month? Personally, I have lots of games in the works, but not for publish on Consoles, maybe on PC and Steam. I say, personally, it probably takes a very long time. I mean, films such as Monsters University took about 7 months to polish. I have not finished ANY of my games, bu, please do not jump a conclusion before knowing so.
P.S. all of these games are on a very long hiatus and will be made all over from scratch since the pc i made them on doesnt work anymore.

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

I'm good with this. I'd rather have great cookies than crappy ones. And WayForward does such an amazing job with EVERYTHING!!!

Romeo

Romeo said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Love

i have been waiting soo long for this game now.. checking again and again if they've finally announced a new release date, but it was awlays "q1 2014"

then it said early april.. and now a couple more months?
love that... next time tell us earlier, damn

Splatom

Splatom said:

I think I might have to pick all 4 Shantae games up! (Including Half-Genie Hero and Pirate's Curse!) ;)

Gashole

Gashole said:

Good, another 3DS eShop game I won't be buying. Way to keep my wallet closed, Nintendo!

DinoFett

DinoFett said:

Let them take their time. I like the first two games and the characters, By now this should have had an animated series.

Morph

Morph said:

I'll never understand why devs dont set more realistic releases in the first place, and if it comes out sooner then great. I've never heard anyone complain about a game coming earlier than expected. As it is delays dont bother me if it's to add extra polish

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

My feelings for the game remain the same; that the franchise is overrated and was only viewed so highly because the rest of the DSiWare library is mostly terrible, so naturally I wont be buying it anyway. :)

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Well that's actually very good news since there's like three games I buy this month. Three retail games! Never done that before and propably won't again.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I would prefer the game not be glitch-ridden, or have graphic/audio issues. I am not surprised, but glad WayForward is doing this. I want the complete, polished, bug-free game. This will probably be a very late Spring, or early Summer e-Shop drop/release. I can take that. This will also give me time to finish the 1st 2 titles, though first I have to buy RR. I'm cool with this. Edit #1: I have the funds for Pirate's Curse now, so I'm good. I'll just hold 'em a while longer, & get around to RR very soon.

DASchenk

DASchenk said:

So yea im mad. But only because im basically looking wa~ay forward to this game and check for it weekly. I did the same in December, because thats the release date they gave.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

It just makes the summer even more worth it when we have this arriving sometime after Mario Kart I would suppose.