Mario Kart Arcade GP DX Now Available To Play At Dave & Busters

Posted by Conor McMahon

Never drink and drive, kids

Last year we announced the good news that Mario Kart Arcade GP DX would be hitting Western arcades some time in 2014. While everyone has been busy revving their engines in anticipation, the popular chain of arcade/bar/restaurant/super-fun-place Dave & Busters recently announced that it'll be stocking the machines.

Drivers start your engines! Race with Mario, Luigi, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong and many more in this arcade version. New courses, themes and karts, no two games will be the same! Who will cross the finish line first?

The title is now playable as part of its new lineup of games for the year, featuring the glider and underwater-driving mechanics from Mario Kart 7, 10 colourful courses and a new team mode where a pair of drivers can join forces in tank-form. In addition, players can continue to make use of that distinctive camera function, allowing a photo of your lovely, food-stained face to be used in game.

With Rosalina confirmed to be joining the roster and new fire/ice costumes for the Mario Bros.,
it's definitely enough to make those of us outside of the U.S. quite jealous indeed. Let's hope that it's enough of a success to warrant a few more machines popping up in Europe.

Be sure to let us know if you get the chance to play it for yourself, and happy racing!

Big thanks to T.J for the tip

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Naah, that would compete with MK8.

Still, if they ever relaunch the arcade section of the VC, perhaps Nintendo/Namco can add the first arcade MKs at least?

rjejr

rjejr said:

Ive been getting thir email promoting this for a few weeks now. They email almost every day but I find them to be a little pricey so only take my kids there about once a year. We go to Chuck E Cheese 3 or 4 times.

I wonder if they're promoting MK8 in store, now I feel obligated to go check it out.

I did my MK8 part today and bought a $1 pre-order card at Target. I felt bad for all my anti Wii U posts yesterday. My kids graduate religious instruction school the night of May 30 so Ill hand it to them there as a gift.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Angelic_Lapras_King No it wouldn't compete (Console Mario Karts are no fun these are great.) and anyway if competition was bad then there wouldn't be so many 2D platformers already.

These games have good balance (Like any good Arcade game hard to win but possible with enough practice and playing the game well. Mario Kart has the same balance as a broken arcade game. Tricking the AI is the way to succeed in it.)

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

This is basically advertising for Mario Kart 8. People will walk into D&B, see this, play after consuming alcohol, walk past a gamestop and see that a game like it is coming to Wii U, and buy it. Nintendo wins.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

There's been commercials for this for over a month now. I'd go if there were one near me...

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

Huh, I'd never heard of Dave and Busters before. Guess there isn't one in Tucson, but I'll keep it in mind for my next trip to Phoenix. I've always wanted to play the MK arcade games.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

Chuck E Cheese is for little kids and Dave & busters is, I guess, for adults who really miss their childhood. Near where I live there's an independent restaurant/arcade that's more in the middle, but they probably wouldn't have this...

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@rjejr

Joining the Nintendoomed bandwagon never pays.

Haha, just kidding. You usually make some of the most level headed comments here, hence why I reply to you a lot.

The game is out of stock on Amazon, so I wonder if they haven't opened the preorders yet, or if their stock actually sold out months before release.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@sinalefa - In my defense, I've never been on the Nintendoom bandwagon, they have 3DS and Mario IP, just dont get me started on my Wii U's future ;-)

I bought a Dreamcast and it stil stings. I'm still waiting for a Skies of Arcadia sequel.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Recently played it with my girl on our 2nd date. It was pretty fun, not quite as fun and charming as the main Mario Kart games, but we just kept finding ourselves coming back to it again and again.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@rjejr

I got a Dreamcast too. It was my first and sadly last Sega console. It died on me on 2001, but I kept the memory card and the games. I did not go back to console gaming until SSBB made me buy a Wii 7 years later.

The funny part is that a couple of months ago I bought some batteries to check if the VMU still worked, and the old save files seem to be intact. And I am still waiting for Shenmue 3!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@K-Gamer It wouldn't - I would buy this but not Mario Kart under any circumstances. (Would buy Excitebots / F-Zero / The next All Stars Racing (Presuming it is 60fps) but never Mario Kart total waste of time for me). Mario Kart (The console versions) is for people who hate the Arcades.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

All of these machines should have an ad on top that said. The New Mario Kart 8 coming to Wii U on May 30th.

This cannot compete with Mario Kart 8 because you cannot take it home.

parkerjames

parkerjames said:

I played it at D&B a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it. Its a very arcadey Mario Kart. There is a voice that narrates the whole race. Sounds sort if like the guy in NFL blitz. I didn't like some weapons. There was one where it turns your kart into a cake? Lol. I don't know what it did. There was a line for the game. People seemed excited.

NaturalGus

NaturalGus said:

Hi, Conor... at the risk of sounding like a jerk,i do have to correct you on this article... I have been playing this at Dave & Busters for about two years now. It isn't new. Or news.

ChuJelly

ChuJelly said:

JUST saw an advertisement for this on TV, specifically advertising that they have Mario Kart too. Odd, especially considering there's not even a single one of those restaurants in our state....
Pretty cool that people are able to play it there, though. Plus, the advertisements help put Mario Kart back in the minds of consumers before 8's release. Hopefully I can play the arcade game eventually :)

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

I saw a D&B commercial advertising this about a month ago... I jumped for joy when I saw it.

In other words, Nintendo Life,

Superryanworld

Superryanworld said:

I had a great time playing this a few weeks ago.I used to love going to arcades back in the day,so a trip to D&B is always fun for me.

astros75

astros75 said:

@unrandomsam

Look up the word "fact" before using it because you obviously have no concept of what it means. Also, your OPINIONS do not reflect the views of everyone else, so don't state that they do! I enjoy every single console Mario Kart game as much as I do going to the Arcade. I won't even bother commenting on the other trash you've posted.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I think like the look of this more than any recent console MK. Those are the most kart-like vehicles I've seen in ages! Will have to lookout for one of these machines.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

I'd head over and play it at D&B's but I may need to save up some money 1st.....while a fun place....it's a tad pricey.

WiiChuck103

WiiChuck103 said:

@Brickbuild101 I did play it. It was pretty fun! The graphics were really good, I couldn't hear the music, though, with all the noise. There was a weird power up system where you would do a roulette at the beginning to choose your power up in different race positions. Also, I don't know if it was just me, but wasn't nearly as fast as Mario Kart 7.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@unrandomsam I don't know why you keep posting comments about Mario Kart games being unbalanced or playing like a broken arcade game. You're pretty much admitting on every MK8 article that you lack the skill to overcome some of the trickier aspects of being good at console Mario Kart.

gatorboi352

gatorboi352 said:

@rjejr "They email almost every day but I find them to be a little pricey so only take my kids there about once a year. We go to Chuck E Cheese 3 or 4 times."

I always thought D&Bs were more adult oriented, at least in their pitch. Basically come have pricey grown up food, booze up on alcohol and then go be a kid again on the arcade stuff.

Does Chuck E Cheese even serve alcohol?

SlayerG

SlayerG said:

@Pixel-Perfect I live in Tucson as well and keep seeing these Dave & Busters commercials. Odd since the closest locations are Tempe and Scottsdale. Pretty cool to see a fellow Tucsonan on here.

SlayerG

SlayerG said:

@NaturalGus the game you have been playing for 2 years is Mario Kart GP 2, as that was released in 2007. This article is about the sequel to that game, Mario Kart GP DX, which was released in the winter of 2013 in the US. See this wiki page if you want more info: http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_Arcade_GP_DX . While they are a bit late in reporting this, this is both new and news.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

This is the game that gives me a new-found reason to go to Dave & Busters... now the trick is finding one nearby.

Falkor

Falkor said:

The inclusion of Pac Man as a racer is definitely exciting, albeit a bit confusing that he would be included in a game with "Mario" in the title. Is this a sign that we might get him in Smash Bros.?

Daisaku36

Daisaku36 said:

@rjejr never apologize for feeling the way you do, even if people disagree with you. Regardless, I have yet to see any promotion for MK8 anywhere, but I don't look because I buy everything I can on eShop. Now, I will prepare to be tarred and feathered for buying mostly on eShop and announcing it here.

Rafie

Rafie said:

Can some one honestly explain to me as to why these Arcade MK's never made it to consoles? If the previous consoles couldn't do it before, I'm more than sure the Wii U can support this now.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Falkor Remember that Namco Bandai normally develops these Mario Kart GP/X, etc titles. So it wouldn't be too farfetched to see Pac-Man and/or other Namco characters there.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@gatorboi352 - "Does Chuck E Cheese even serve alcohol?"

Every CEC I've been to does have beer, but I usually get the really bad coffee. D&B is certainly aimed at adults, not kids, but I have enough video game consoles in my house, when I do get out w/o my kids it isn't there. Though actually I think my wife and I did have a night out there about 8 years ago, but I don't think if it even was D&B then.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Daisaku36 - " Now, I will prepare to be tarred and feathered for buying mostly on eShop"

Surprisingly I see alot of people coming around to eShop on here. It's not for me, but people are certainly warming up to it. I don't expect to ever have an external HDD hooked up to my 32GB console. Of course I never expected to upgrade my 80GB PS3 to 500GB but PS+ changed my mind, and its nearly full now. If Nitneod ever starts a rental service via Wii U I suppose I'll need to get one. And once I got an external HDD I suppose I would want to fill it up as well. Maybe next gen when "fusion" comes out. Of course it may all be digital only by then and you'll be viewed as one of the trendsetters :-)

rjejr

rjejr said:

@sinalefa - "And I am still waiting for Shenmue 3!"

I'm still waiting for Shenmue 2, it only came out on Xbox in the US. Though mine still works, my kids like Ooga Booga, and the save points and little chao garden are still there for Sonic Adventure. And Sega Marine Fishing, we still have a functioning rod and reel.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Rafie The only reason there could be is Nintendo didn't want to. (The last versions used Triforce hardware which is basically a Gamecube Arcade board it doesn't even have any more RAM or anything).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Nintenjoe64 I won the 150cc GP first time I played it (First race I was running into the wall for about the first lap but still came first because of the bullet bill). Using something that according to its stats I shouldn't have had any chance whatsoever of being able to use. That is a game that is a complete waste of time to bother playing any more. (With the motion controls none the less).

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I think I played the first MKGP at a small arcade that used to be at the mall around here, was so sad when it disappeared one day along with Guitar Freaks. I would absolutely support some sort of MKGP release on consoles since in my neck of the woods they are about as common as a working cabinet for TMNT or The Simpsons... Which is to say it's nowhere.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@astros75 It is a fact. Enjoyment has nothing to do with it. (I would rather play Mario Kart than lots of sim racing games that are not broken doesn't make Mario Kart any less broken).

mamp

mamp said:

OMG you guys just gave me the idea to get drunk and play MK omg I bet it'll be crazy!!!

RR529

RR529 said:

Yeah, as others have said, I've seen commercials for this for about a month. Seems like they're advertising it as their current core attraction.

Oh, and for those of you who don't have a local location, but are seeing the commercials anyway (like @SlayerG). It's probably because they're buying time on a national network (like FX or whatever), and anyone watching that channel will see the commercial, since it's aired nationally.

Senario

Senario said:

@WiiChuck103 Same story here, saw it a few weeks ago. But good news none the less. Just hope that people who play it do enjoy enough to get the game lol.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Shame Finland doesn't have any arcades left anymore. They just stopped a few generations ago around the time PS2 and Dreamcast came to market.

Especially since Dreamcast was the first machine to really make perfect 1-to-1 conversions of any arcade games.

Ahh I miss those times in the 90's when I battled against a friend in a local arcade with Sega Rally.

nmanifold

nmanifold said:

I played this in Japan a few months ago, even though I won the first race I still had to put more money in to play another track. Rip-off!
(Twas fun game but the controls were more 'arcadie')

Ttimer

Ttimer said:

@Pixel-Perfect Yes there is one in Phoenix ..... but you have to be 18 years or older to get in after a certain time. I know causr i live in Surprise, AZ

naxil

naxil said:

hello, who knows the hw of that arcade cabinet? is wiiU based? i can't find any SPEC about new triforce series