Weirdness: Super Mario Bros. Record For Lowest Score is Beaten

Posted by Samantha Sofka

A 500 point play-through done without tool assistance

Normally while playing a game, the goal for most people is to see how many points they can rack up; more often than not they aim for the most points possible. There are, however, a select few who flip that idea on its head and shoot for the lowest score possible.

Going out of their way to avoid coins and killing enemies, YouTube user NotEntirelySure has cleared Super Mario Bros. with the lowest score possible of 500 points. Although this score was previously obtained by HappyLee back in 2010, NotEntirelySure's playthrough was allegedly done without tool assistance. Although they did die once, it is still an incredible feat; some of the skills on show are truly impressive.

Check out the video below and let us know what you think!

[via kotaku.com]

ogo79

ogo79 said:

im sure lz can beat this, hes quite good at getting low scores on games
:D

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

PETA will be happy in knowing no turtles were killed in the rescuing of Princess Toadstool this time around....

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

it so cool that even after 20+ years there are so many gamers totally obsessed with this game

mystman12

mystman12 said:

Impressive, but... After seeing what 8-3 and 8-4 are like, now I know I'll never beat this game.

idork99

idork99 said:

I was thinking to myself how it would be possible to score that low and noticed that there was a video :p...

The thing that impresses me is the timing at the end of level. Impressive!

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

To quote someone in the comments of that video...

No Goombas, Koopa Troopas, Buzzy Beetles, Koopa ParaTroopas, Piranha Plants, Hammer Brothers, Lakitus, Spinys, Cheep-Cheeps, Bloopers or Bullet Bills were harmed during the filming of this video.
Literally. :)

therick112

therick112 said:

I am in awe. There were definitely some glitches there, not sure if they are original glitches exploited or...

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Gotta love low% runs, be it Metroid or not!
This kind of feat is especially impressive, since you must resist 3 urges this came constantly raises:

• no Goomba stomping (or any other enemy, for that matter)
  • no coin collecting (which is really hard since some are placed straight in the way)
  • no flagpole jumping (especially not until the timer hits zero!)

Resisting these temptations only makes the game harder, and a bit more complicated. I salute all low% runners!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Interesting. I had no idea there were two ways of getting the warp zone in 4-2

speedyboris

speedyboris said:

Love the moment at 4:05 when Mario does a bunch of victory jumps for that impossible jump.

3wdiisu

3wdiisu said:

@ogo79
-_- its impossible to beat it
only tie
there's nothing else you could do to get a lower score except with hacks

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

Hey, I'm friends with this guy. In fact, the first post I ever made on this site was a link to his 600 point Super Mario Bros. run. The dude's nickname isn't "Robot" for nothing.

nprtmn4evr

nprtmn4evr said:

Couldn't you shave 200 points off the score by making it to world 8, losing all your lives and then doing the world continue trick? Seems to me the lowest possible score would be 300 points

biglee

biglee said:

This is very cool, but that jump at 4:00 is a total glitch. He missed the jump and was still able to hop out of the pit. How does that happen? Also, I totally forgot how quickly you can beat this game using the warps.

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

I think he has way more impressive videos on his youtube page, by the way. Ninja Gaiden and Mega Man runs that make my jaw drop.

@Arlock41!! O:

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

You know, this just reminds me that I need to document my speed running attempts... I've gotten 23 minutes and 42 seconds on Sin and Punishment without glitches (skip cutscenes of course) and I can blaze through strider and strider 2 under 25... Separate times, not together..

brewsky

brewsky said:

@nprtmn4evr I guess that depends on your definition of "playthrough". It is viable to do that and beat the game with only 300 points, but some people would argue that a particular run like that would require two playthroughs instead of one, the first resulting in a game over and the second resulting in beating the game.

brewsky

brewsky said:

@biglee Actually, it happens more often than you think it does, especially in the original. Maybe it was Nintendo's version of grabbing onto the ledge, albeit a very infrequent one.

May_Nyan

May_Nyan said:

Super Pacifist Bros.
Now can they do Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japanese version) like this?

2Sang

2Sang said:

This is seriously impressive. I don't think I could go through the first level without accidently getting a coin.