Japanese Persona Q Limited Edition 3DS Revealed

Posted by Kerry Brunskill

Velvety smooth

It feels like a long wait for Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, Atlus' fascinating mix of Persona fan-favourites with the dungeon crawling of the Etrian Odyssey series, but as that 5th June Japanese release date draws nearer — it's a Fall arrival in North America — more details continue to be unveiled.

Today's treat is a first look at the limited edition 3DS XL coming to Japan, dubbed the "Velvet Model" which gives us a lovely enigmatic (and vertically-aligned) front with some more overtly Persona-like character images on the bottom. This set will retail at ¥25380 (excluding tax), which is approximately £150 or $250USD, and will include a download copy of the game.

What do you think of the design? Would you buy it if they released it in North America / Europe, or are you that enamoured you're going to buy the Japanese version anyway? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via inside-games.jp]

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Let's face it, In a better world Nintendo would have released a 3DS with swappable covers.

linkzero65

linkzero65 said:

hey ill translate! it says : "Grimoire of the heart" "personality changes the world"

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Not a fan of that diamond pattern, but I do love the colour and the art on it.

RennanNT

RennanNT said:

@WiiULoveGBA They should do it on next handheld. Its probably better for them too. Few will buy a new handheld and not sell the old and others will wait until till they favorite game being released to buy.

OTOH, every big game could have an limited edition with the cover, stimulating paying full price and buying the handheld at the game launch. And lets not forget the games will be advertised for free at the same time..

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

That is beautiful! As always, I really want it, but if I have not switched 3DS XLs for another by now, I doubt I ever will (Unless my 3DS XL becomes badly damaged or defective) lol

Squid

Squid said:

Aww man, that's so cool... I never liked how the XL looked but this is easily one exception.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Must have but I am someone who couldn't justify buying a second 3ds. Rather put that money to another console for parts for my PC.

Thats-what-shy

Thats-what-shy said:

Swap the back with the front and you've got yourselves a sale, Nintendo... if I lived in Japan... and knew what Persona Q was.

Melkac

Melkac said:

@Frapp It's a reference. You missed it.

Oh my, I REALLY like this design!
Nintendo and Atlus have (had?) a great relationship...maybe they'll release this edition around here?

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

If Atlus brings this to the US, I'll finally upgrade to a 3DS XL. I still wouldn't mind that SMT IV one, either, not that that will happen ...

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

@JellySplat You need... no.. You MUST go hunt down and play Persona 3/4... Then when Persona Q hits you will have a lot to be excited for.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Ah Nintendo, you almost made it a whole week without announcing a new limited edition 3DS!

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

@JellySplat Do yourself a favor and play Persona 3/4. Seriously, those two games are my favorite two RPG's of all time. If you don't have a Vita you might not be able to play Persona 4, unless you have a ps2 but you can still watch the 25 episode anime. Even if you don't like anime it's still a great watch. If you have a Ps3 you can download Persona 3 off the PSN store. Trust me, you'll enjoy those games.

I won't lie. I was skeptical about this game mainly because I don't like the Chibi art style, and the fact that it's not on a Sony platform (I'm used to Persona being Sony) but the Persona Fan side of me just jumped kicked the Skeptical/stubborn side of me. I can't wait for this game. Day 1 for me.

Jampie

Jampie said:

If this limited edition 3DS, or the curtain call one, or the white MH4 3DS somehow makes it to the US, I don't care how many 3DS'es I own...I'll get them. +__+

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

@Excep7ional I am a fan of good JRPG's... I'm playing Bravely Default right now, but I'll see if I can get my hands on a copy of the game. You said You can play them on the PS3, correct? In which case, I'll download them most likely.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

@B3ND3R They're part of the "Shin megami Tensei" series right? I'll have to play them eventually, so that I can play the Fire emblem/Shin megami crossover. (Big FE fan here!)

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

@JellySplat Yeah, I'm not sure how much Persona 3 costs now but when I bought P3P (Persona 3 Portable) it was $20, same for the ps2 version. The price may have went down though. If you like JRPG's, I'm confident you'll love Persona. Both Persona 3 and 4 are very long games so they will keep you occupied for some time.

darthllama

darthllama said:

I have a Zelda 3DS XL model, but as a diehard Atlus/Person/Shin fan I'd totally get this.

Uberchu

Uberchu said:

Remove the markings and make the checkered pattern gold or yellow or orange and I'm game.

Snobunni426

Snobunni426 said:

I am praying to the Atlus and Nintendo gods to please release this edition of the 3DS XL to NA! I want to get a new XL because the one I have now is white on the inside and I'm paranoid about getting it dirty lol.