Video: Nintendo Minute Digs For Details on Shovel Knight With Sean Velasco

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Finding that retro balance

As the weeks pass we're certainly getting closer to some enticing eShop releases, one of which is Shovel Knight on the Wii U and 3DS eShop. Having succeeded in the crowdfunding arena Yacht Club Games is approaching its début, with 31st March the confirmed target release date.

There's been plenty of positivity around the action platformer, with the increasing footage raising the level of anticipation for a number of gamers; Nintendo exclusive features utilising StreetPass on 3DS and Miiverse on Wii U are also highly encouraging.

In the final part of its indie developer video series, Nintendo Minute has now released the full interview that was briefly seen in the most recent North American Nintendo Direct broadcast. Sean Velasco chats about the design philosophy behind the game and outlines the Wii U usage of Miiverse, among other things.

Check it out and let us know if you're planning to pick up Shovel Knight on either the Wii U or 3DS.

Related Games

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

What he said.
Easily one of the most impressive forthcoming games: it just screams playability. I'll be going for the 3DS version for portability, StreetPass and 3D awesomeness. Probably double-dip on the Wii U later. Can't wait.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

Is it weird that this is my most anticipated game for the Wii U this Spring? If its good I'll probably double dip and get it for my 3DS too.

Vriess

Vriess said:

We're finally getting close to the release. This game is gonna be awesome! :)

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

These Indie eShop Minutes won't feel complete until they get Manfred of Shin'en on there as well

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

@SometimeAboutAI No what I'm wondering is if this is a console exclusive (never coming out on xbox or playstation). Or if they agreed to a timed exclusivity period. Or if there was no agreement at all.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

If there is no issues with the framerate or anything on the 3DS version I will get that otherwise I will probably get it on Steam.

I hope it doesn't have checkpoints every 10 seconds.

Mask0Gears

Mask0Gears said:

Planning on getting this. Also, sign my petition to add the Shovel as a weapon to Monster Hunter 5.

:P

Mask0Gears

Mask0Gears said:

:P

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

As someone whose favorite genre is and always will be the platformer, this has been on my radar since its announcement.

The BEST genre.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Buying on Wii U. My Wii U is my one-stop-shop for VC and indie games. Not only can you play them on TV, but you can play them on the smaller, portable screen on the gamepad. TV and handheld experience from one purchase. Love it.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

I could listen to this developer yap all day! :P
I'm reallllly looking forward to this, more so than any other announced title on the Wii U this year other than maybe Smash Bros. U. This game is destined to be a hit. Can't wait to 'dig' my way into this gnarly 8-bit long lost NES medieval adventure. When you side this with Teasurenots, Treasurenots looks flat out b-grade in comparison.

Getting both the Wii U and 3DS versions as well. tee hee.

Vhyper1985

Vhyper1985 said:

Backed this on Kickstarter what seems like ages ago! Been following it ever since, very strange watching their live streams from starting out doing pixel art & animations of Plague Knight in someone's apartment while playing through all the classic Mega Man titles to them getting their own studio has been great to watch.... & I still don't know what they are going to do with our faces! (some backers could send a pic off to them to have our faces in the game somewhere!) needless to say I'm extremely looking forward to getting my hands on the finished product on the WiiU!! :D

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@WaveBoy I think he must be part of the reason Wayforward is not worth bothering with now. (Contra 4 / Double Dragon Neon / Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?! / A Boy and his Blob). Important thing is they all play completely right.

Everything after that has been not worth bothering with including Ducktales Remastered which is not like the other remakes / reboots.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@unrandomsam
How could WF screw up Ducktales Remastered? Just Cut and paste the existing formula and revamp the visuals.....No wait, they gimped the pogo stick mechanic(They fixed this in a patch) and plunked in a game halting unnecessary in-game dialogue riddled cut scenes just like Power of Illusion on the 3DS which was extremely irritating. I'm all for the idea of exapanding the formula, doing something new and shaking things up but not when it comes to this. i just want to PLAY the bloody game.lol

I haven't personally played it yet, but it just doesn't look as fun as the original nor does it have the same charm. :P The original was fresh during the time and had it's own distinct play style, PLUS Ducktales was all the rage back then. Remakes are just remakes, exciting but never as exciting as the original.

Ultimately, you're better off playing the patched version or just getting the retail release, which is also the patched version.