Video: Yacht Club Games' Sean Velasco Digs Up the NES Roots of Shovel Knight

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"It's a pumped up 8-bit aesthetic"

Shovel Knight has had a longer-than-expected route to our Nintendo systems, but it's creeping ever closer to both the 3DS and Wii U eShop stores. It grabbed attention in its crowdfunding days due to the fact it was a product of Yacht Club Games — a group of former WayForward developers making their début as a new team — while catching the eye with its presentation. For retro gamers and fans of the "bit" days, it had the look of a loving homage.

Footage so far, as well as the opinions of those that have previewed the title at expos and events, certainly give legs to those positive initial impressions. The video below from Nintendo UK continues that, with the studio's Sean Velasco giving a run-down of the game with some attractive footage also on show. We suspect his references to simpler times, focusing on a core concept and pumping up NES-style visuals will push plenty of buttons.

Check it out below and let us know what you think.

Related Games

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I'm getting this on Wii U unless lots of more exciting stuff comes out around the same time.

Ducutzu

Ducutzu said:

Judging after the huge amount of fun that I'm having with Unepic at the moment, this is another mandatory purchase for me.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Don't quite know why i want this but it does look really good! 2d platform games are usually not my thing specially old school style ones. This one grabbed me from the beginning.

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

@Ducutzu yeah, I'm with you buddy, I'm loving Unepic. And Shovel Knight is a no-brainer on Wii U. Heck if it lives up to expectations, I may even get the 3DS version as well.

Mommar

Mommar said:

While I'd personally prefer a pumped-up 16-bit style more (the limited 8-bit color palette can be a bit samey and harsh on occasion) these people absolutely know what they're talking about/doing. Just his basic description of their goal for the game shows how clear a vision and how good the leadership of the project was. I can't wait to buy this for WiiU and 3DS.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I would prefer it to look like a Neo Geo or Saturn game. (Don't mind it though it has none of the issues that annoy me with the NES other than on say Castlevania III).

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

i wasnt that exited about this game but after that video i'm really liking the way it looks. i just might get it for 3ds. depends on the price i guess. anybody know how much this will be?

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I think these must be the dev's that made Wayforward really good for a while. (Now they are the same as any other shovelware developer).

Contra 4 / Double Dragon Neon / The first Adventure Time.

Recently it has been complete junk.

RetroRider

RetroRider said:

I have seen this interview before. Nothing I didn't already know but this game never ceases to amaze me ouo

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Can't wait. :) It's a good feeling to have helped kickstart it even though it surely didn't need me. I DO need it, however. :P

It's fun to get excited about a game that looks like that again. It's a smart design choice, too. That weird feeling some are getting: Nostalgia for a brand new game. Right?

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Hell yeah! Most anticipated game of 2014! :D
Can't wait to see what Yacht club digs up next. ;)

Hordak

Hordak said:

Just out of curiosity, growing up in the 8-bit era, advertising tried to imply more bits equalled a better console. If bit numbering had followed the trend could anyone fill in the "bits" for GameCube, Wii, and Wii U on this list? I doubt it's as simple as doubling the previous number.
NES = 8-bit
SNES = 16-bit
N64 = 64-bit
GameCube = ?-bit
Wii = ?-bit
Wii U = ?-bit

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Hordak It has always been a marketing thing. The N64 runs in 32 bit mode on every released bit of software. The Neo Geo is 16 bit but they called it 24 bit (Even though they used the same processors as the Megadrive). No benefit to 64 bit on PPC with less than 4GB ram so I would say the rest are 32 bit. (No extra registers or other benefits to it).

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

This is one game I am looking forward to....reminds me of the good ol' 8-bit platform games I used to play over and over.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

It disturbs me how a great looking RetroRevival like Shovel Knight can generate such few comments on a site that was once called VC-Reviews, while Sonic Boom(most likely another mediocre sonic platformer out of the stinky lot) reaches over 9000!!!!!

Untitled

@Spoony_Tech
"2d platform games are usually not my thing specially old school style ones"

You're dead to me, spoony. :P You need a healthy dose of 2D Mega man goodness statty', in large quantaties or what i like to say Dude-doses. :P

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Super excited to DIG into this one! Seriously, I've had this on my radar for a LONG time.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Still undecided should I go for Wii U or 3DS on this one, both version seem awesome.

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

Mad props on creating a game that both evokes feelings of something new and not yet ventured while filling me with such warm nostalgia from the dept of my soul. Excited for this title now.