Pure Chess DLC Will Be Available Day One, And Won't Cost As Much As You Think

Posted by Damien McFerran

Standard game will still have three sets and environments

This week sees the launch of VooFoo's Pure Chess on Wii U and 3DS, and publisher Ripstone has dropped us a line to confirm that varied DLC for the game — which includes new pieces and locations — will be available from the moment the game goes live on the Wii U and 3DS eShop stores.

Two types of DLC exist in the game. The individual chess sets — which can be played in any of the locations — and the somewhat grander (not to mention slightly more expensive) Chess game packs. These come with new pieces and a new environment to play in. The standard version of the game will come with three chess sets and three locations.

Individual chess sets cost €1.19 / £0.99 / $1.65 each, and are as follows:

• Halloween Chess Set
  • Easter Island Chess Set
  • Battalion Chess Set

Chess game packs cost a little more at €1.99 / £1.59 / $2.69 each, and are as follows:

• Roman Game Pack (Roman themed chess set & Roman-inspired environment)
  • Park Game Pack (Park animals themed chess set & leafy park environment)
  • Forest Game Pack (Isle of Lewis chess set & calm forest environment)

Check back with us tomorrow when we'll publish an extensive interview with Ripstone and VooFoo, exploring the development of both releases and the implementation of features such as cross-platform multiplayer.

Are you looking forward to getting your hands on Pure Chess this week — it'll cost £4.99 / €5.99 / $7.99 — and will you be buying any of the DLC? Let us know with a comment.

Related Games

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

Man that stinks. I thought all chess packs were included. I guess the price was too good to be true..I'll just limit myself to one dlc. When playing against an opponent will my chess board mirror his or vise versa?

Mikazi

Mikazi said:

It would be nice to have a Nintendo themed set. I'm sure people would buy it too

placidcasual

placidcasual said:

What id like to know is if I can play on the wiiu against my girlfriend on the 3ds? I know its cross platform multiplayer over the net but can I directly connect to the exact opponent I want either using local wireless or the interwebs? Anyone know?

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

"Day One DLC"!?!? Who else here, besides me, smells "rip-off"? If it's done, put it in! This bit of bad PR might back fire on him. Oh well. I might just wait now for a "special price" day since it doesn't include all boards shown in the video.

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

Wow...people really hate this day-one DLC nonsense. If you guys really despise it that much, you should probably take it up with the AAA developers who've blatantly abused such commodities (ie, EA, Ubisoft, etc).

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

That's interesting. Pure Chess released on iOS completely free, but allowed for small DLC transactions to build the game into your personal likings.

Regardless, it's a fantastic game.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

People will have an option to pay for extra content. That's alright I suppose but it's chess. And all I need is one board, one location. I think it would have been more wise to include all of the material at $9.99. I would have bought it anyway. But instead I'm getting the bare bones. Hopefully the pieces aren't so abstract that I can't tell the difference between a bishop and a rook. I can't wait to play. Curious to see how well I rank among others.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@Dark-Link73 The price of the game is very cheap compared to other Wii U eShop releases, and the DLC is entirely optional. How is this a rip-off? Even with all of the content, you're only looking at just over £12 - which is what many eShop games cost anyway.

smikey

smikey said:

I don't mind the dlc you only have to buy what you want.
I'll probably get everything eventually though.
it might have been a good idea to throw the lot in as second option though say the game + all dlc for maybe £10 offering players a small discount for early purchase.

& @ MMurad i have two of those (on for playing on for display) would like to see something similar in the game at some point

ElkinFencer10

ElkinFencer10 said:

Day One DLC is a scourge to gamers everywhere. As @Damo said, it's not really a rip-off, but it is, in my opinion, the absolutely wrong way to do gaming. DLC should be made in response to consumer demand as extras. This DLC is purely "extra," certainly, but DLC should be because gamers love your game and beg for more. All Day One DLC does is milk people for more money. It's a fantastic business move, but it just feels dishonest to gamers.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

I downloaded it on Android the other day but it wouldn't let me register a new account or log in with my Google account,kept putting me back to start screen.Even tried forgot password but the email never came through.Tried several times and the whole thing was that cumbersome I gave up and uninstalled it.Don't know if its been caused by the update to Kit Kat 4.4 I just got?Hopefully they sort it out!

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

The base product is already great value so I'll probably also throw them a few bucks extra for a DLC pack.

Don't think it's good value? Don't buy it. Life is as simple as it sounds.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Kind of interested in this, but not sure that I care at all about the DLC - regardless of when it gets released. Chess is chess, right?

Might grab one pack if I like the game just to support the developer... but unless there was something special and unique being offered (Nintendo-themed or other licensed sets being a great suggestion) then I'm unlikely to move past the base purchase.

cmk8

cmk8 said:

I would love an expansion to be able to play exchange chess, don't really see the point in paying for different sets.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

@Damo "The price of the game is very cheap compared to other Wii U eShop releases, and the DLC is entirely optional. How is this a rip-off? Even with all of the content, you're only looking at just over £12 - which is what many eShop games cost anyway."

People have an inflated sense of self-entitlement. I personally see this pricing scheme as a "pay what you want" model and it baffles me how people are complaining about an optional purchase that is purely cosmetic and in no way enhances the experience of the product.

I buy this kind of stuff just to send a few extra bucks towards an Indie developer. This is not the same as a COD map pack.

PKpunky

PKpunky said:

Just one more day. Can't wait for some chess, but which system to get it for...

Airola

Airola said:

I guess the best way to do these "DLC at launch" things would be to offer the game as two types of purchase. You could get the whole package at, say, 9.99. If you don't want to pay that much, you could purchase a cheaper version with less content but with the possibility to purchase the rest of the content in small chunks with a price that would add up to being a bit more than the full package.

That way it would be tempting for many to buy the full package because it would be a bit cheaper, and there wouldn't be this DLC issue people seem to have here. And at the same time if someone isn't interested in paying 10 euros for the game, would be tempted to get the game for less money and decide later if he would want to buy the additional content.

I personally see no fault in how it's now done, but I think this could be a good thing to try (assuming that Nintendo even accepts systems like that).

It wouldn't be essentially much different from how it is now, but I think there could be a psychological effect for those who have deep issues with paying models like this.

darkgamer001

darkgamer001 said:

Should have a special bundle that includes all these DLC packs at least....

I must admit, this is putting me off. The pricing (for both the base game and DLC) is still not unreasonable, I want to make that clear....I just expected to pay a set price for all the content shown in their videos, and it looks like that won't happen. Think I'll wait it out now

FernandoMachado

FernandoMachado said:

People need to realize that almost all DLC that's out there is actually "day one DLC" even when they're not made available to the public on "day one", they are always ready before the games are released and then put out there a couple of months later with a lame afterthought press story.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

The game is a nice price and so is the dlc. I seen alt skins go for $3 and up on other games but they got a pass because it wasn't day one (as far as we know). I don't see the point of getting worked up over nothing especially when you're not forced into it.

Fingers crossed for a Nintendo themed set in the future.

zool

zool said:

I've got this on my Android and I bought the Lewis set with a forest setting.
Waste of money, the area is to dark and unless I turn the brightness right up on my phone (and drain the battery) it's hard to see any detail on the chess figures. This might work on a PC but not on my 5 inch phone screen.

What ever happened to 'Battle v Chess'?

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

@Damo Ok, so perhaps a "rip-off" was the wrong term to use. How about "false advertisement" or perhaps "enticing of a purchase under false pretenses"? The promotional video of the game showed around SIX different boards, not three (two of those boards were the Park Theme and Roman Theme board). During the length of the video, there wasn't any indication, or disclaimer, that the game would only have three basic boards and the rest would be sold separately. Thus implying that the base game would include ALL the boards advertised.

@kensredemption you say that EA and others "...abuse these commodities..." Indeed they abuse DLC, but they DON'T advertise it as part of the main game in their promos and press releases.

@damo I know by the headline of your article and your reply comments to other members that you have a bias in favor of indie developers (which I personally feel such bias shouldn't be exercised within the article itself [it's ok in the comments thought] but that's a debate for a different place and time). However, you also need to recognize when a developer, indie or not, has committed mercantile malpractices in an attempt to create hype and generate high sales. For my part, I am going to buy the game, but I don't think the developer deserves my full monetary investment in the game due to their unethical behavior, and as such, I'm going to wait until the game goes on sale, if ever.

It is the principle of the matter, and as provider of a product and a service, I think the developer has broken such principle.

BTW, false advertisement, is a way of "ripping off" consumer. Ergo RIP-OFF.

WesCash

WesCash said:

Oh well, at least it's just cosmetic stuff. Still waiting for the official Nintendolife review to decide whether or not to pick this up for 3DS.

millarrp

millarrp said:

I still plan to get the game, but I will hold off on the dlc. While I don't think it's unreasonably priced I don't know how much I will play it yet

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Getting it on Wii U. As like Zen Pinball I will only get what I like. I only have 3 tables on PS3 and Wii U each. Well besides Star Wars.

As for those getting upset it's only cosmetic differences and it's not like the insane pricing of DOA and Street fighter for outfits.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

I'm not a fan of day 1 DLC either but it's not like extra gameplay modes or missions like some games. That's the stuff that makes me want to bleed somebody.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I'm just happy to see 3 different price points. It always bothers me when everything is the same price, say 9.99, just in 3 different currencies. The world doesn't work like that.

And bonus points to the devs for making this cross platform.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

@Damo Have they put proper multiplayer into this game as opposed to the Sony platform's version of message system multiplayer? And can I play random opponents?

AddDavey

AddDavey said:

I might pick this up eventually, especially if it's in a sale.

The day one DLC thing doesn't bother me for a game like this where all the DLC adds is different skins, it's when a dev takes out a major piece of content just to release it as DLC that I get miffed off.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

I'll pick it up. too bad that some of it is DLC but I suppose that is life. I don't think I'll get any extras or at least not for a long time.

Zach

Zach said:

What a great opportunity for licensed content. Who wouldn't buy the Mario or Zelda Game Pack?

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Never understood day one dlc?! It goes against everything and everyone that says we put as much into the game we could and the add on content is something we did to add to the game at a later date. If this came out say 2 months from now it would make more sense. Don't support this crappy dlc!!

Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice said:

@Spoony_Tech

I have no problem with the DLC. If they included it, they would have charged more for the game. Instead, they have lowered the price and made the extra pieces optional purchases. I see no problem.

Now if it was a full priced retail release and they did this, that's a whole other matter.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

@arkady77

A. Mercantile - relating to merchants or trading. merchant - a buyer or seller of commodities for profit.
Malpractice -instance of negligence or incompetence on the part of a professional.

You said that the video "does not support the assertion" of being misleading or deceptive; therefore, the developer was NEGLIGENT when he failed to stipulate some of the themes featured in the video required additional purchase. Were SOLD SEPARATELY from the main game. Ergo, "mercantile malpractice". Just because a term has never been used it doesn't there's "no such thing". Thank you for reinforcing my point that the developer is at fault.

B. After paying $10 for the "bare bones" basic set, paying $1.65 for just making my pieces look different and almost $3.00 for a theme, seems a bit overpriced. Specially of the packs, as you stated, are only for cosmetic purposes and nothing else. But that's besides the main argument that the video implies they were included.

I'm not the only that feels this way, others have stated that they thought the game included what was shown in the video and/or that the DLC should've been included since it was done therefor giving a feeling the game sold is incomplete.

ScalingUpUps

ScalingUpUps said:

So, are you telling me that this game does not offer online matchmaking and chess ranking? If so.... this is garbage I can go onto yahoo chess, lmfao!

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

@ScalingUpUps I don't know about rankings, I thought it was supposed to have cross-platform multiplayer. If so I'm sure it'll have "online matchmaking". Otherwise how would you find matches online?

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

@ScalingUpUps I love chess as well. I began playing chess since I was like 4 or 5. Unfortunately I haven't played in years, so my skills are that of a novice. Let me know if you get it and what you think of it. My screen name here if also my Wii U's gamertag. If the game allotted for friend matchmaking I'll buy it to play with you. :-)