News: Indie Parkour Title Hover: Revolt of Gamers Slated for Wii U

Posted by Jake Shapiro

Jet Set Radio x Mirror's Edge?

French indie studio Fusty Game, creator of The Secret of Space Octopuses and Super Commodore Holy Tank Soccer Deluxe (it has a way with titles), has announced via Twitter that its new game Hover: Revolt of Gamers will be coming to Wii U this year, in addition to PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, and Xbox One. Hover is a futuristic racing game in the colourful vein of Jet Set Radio, but it uses the first-person approach of parkour classic Mirror's Edge. Check out the trailer for the alpha version here, running on the Unity engine:

From Hover's official Facebook page:

Currently in development since November 2013 and based on new technologies like the "Oculus Rift", it takes place in a 3D futuristic open world. The new Mayor of Hover-City is prohibiting video games and all sorts of entertainment. Anyone catched in such a act would be send to hard labour. You play the "Gamers". They created the Resistance to help citizen to get back their consoles, create a diversion among the Cops while others are hacking the Mayor propaganda . In front of Non Playing Characters and other players in multiplayer you have to show your skills (speed race, triks, agility, speed hacking, diversions...). Other Gamers will join you during the adventure. Try to become the leader of the Resistance!

Sounds like a cyberpunk dystopian fun time. Even better, the electronica-infused soundtrack is being produced by Hideki Naganuma, the composer behind Jet Set Radio. Parkour hasn't been explored nearly enough in gaming since Mirror's Edge pioneered it six years ago, and Hover: Revolt of Gamers will focus purely on the racing, without the unnecessary combat mechanics that bog down many titles in the genre. Hover is set to hit digital store shelves in late 2014.

[via nintendoenthusiast.com, twitter.com]

Sparx

Sparx said:

I'm sold on concept alone for now, only way I won't get it is if it ends up being terrible

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Sounds very promising. And it seems that you also have a third person view, judging from some parts on that video.

smikey

smikey said:

Maybe it's just me but the video didn't do much for me.
I get it's a racing game but it looked more like they were just running randomly around.
still maybe closer to release i'll take a closer look.

mr_sean

mr_sean said:

Looks very interesting and nice to see it's planned for this year as well

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I saw the video last week and loved it, but I had no idea it only had 5 months of development time so far! Definitely one I'll be watching.

erv

erv said:

Looks like a lot of fun. This begs for some great, simple online integration :D

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

that's not parkour. that's freerunning. i hate it when people can't differentiate between the two.

the game has nowhere near the style like jet set radio

Conocotarious

Conocotarious said:

Mirror's Edge didn't really "pioneer" parkour in games. Especially with Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia being around long before (and its doubtful they were the first).

That said, the game itself looks like a lot of fun.

CDBz

CDBz said:

I really like the look of this game, I hope it will have missions otherwise I wouldn't buy it unless it is cheap.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Hope there's some depth to this game. It looks good, but I'm weary that the mechanics and controls will fall flat. Hope not! I'd be excited to play this game if all that is well-polished.

NImH

NImH said:

@6ch6ris6 since you hate our ignorance of freerunning and parkour, do the public service of explaining the difference. Educate us, because besides watching parkour bails on YouTube, and knowing that Luigi is the master of the sport, I'm pretty much one of the ignoramuses who think they're the same thing.
This game looks really dang rad, for the record.

Alshain01

Alshain01 said:

@Conocotarious Agreed, I don't know why people think Mirror's Edge invented the genre when Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider have been around for ages, and then there is Assasin's Creed and the Batman Arkham series as well.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

@NImH

well basicly the difference is that with parkour you do not do any tricks or unnessecary moves. you go from point A to point B in the most efficient and fastest way possible. the entire philosophy is to get to know your body and its limits. also you feel a connection between you and your surroundings. you look at nature and urband areas in different ways.

freerunning is looking cool with flips and tricks. it's for posers :P

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

If there's third-person camera then groovy; first-person platforming doesn't seem like fun to me!

flexdawolf

flexdawolf said:

With a name like HOVER I thought they were going to be on hover boards......but I'll definitely like to see how it plays out.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

Saw this advertised on pc last week, now i'm even more excited its coming to the U! I think Ninty should try and get Overgrowth up and on the eshop its a totally mental fighting game, where woodland creatures use medieval weaponry in free for all and team combat. It features instant death and some really funny rag doll physics where throwing spears into rabbits becomes disturbingly hilarious.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Looks like fun, but as @6ch6ris6 pointed out, the footage shown has almost nothing to do with parkour.
But... I just don't know why. For some reason I don't like french art style for the most part. I've seen a lot of stuff with similar visual styles, and something just puts me off...

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

Yeah. Let's do this, Fusty! Not usually into the games like Skate or Tony Hawy: Pro Skater, but this looks really cool!

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

First-person perspective doesn't make me exactly happy, but this looks fun. Happy it's coming to Wii U.

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

This particular city looks like Haven City from Jak 2/3. The Shadows and Lighting need improvements but I'm hoping to download this asap on the first day I get a Wii U.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Hate the story, hate the art-style, hate the characters, hate everything it stands for but DANG, it looks fun!

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

Looks pretty great. I'm definitely considering this - I just hope that there is a two player mode, which is something that every racing game needs.

ModernMARVEL

ModernMARVEL said:

@6ch6ris6 That's good to know. I always thought parkour was the one with all the flipping. Thanks for telling the difference!

I'm interested for sure. Seems quite a bit out of my style, but I think I'll get it if it has a big story.

Ryo_Hazuki-san

Ryo_Hazuki-san said:

OMG looks like jet grind radio but baddonkey er... lol must buy this day one if it has online modes too that would be amazing !
Please watch the profanity — TBD

Josaku

Josaku said:

This will be joining my game libary wether it wants or not at day one! ^^

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I love the artstyle, and the constant motion. As long as the missions are compelling, this should be a great game.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

The is on my radar for now, looks totally kool and a nice change from all the other genres thats been getting released.

Action51

Action51 said:

Colorful, stylistic world, old school Tony Hawk and 1080 style tricks and scoring?

I'm liking what I see!

3MonthBeef

3MonthBeef said:

Nice. Too bad its multi-plat meaning most people will get it for their PS4 and PC. Bad for Wii U but good for the team that made the game.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

@ULTRA-64 well i havent trained for over a year. last year i was busy skateboarding :D
but i will try to train more this year. first i have to get some stamina again though :(

DiscoDriver43

DiscoDriver43 said:

That looks so awesome! It reminds me that i really need to play Jet Set Radio HD. Is that game any good?

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I just hope the camera works by moving your body with the gamepad in front of you, judging by the smoothness of the camera, I think this is the case. The Oculus Rift support for PC is also alluring. Will def keep this game under my radar, it looks like it could be a rare eShop purchase from me.