Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Thirty One

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Cuccos! Ore Club! Uncle Andross! More!

It's that time again, dear readers, for another Super Smash Bros. summary from last week; once again we have a nice mix of Wii U and 3DS screens to enjoy.

As per normal Masahiro Sakurai has released plenty of screenshots on the Miiverse Super Smash Bros. Director's Room, using the depth of the titles and admittedly quirky aspects to keep us entertained on a daily basis. In the past week he brought some neat shots of weapons, assists, and a closer look at the visuals on 3DS. A standout was certainly a tour of the 3DS-only Pokémon X & Y stage; click on that link or the date heading for the final entry below to see all three screens of that stage's gradual progression to the top of Prism Tower.

With our intro out of the way let's get to last week's screens from Sakurai-san; as always you can click on the date heading to visit the Miiverse posts in question and give them a Yeah.

24th March

25th March

26th March

27th March

28th March

We reckon it's a pretty nice selection this week, but let us know what you think in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (297 votes)

Link's a bit worried by that Cucco

39%

Mario and Link pose with and without outlines

15%

Sonic turns the tables on Pit with an almighty Ore Club

21%

Uncle Andross brings the hurt to Mario and Pit

12%

Pikachu and Olimar gear up for Prism Tower

Um, I can't decide

To be honest, I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Yosher

Yosher said:

Prism Tower! Too bad the gym battles in the game itself were kind of underwhelming.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

As much as I love that Pic of Sonic with the Ore Club, I have to choose the Cucco.. because Cuccos.

Pod

Pod said:

I'm guessing they're saving a couple character announcements for E3.

Superiorspider

Superiorspider said:

I just wished that Sakurai would actually use Starfox 64 Andross and not polygon Andross from the SNES.

LunarHalo24

LunarHalo24 said:

Prism Tower right now is my favorite stage shown off for the 3DS. It's looking pretty neat.

Goginho

Goginho said:

Vote Cuccos, or else... :P I mean, just look at that leer!

Good collection of screens this time 'round. The first two pics do it for me, as well as Andross in the Galaxy stage too.
Funny how there's a major difference between having outlines on and off. With outlines, it's much clearer however, and it's the way I personally have preferred it from the beginning when I saw the 3DS version in action last year. Especially seeing how the intricate details of Link seem washed out beneath the pixels and almost melted into the backgroung without outlines, not so much for Mario, but Mario is a more proportionally "chunky" character with distinct features and simpler details. Still though, outlines for the win ..gives the version that unique appeal, I find.

Ricube

Ricube said:

I do really like the graphics of the 3DS version and the outlines look cool to me!

allav866

allav866 said:

This month seems to have been all about items and 3DS stages, which is fine by me, but Miiverse is flooding with speculation that Yoshi won't be in the game because Sakurai didn't announce him when Yoshi's New Island launched. I hope he'll announce a character soon.

Miss_Pixelheart

Miss_Pixelheart said:

Why didn't they choose the Magnus club instead of the Ore club. Magnus sword is a much bigger icon for Kid icarus Uprising... Maybe they're still planning to make Magnus a Playable character?

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Glad Nintendo hasn't forgotten the original Star Fox with Andross! This is looking really good all around.

Weedy

Weedy said:

Cucco's make for a great item, I guess they'll act like a moving mine i.e. don't wana risk an attack when you're near one or you could be blasted!

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

Andross is always cool in my book, but I can't believe how much better the characters look with the black outlines on 3DS. If this keeps up I'll definitely have to get 3DS version first, and that wont make my wife happy because she will want to play too. XD Unless of course it has 4 player single card download play with more than just a few stages and characters at the ready.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Has to be Andross as this will be the only way will get to see some form of star fox on the wii u sadly....

BSFsontails1012

BSFsontails1012 said:

The Sonic smashing Pit with an Ore club from Kid Icarus gets my vote! One, Sonic is awesome, and Two, I think it's funny Pit got hit with his own weapon:)

BSFsontails1012

BSFsontails1012 said:

I want another Sonic character to be playable, like Tails, but if another one was added, it would most likely be Shadow because he's the only other Sonic character that actually got a hint of Brawl(in the battle to fight a brief period instead of behind the stage like Tails, Knuckles, and Silver) and Twinrova would be awesome in the Gerudo Valley stage as a stage hazard since the twins are in that stage. Also, Zant would probably make a good stage hazard for a Legend of Zelda stage or as a assist trophy.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Oh, wow! You can turn off those stupid outlines? They look so much better. I might just get it on 3DS, if only because of that.

StaticWind

StaticWind said:

Voted for Sonic wielding the Ore Club. The Ore Club is one of my favorite items in Kid Icarus: Uprising. It looks nice here, too! I also have to admit that Sonic looks pretty darn cool using it. :D

somari

somari said:

@BSFsontails1012 The problem is that there 3rd party games and are not the main character. The reason Sonic and Mega Man or in the game because they are popular and great characters for ssb4. Nintendo would rather pick an other Character of there own than an third party who is not the main character. The only way Tails will be in ssb4 is if sega become a 2nd part like rare to microsoft which is not going to happy as sega are doing very well as you think about. (i heard rumors a while ago that shadow will be playsation verson of the game on ps4, but that was a while sense i heard it last)