Pure Chess Will Checkmate Your Wii U And 3DS Very Soon Indeed

Posted by Jowi Meli

Developer VooFoo had to fine-tune the cross-platform multiplayer

There was a bit of a delay making the jump to Nintendo platforms, but Chess nuts need not wait much longer. Pure Chess publisher Ripstone has today announced that the highly anticipated digital title will finally be making its way to the 3DS and Wii U eShops on March 20th.

The game — coded by VooFoo Studios — boasts development input from a chess Grandmaster, as well as cross-platform play between Wii U, 3DS and iOS/Android devices. Newcomers needn't be scared off by the game’s huge chess cred, either: the title aims to expand the audience of players by offering a set of tutorials to hone your skills.

Here's what Ripstone's Creative Director Phil Gaskell had to say about the news:

Cross-platform play was a feature we all wanted to see in the game, but we underestimated the effort & technicalities involved with getting it right. We think the delay has been worth it, and can’t wait for players on all different devices to begin issuing challenges.

Pure Chess will be available for £4.99 / €5.99 / $7.99. Will you be investing? Let us know with a comment.

Related Games

Emblem

Emblem said:

Not a fan of chess (i suck) but my brother loves it so i might pick it up for when he comes over. Love the price point and the cross platform play, very awesome.

WesCash

WesCash said:

$7.99 on 3DS? I suppose that's reasonable, though I'll have to wait on the reviews. The video is gorgeous, but clearly it's the Wii U version and almost certainly pre-rendered.

TDS_Computer

TDS_Computer said:

Cross play between Wii U and 3DS? I will buy it just to support the first company to try that! Awesome!

kendorage

kendorage said:

so the roman(?) chess pieces dont actually fight when you move them ala battle chess back in the day? next-gen, i am disappoint:(

jk, i actually might get this despite not being good at chess. cross platform online play helps seal the deal.

JohninMotion

JohninMotion said:

Finally! I was afraid this one had been dropped but I am glad it is finally around the corner. I will definitely pick this up!

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Want this! Wish it was a little cheaper though, mainly because I want both versions. Does it have same system multiplayer on 3DS?

Webby-sama

Webby-sama said:

I have a long history of playing Chess and developing my own style of doing without thinking but still doing well. I'll probably pick it up before too long.

Ste

Ste said:

I was expecting 9.99 here in the USA so the price is a pleasant surprise. Will probably get it but going to wait for the review. I know Pure Chess on the IOS is very barebone albeit free, and you have to buy the different sets, environments and even some of the skill levels, so it depends what all this comes with.

jkvasn

jkvasn said:

HAHAHA This is the most hilariously overdone trailer for a chess game!!!

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I actually never played chess before which is strange, but if it's cheap on android I might get it and learn!

Mowzle

Mowzle said:

If this game is really as good as it sounds, I will get it.
I really want to learn to play chess properly.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

The wii U version looks really gorgeous and its pretty much eye candy for me. Unfortunately I don't have a wii U yet, so I hope the DS version at least tries its best to look like the wii U version.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Hopefully it offers some voice chat functionality. Might be mostly a gimmick, but talking to your opponent makes chess a lot more relaxing and personal.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I hope the tutorials work well to teach me how to play chess. I'm really only buying this game because it looks really beautiful haha.

Nintendude789

Nintendude789 said:

Eh. I have a cheaper version of chess, Absolute Chess (Anime Chess! Even though I'm not a fan of it) as DSi Ware for 5 bucks. But the crossplay online multiplayer cought my attention.

My only concern is that it's overpriced. Maybe like 5 or 6 bucks will be Ok. I'll pick up this game when price drops.

Subie98

Subie98 said:

Take my money. I used to attend chess tournaments. Rating of 1930. Wish I was still that good.

Action51

Action51 said:

@shigulicious in competitive chess they used to have these little clocks on the side of the table that you slap after you move and it starts a timer for the next player, that's usually how it works. I think it's like 2 minutes usually?

Hope they have an option for setting your own time limit per move.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I'd get it if it was cross-buy, but as it is I'll wait for the review and most likely discounts before buying any version.

smikey

smikey said:

I'll be getting the wii u version waited a while for this read somewhere ages ago it would be out before xmas 2013 (though that may never have been right)
I play chess virtually every day online (free admittedly) but I'm still looking forward to giving this ago and coming up against new players.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

I'll be getting this, I love chess and being able to play it on my 3DS and Wii U would be awesome!

Mochtroid

Mochtroid said:

Definitely going to get this for both Wii U and 3DS. Cross platform play with iOS and Android devices as well? OH YES!!

Liquid_ice

Liquid_ice said:

I'm looking forward to this. I have always liked chess, but I rarely have an opportunity to play it.

Everly

Everly said:

The thing that caught my attention about this title isn't the cross play between Wii U and 3DS (we see that with MH3U as mentioned) but also with Android and iOS devices. There are several titles that are released on Nintendo devices, Playstation, Xbox, PC, and Smartphones. It would be great to see connective tissue exist between all of the different platforms so no matter what device you play on you are part of the community.

Perhaps VooFoo Studios is helping us take the first step into that area.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Count me in. It would be interesting to play chess on the Wii U. Sound a little weird saying that out loud. Hope I can get used to the traditional pieces since I normally play chess with the mario pieces in real life.

noctowl

noctowl said:

Not a fan of chess, but cross platform outside Nintendo is pretty cool. Very un-Nintendo of Nintendo.

Thaswizz

Thaswizz said:

I amazed about cross platform to mobile devices outside nintendo, Ill be buying it for sure specialliy cause cross platform makes sure large amount of online players.

Sam_Loser2

Sam_Loser2 said:

I'm almost certainly getting this. Maybe even on both Wii U and 3DS if it's really good.

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

Yes! Hopefully the PS4 release of this and VooFoo's negotiations with Sony will bring a true, next-gen cross-platform gaming experience to life!