Video: Nintendo Minute Catches Up With Two eShop Developers

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Vblank Entertainment and Nicalis discuss upcoming releases

Nintendo of America's recent Nintendo Direct broadcast included some Indie-download chat, likely taken from a multi-game event held earlier this month. For its part the Nintendo YouTube Channel's 'Nintendo Minute' spoke to more publishers and developers about games on the way to the eShop platforms, further proof that our funds are going to come under strain.

Vblank Entertainment

First up is Vblank Entertainment's Brian Provinciano talking about Retro Rampage DX, which arrived on 6th February in North America and is due in this week's update (20th February) in Europe. This title previously arrived on WiiWare and a host of other platforms, and Provinciano outlines some of what makes this 'DX' version different, while also revealing an interesting favourite from the NES era.

Nicalis

Next up is Tyrone Rodriguez, who heads up the prolific download publisher Nicalis. He discusses the upcoming 1001 Spikes — formerly known as Aban Hawkins & the 1,001 Spikes — which is on the way to both the Wii U and 3DS eShop stores. It promises to be a punishing platformer, but Rodriguez goes into detail on multiplayer modes, a large cast of playable characters with differing abilities, and how the 3DS version will live up to the performance of its HD compatriot.

Have you picked up Retro City Rampage DX or do you plan to? Is 1001 Spikes and its crippling difficulty right up your street? Let us know in the comments below.

Related Games

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Where's mah Cave Story on 3DS Nicalis?
I'm not talking about that awkward 3D version but the original. Heck, I would buy it twice. Make it Cave Story+ and you can have all my babies.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I am going to be getting Retro City Rampage. Nicalis is always at least double the price it should be. (Not interested in paying more than the RRP for something I already have - Super Hexagon would have been an exception).

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@AyeHaley From what I gather, the eShop version is basically Cave Story+ without the updated soundtrack. All the extra modes are present though

SubZer023

SubZer023 said:

Nintendo Dont forget about VD dev Iron fall thats probably gonna be one of the most sold games on eshop

Poketendo

Poketendo said:

Nicalis is definetly one of my favourite developers . Even though I didn't really like Cave Story, VVVVVV was simply awesome! I almost broke my 3DS out of frustration in the last level, but I love it! I haven't tried NightSky yet, but maybe I will in the future. It certainly looks interesting. And this 1001 spikes looks simply amazing! Can't wait to play it!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@BlatantlyHeroic I was raised to not lie (To myself or to anybody else for any reason). Not lying overrides anything else (Including other peoples feelings). That is the only bit I can think of that has much bearing on how I am. I won't develop my character if that means just taking the general consensus on everything (Anything I would say online I would say in say a bar to anybody. Or at work if there was a good reason for it). No idea whether the questions will end.

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

I love the support Indies are giving to Wii U and 3DS. Neither system is getting good third party support, and the former is only getting marginal support from first party studios. These Indie games are welcome additions to the Nintendo ecosystem.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

So that's what that blonde kid from the original Legend of Zelda NES commercial has been up to these days. Who would of thought the Retro rapping nerd would of formed his own video game company at V-Blank. ;)

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Retro City Rampage DX is a joy. Easily my favorite version of this title (I have it on PS3 and Wii as well).
I'm VERY hopeful an update is made to allow other platforms the 'zoom' mode present in the 3DS release. It makes it so much easier to get some of the visual gags.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

RCR for Wii U please, it deserves front row on my Wii U, not relegated to the Wii Channel!

Ditto for Cave Story!