The Year of Luigi Officially Ends on 18th March

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Let's start a (doomed) petition for the decade of Luigi...

Oh, Luigi. The dream had to end, and Shigeru Miyamoto has brought cold, cruel reality crashing through our screens by confirming that the Year of Luigi will finish on 18th March; we'd hoped the day would never come.

Luigi, for so long the other brother, had a year in which he could shine. He starred in the brilliant Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, stole the show in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, showed Mario how to really jump in his own New Super Luigi U and his brother's Super Mario 3D World; he even picked up his M.D. qualification to lead in Dr. Luigi. Throw in some cameos and retro-fitted NES treats and it was quite a year for the green one.

It all ends on 18th March, however, as Shigeru Miyamoto has stated on Miiverse:

Almost a year has passed since I announced the Year of Luigi, marking the 30th anniversary of Luigi’s debut.
Thanks to everyone's kind support, we were able to release many Luigi games over the course of the year. I hope everyone continues to cheer for the green brother!

However, all good things must come to an end, and the Year of Luigi will conclude on March 18.

From this date on, the Year of Luigi Community and its Developers' Room will sadly no longer accept new posts or comments. (The exact date and time is listed in each community's description.) That means there's one more month to go. I hope everyone continues to share their thoughts on Luigi with people from around the world!

It seems a tad harsh to shut down the man's Miiverse communities, but Nintendo waits for no-one. Miyamoto-san has encouraged gamers to leave comments on his post in memory of the year, so it's a last chance to say goodbye.

What will the next 'Year' be? Year of Yoshi? Year of Kirby? Year of Samus? Year of Ice Climbers? Who knows, but it'll have to go some to upstage the green wonder.

We still love you, Luigi.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net, twitter.com]

Related Games

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Let's start a 'doomed' petition to bring his first solo outing, Luigi's Mansion, to VC! It's a Gamecube title, folks would LOVE to see those finally get emulated.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Year of the Champion... Urban Champion! That is what I would like to see anyway.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

In cowardly day, in spooky night,
no Goomba shall escape his sight,
let those who worship King Boo's fright,
beware his vacuum: Green Luigi's might!

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

If Miyamoto doesn't announce the Year of Yoshi next, I'm going to be so dissapointed haha. Come on, Nintendo! It's time for Yoshi to shine!

T900Kassem

T900Kassem said:

It would be cool to have a Mission in the new Smash where you beat up on Mario as Luigi.

mystman12

mystman12 said:

@Zach I second that!

I don't really understand why so many people want a year of Yoshi. Luigi got a year because he was sort of like the second banana, but Yoshi isn't really like that. I honestly think there shouldn't be another year of something for a while. (Unless it's a year of Waluigi)

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

Thank god the "year of Luigi" was so unnecessary Nintendo might as well had given tingle his own year and gave him a slightly decent game with a bunch of unnecessary DlC for the upcoming Legend Of Zelda how about we dedicate a year to someone we actually care about nintendo?

brewsky

brewsky said:

2015 will be the Year of Yoshi, considering it will be his 25th anniversary.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Hmm, that makes me wonder if there will be a Direct on March 18th to announce what the next "year of" will be.

Artwark

Artwark said:

I never got the chance to say how much I love Luigi to Nintendo......

I still love you Luigi! Besides Mario can't be without you.

As for what Next year will be? probably Metroid or Starfox anyone?(heh, who am I kidding? :P)

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I'm surprised they're not closing it off with a Wii U eShop version of Luigi's Mansion 1.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Let it end in glory, really :) He had his fair share of attention, keeping it artifivially alive would get gimmicky anf meaningless fast.

S20TEW

S20TEW said:

2 finish his year they should announce original luigis mansion with the WW treatment for wiiU it would b on like donkey kong for me lol here's wishing but yeah even on vc for quickness lol who knows still a month but doubt it :(

SuperiorYoshi87

SuperiorYoshi87 said:

Obviously if you couldn't tell I absolutely want a year of Yoshi, which I certainly feel is coming. While 2015 IS his 25th anniversary I feel like the Year of Yoshi would be leading up to his 25th anniversary. Like what Nintycraze2013 said I don't think it's coincidence that Luigis year is ending right around Yoshis New Island release date. I mean he has atleast 2 games coming centered around him and is being featured in an lot of titles coming up so it just seems logical. For all those people who don't want Yoshi to have a year all I can say is quit your whining, Yoshi is just as recognizable as Mario and Luigi, everyone knows who Yoshi is. Hell I have a tatoo of a Yoshi Jolly Roger on my arm and there's not person I meet that dosent go OH YOSHI! Hal of them don't even play games. He deserves a year a lot more than Waluigi............

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Yeah to me this wasn't the year long celebration I imagined kind of disappointing to be honest.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

@SuperiorYoshi87 i agree completely if any other Mario character deserves a year it's definitely Yoshi I would just sell every Nintendo console I own if waluigi gets a year xD

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

The year of Donkey Kong! And we will have Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze to start it off!

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

@Yasume No they said it would continue into 2014, so that it could finish about a year from when it started.

@AlexSora89 Amazing

I would like them to create Miiverse pages for specific characters such as Mario, Luigi, DK, Samus and Kirby or fake Nintendo Network accounts and they could interact with each other by commenting on each others posts.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

It's just kind of funny considering NES Remix 2 has that bonus game, "Super Luigi Bros." on it, and I thought the Direct said NR2 comes out in April.

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

I've noticed something. When the Year of Luigi has begun, Nintendo's troubles with Wii U has started. Bash me all you want, but it's true.

Hopefully, after March 18, Nintendo will make a comeback with Wii U, make some jaw-dropping announcements for the struggling console.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Nintendo - they can't give us a new game date in March, so they give us a "last day of Luigi" date of March 18. Guess they felt the need to use their calendar for something.

Hopefully they'll send him out w/ a bang.

SuperZelda64

SuperZelda64 said:

Diddy Kong's 20th anniversary will be on November! Year of Diddy Kong? He's been placed in 2nd player role Ike Luigi...

rbmoura85

rbmoura85 said:

They probably have one last surprise in store for us...Luigis Mansion HD, i supose

tsm7

tsm7 said:

Everyone is saying year of yoshi but with hyrule warriors and possibly the new zelda by before the end of next march it may be a zelda character. Though it would miss link between worlds.

Yosher

Yosher said:

18th of March huh? Well, Yoshi's game will release on the 14th of March. Coincidence? Give us a Year of Yoshi, Nintendo!

TheActualGold

TheActualGold said:

If I remember correctly, didn't Sega already say that 2014 is the year of Sonic? Or are we pretending that didn't happen?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This won't be the end of Luigi's stardom by any means. In fact, this yearlong celebration made sure that Luigi will never be neglected in the shadow of Mario again.

babyguess

babyguess said:

Bring on the YOY! Year of Yoshi! New 3DS XL Yoshi Limited Edition, two games already announced (Yoshi's New Island and Yoshi Yarn). Here's hoping for more Yoshi's games yet to be announced.

SammytheSaiyan

SammytheSaiyan said:

Nintendo is wrong. They are forgetting Super Luigi Bros. from NES Remix 2 and Mario Golf: World Tour. So technically, it doesn't end until May 2nd. In your face, Nintendo.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

If anything, the next year had better be the year of Wii U.

On another hand, why does the next year have to be the year of anything?

@siconlolz You kidding? Luigi's one of my favorite Nintendo characters!

@Palom Yes, that would be nice!

rayword45

rayword45 said:

I would like a Year of Wario myself. So we'd finally get WarioWare 3DS and a new Wario Land

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@Lance168 Good point, I didn't notice that. Now that I think about it, I find it hilarious how Diddy Kong fans were 100% sure Diddy Kong would be revealed for Smash Bros. not only because it was the day when Tropical Freeze was released in Japan, but also because it's his 20th anniversary!!

But in my opinion, he wasn't very important to me in Brawl, and I am much happier with Little Mac's reveal.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Year of Samus would be great. 3DS and Wii U game before March of 2015? GBA Metroid games coming to Wii U (and hopefully 3DS). This would mean they've had a Metroid game for Wii U being developed in secret, however, which would be insane from a marketing perspective. I'd still enjoy that.

The "year of" thing is a great way to bring focus and attention on a lesser known character, so I vote Samus, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, or Captain Falcon, or some other lesser-knowns... maybe Kirby. I won't complain if there's a year of Link, though. :P

Jese_1

Jese_1 said:

YEAR OF KIRBY!!!!!!!!!!

My Kirby obsession aside, the Year of Luigi has been fun, and Luigi's Mansion 2 is one of the best games I've played on any console. Here's hoping it doesn't take them another decade to make part 3 - the GamePad would make an amazing vacuum cleaner Nintendo!

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I vote for the year of Gumshoe! That guy shouldn't star in his own game but he deserves a break :P
It's probs going to be Yoshi, as I don't think they would give special treatment to someone outside of the extended Mario family.

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

Maybe they can follow it up on 2014 for another year have it be the Year of Third Party Support. You know, where the systems aren't snubbed for one year and equal footing is allowed. Yeah, that'll happen. ;)

dumedum

dumedum said:

Luigi's Mansion 2, Super Luigi U, that Luigi Mario Bros. , Dr. Luigi..., Luigi's RPG... this was an epic year for Luigi no doubt.

dumedum

dumedum said:

I don't think there are any more "years of". The point was to give Luigi the spotlight instead of his brother. Other characters don't have siblings like that.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I don't think we'll get a year for anyone else. The only reason this one worked was because Luigi is a Mario character, and Mario gets about a thousand games a year. They can't possibly develop enough games to make another character work the same way.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@DerpSandwich Yoshi's Island / Yarn Yoshi / Some small downloadable game (Like the Superscope Yoshi one). Warioware / Warioland / Something else small. (Like Wario's Woods).

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

@unrandomsam It's possible, but I still doubt it. Yoshi and Wario aren't in every Mario game, so it would be harder to give them as much exposure. Plus I don't think Yarn Yoshi will be released this year. But that's just my guess.

Will-75

Will-75 said:

The year of Toad and start it off with a Captain Toad title for Wii U with DLC and online leader boards as well player generated levels for good measure , LOL

seronja

seronja said:

YEAR OF SAMUS!! that would be the best thing Nintendo did since Metroid trilogy!

KarateKid1234

KarateKid1234 said:

Boohoo year of this, bohoo year of that. SEGA already claimed the Year of Sonic! Get off your high pipes, plumbers!

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

March 18 2013 is when the year of Luigi started.
March 18 2014 is when the year of Luigi ends.
Meh.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Year of the Yoshi would be amazing though. He's probably the coolest character in the series and the green theme would be a worthy successor to the Year of Luigi. Lets face it, we all love Yoshi the best!

KeatonTS

KeatonTS said:

@Gold Maybe they have plans we done know about and they didnt want to end it yet so they extended it a bit more?

I don't see any other reason why they would push on another month

AuraStryker

AuraStryker said:

I have a feeling it will be Yoshi. On March 18, when the Year of Luigi is over, the Year of Yoshi will be announced, Yoshi's New Island will come out, and then BAM! Yoshi is confirmed for Smash Bros.

Hopefully that will happen, right?

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

Has there been a Year of Peach yet? I want a new Super Princess Peach game and a special edition 3DS to go with it. :P

Pretty sure it'll be Yoshi though.

Mr-DNA

Mr-DNA said:

People who are clamoring for another "Year of ___" have completely missed the point. Luigi was almost always in the background, whether he was relegated to Player 2 in Super Mario Bros or off having (possibly more interesting) adventures in Thousand Year Door. Hell, even when he was brought to the forefront, he was either shown as a coward (Luigi's Mansion), a coward (Superstar Saga), or a coward (partners in Time). If anyone deserved some spotlight time after 30 years, it was Luigi.

Other Nintendo characters don't need their own year; they just need more games.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Yoshi just runs off the edge when solo, can't give a year of to a character like that

SMW

SMW said:

Next year, Waluigi shall be the weiner! Waluigi number one!

Waluigi time!!

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

@sleepinglion I agree I would love to see luigis mansion on the eshop.

or for that matter any gamecube games hell even some n64 games Nintendo let us play your rich catalogue of games do you not like your customers money?

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

I'd like The Year Of Everything Not Mario.
Seriously let the guy take a well earned rest!

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

The day before my son turns five years old! Luigi is his favorite character. Nonetheless, we were given a ton of great titles featuring Luigi. I really don't think they should do a character of the year, but I suppose I'd be okay if they did. It would all depend on the game line up... and recently, it seems like Rosalina is Nintendo's new star! :)

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

no why did this had to happen well i hope this year is year of the metriod that would be awesome.

LightSuitGuy

LightSuitGuy said:

I'm glad its amost over. I've been a Luigi fan for as long as I can remember, and this Year of dedication to him was cool for awhile.

But it just seems like its being forced at this point; Luigi Bros. in 3D World, Dr. Luigi, now Super Luigi Bros. We get it Nintendo, Luigi is a character.

How about Metroid, Star Fox, or F-Zero next? They're series that deserve more attention from the masses.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Good. Aside from Luigi's mansion 2, the year was pretty lame. I'm hoping for something unexpected for next year, but we'll probably have a year of yoshi next.

Dauntless

Dauntless said:

To commemorate Luigi the NA club reward should have been the Luigi's Mansion Figurine instead of the Zelda disc.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well... At least Super Luigi Bros. will be his year going out on a high note (even if it's after the year officially ends).

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Start the year of Link!!!!!

Or Mario.

Some quality first party franchise titles at least please, not spin off character party games like smash as mario kart. Now truer out the way, we need some quality thoroughbred first party franchise Nintendo action

yoshi5852

yoshi5852 said:

Wasn't very good it was better in other countries but not the USA I'm waiting for the year of yoshi 2015 I will get EVERYTHING Yoshi!!!!!!!!! after all I am yoshi5852