Hori is Bringing Some Awesome Mario Kart 8 GamePad Skins and Mario & Luigi Wheels to Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

We'll take them in the West, thanks

The release of Mario Kart 8 has already served up some promising pre-order choices in Europe and — to a lesser extent — in Japan. Now Hori is stepping in with some accessories in Nintendo's homeland, and we want them all.

As you can see in the images below, Mario and Luigi are both honoured with attractive GamePad skins and themed Wii Wheels. The former look like a great way to add some character to the sizeable Wii U controller, while we want the wheels just because they look good; analogue controls are number one, after all.

Check them out and express your hopes and dreams for equivalents in the West in the comments.

[via amazon.co.jp]

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

Want those Wii wheels. Then I'll have Standard, Knock-off, Golden Club Nintendo, Mario and Luigi wheels. Yet, I'd still just use the gamepad

Blast

Blast said:

PLEASE COME TO NORTH AMERICA!!! PLEASE COME WITH EACH COPY OF MARIO KART 8!!!!!!!!!

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

The Pad cases look nice, but my Zelda Gamepad will not be covered by those. And playing with the wheel (or WiiMote in general) is a great pain for me, so nope.

@FishieFish Those are more like protection cases. You put your Gamepad in and close it, that's all.

PAppleyard

PAppleyard said:

I have a Hori gamepad screen protector and it's the best screen protector I have ever used. By quite a long way. I also have a gamepad skin and it's officially licenced but it sags a bit in places. I want this in the west so I can replace my current skin.

King47

King47 said:

I hope we get some of those in NA and some for other games.
I just hope they aren't fingerprint and dust magnets, like the black gamepad. They should also make some of the pro controller.

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

that is pretty cool. BRING THEM TO UK NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

@King47 I've got a gamepad skin to cure my fingerprint OCD on the black gamepad and it totally does the trick. I don't recall the brand, but it was licensed I got it at Wal-Mart last year. They are matte finish and came in black, red, blue and pink. I went with black and I'll never go back.

Also those Wii wheels would look pretty boss with the Mario and Luigi remotes... :)

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@FishieFish

They appear to be just like the sleeves sold here, they're rubbery and slip over the gamepad providing a nice, tight and snug fit. Also prevents you from having to wipe off fingerprints all the time (that's why I use one). Gotta make sure to buy a good one though- one that doesn't cover up the ports on the bottom. There are a few cheap ones that didn't have an opening, so you'd have to remove it any time you want to set the gamepad on a charging cradle. These look ok in that respect though...

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I have been looking for a gamepad skin that would work for me, I want that red/blue Mario one so bad.

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

As pointless as it is I'll have to grab that Luigi wheel should they send it my way.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

"Lesser extent" my eye. I'll take a set of Mario playing cards over a spiny blue shell statue that I don't have shelf space for, any day.

PAppleyard

PAppleyard said:

@JaxonH yep, I bought an unlicensed one first without thinking that it's doesn't let you use the cradle. I will only use licensed Nintendo gear now.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

I really like the Wii Wheels much better than the Nintendo one that comes bundled. As for the skins, those would be cool to have if it wasn't for my Wind Waker Edition Gamepad ;-)

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Meanwhile in Europe (or at least the UK) our official licensed wheels are the most generic pieces of crap you could come up with (they're free with GAME pre-orders say all you need to know). The Super Mario Kart Racing Wheel. Best thing is we don't even know what the back looks like yet.

N_than

N_than said:

@JaxonH The way it reflects the light in those promo shots make it look like a hard plastic, plus there's that hinge at the top.