These Super Smash Bros. Home-Run Bat Screens May Brighten Your Day

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Out of the park

Masahiro Sakurai doesn't often reveal new challengers or arenas in his daily posts on the Miiverse Director's Room for the new Super Smash Bros. entries on Wii U and 3DS, but he does often show-off individual moves, mechanics and items. Today may not send shock waves around the world, but could be a fan-favourite.

As you can see below, the Home-Run Bat is back in the new games, with DK feeling the brunt.

For his part, Sakurai-san simply says that it's a bit powerful.

Pic of the day. The Home-run Bat in this game is black! And it's so powerful that your eyes might bug out!!

If that's not enough, the follow up image shows a home run exiting the arena.

We just think these are two fantastic images, and show the kind of fun that the Smash Bros. series offers. Let us know what you think of them, and the return of the Home-Run Bat, in the comments below.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

Related Games

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

I absolutely love the facial animations they've added to the characters. Looks fantastic & gives the game loads of personality.

Sparx

Sparx said:

My eyes would bug out too if I was hit in the same spot with a bat...

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Does anyone else see where DK got hit with that bat? D:
I love the new design and animations too, I hope the gameplay is there to match.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I like the new design; the bat doesn't hide it's power anymore and shows it for what it is, a deadly, KO-inducing weapon. I also love DK's face; it's priceless! I hope the other characters look that funny too when they get hit.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Ahhhhhhh the bat, who could ever forget the bat. I wondered during Smash 64 days why Ness' bat couldn't do the same thing (We thought different things back thing). Gotta love that new design. Now once I grab the bat.........
Untitled
IT'LL BE A HOOOOOOOOOOOOME RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rjejr

rjejr said:

I'ld just like to take this opportunity to once again thank Masahiro Sakurai for putting these up on a daily basis. It's pretty much the only information Nintendo releases for any of it's Wii U games.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Somebody call PETA, they are harming a monkey here!

I hope they kept the sound effect when the bat connects.

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

If the Home Run Bat is from Earthbound, then why does it have an original design? Is Earthbound doomed to not be in SSB4?

Weedy

Weedy said:

Looking forward to a good old 'homerun match' with only the Bat item turned on!!!

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

This a clear sign that Sakurai really wants to give players that "good feeling" when playing the game like he wrote in the Famitsu article, a good feeling of satisfaction after landing a devastating blow like this.

Squid

Squid said:

I like the new design of the bat, but it was always humorous that an ordinary looking bat had so much power.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

That Bat was always my favorite toy to pick up in Smash Bros. I'd always try to get one, even if it meant beating someone into submission just to get ahold of it.

brewsky

brewsky said:

@MrMario02 Ness is a perfect attendance character; he's definitely going to be in it. They probably changed the design to differentiate his side-B attack, which was a bat that looked very similar to the Home Run Bat of previous games.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@ntabruzzo Small correction but side B is PK Fire for Ness. It's his side A smash that's his bat.

Chances are he'll show up again, especially since they brought Earthbound over to North America on the VC and made a big deal of it.

I think I'll keep items on all the time just so I can get priceless photo shots like this. I'm sure the camera's going to be back and usable with Miiverse.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

That new bat looks awesome! I wonder if there'll be different designs for different characters or different bats that can be unlocked?

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

It's a bit powerful? The Home Run Bat has always been a 1 hit KO since conception. I don't understand the joke Sakurai thinks he's making but the new design is nice.

Wolf_Link

Wolf_Link said:

It's cool but I'm not gonna use it more than a couple of times. I never play with items

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

DK's face is freaking funny and i will miss the original design for the home run bat and i hope its fast or in normal speed cause in melee the bat charged fast but in brawl it was so slow anyone can dodge it i hope they balance it this time.

DanMan82

DanMan82 said:

Glad to see this item return!

Peanut butter jelly! Peanut butter jelly! Peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat!

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

so long as i can throw it for a really powerful ranged attack i dont mind how it looks or charges

mytvhub

mytvhub said:

I like the way you described it and would like to see more from you. <a href=http://mytvhub.com/> Sony Drama </a>