Extended Nintendo Network Maintenance May Disrupt Late Night 3DS Online Play

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Sorry, night owls

If you're the kind of 3DS owner that likes to relax late at night with a few chaotic races of Mario Kart 7 or some team-based ghost hunts in Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon then, be warned, your routine may be disrupted today / tomorrow.

Those in North America will see some disruption to online play on the 3DS late tonight, while in Europe the impact will be on those up very early, with extended maintenance on the way. Details with the European and North American times are below.

From (approx.) Monday, 24 March 2014 10pm Pacific / 1am Eastern (25/03) / 5am UK (25/03) / 6am CET (25/03)
to Tuesday, 25 March 1am Pacific / 4am Eastern / 8am UK / 9am CET.
Affected services:
Nintendo 3DS

• Online Play, Rankings etc.

It's not earth-shattering maintenance and we imagine won't affect most. Based on previous extended maintenance sessions that have made little perceived difference, we suspect this may be a little bit of extra behind-the-scenes work to improve stability and performance. So, you'll have to play something else online late tonight / early tomorrow.

[via nintendo.com, nintendo.co.jp]

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

@GamecubeComplex - I think the next direct will be after April 1st. No reason to show off anything until the fiscal year changes.

Maintenance I think is a good thing at this point assuming it helps stabilize and strengthen Nintendo's online infrastructure.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Seems everyone is starved for a Direct again. Though admittedly I'm itching for one myself only because there hasn't any Smash character updates for this month.

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

@WingedSnagret Well the last ones were pointless, I want to know if the online is going to work in Kart and Smash. I want something cool. Even if it's just Sakurai beating the s.it out of others in Smash. Just to see gameplay. Something.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

I think I recall only 2 or 3 directs that happened around extended maintenance, so I'm not sure why anyone expects a direct after every one

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I still don't understand why Nintendo cannot just run with lower capacity instead of doing this all the time. I don't think the competition does planned maintenance.

redivgamer90

redivgamer90 said:

Last night I tried to redeem an eshop prepaid card. Maybe that was the problem? If that was the issue I will feel embarrass since I called Nintendo support this morning. The issue according to the error code 011-6561 says that there eshop wasn't responding or was on maintenance. I hope that was the problem... although I might feel dumb for calling Nintendo...

ACK

ACK said:

The Wii U and Wii shops have been down "undergoing maintenance" all day for me.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

So much for late night maintenance, I just tried to get on the eshop and it says it's down for maintenance.

Shadowkid32177

Shadowkid32177 said:

Jeez, been trying to get data transfer to a new system and can't do that :(
Been getting the error code: 014-0017 when I try to do the system transfer so I hope this maintenance gets done soon.