The Keep Getting Ready to Explore the 3DS eShop This Summer

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

First person dungeon exploration on the way

Cinemax was extraordinarily prolific on DSiWare, producing 14 games for the platform; the Rytmik series was an obvious stand-out. The Czech publisher is now preparing its first title on the 3DS eShop, and it seems to be an ambitious project.

This new title, due in the Summer, is called The Keep. It'll be a challenging first-person dungeon crawler, which may attract the interest of those that enjoy franchises such as Etrian Odyssey, and will make use of touch controls to suit "newcomers and fans of the genre alike"; it'll also feature real-time combat. For such an active studio — which has also produced many smartphone games and apps — this does seem like a labour of love, taking a comparatively lengthy 15 months to develop with the team "trying to pour all their love for old-school games into the game".

It'll be unveiled fully with gameplay footage and screens in the "very near future". While we wait for that, let us know whether you're intrigued by the concept in the comments below.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Image makes me think of Castlevania, even if it as dungeon crawler. Look forward to more news.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Real time combat???? We shall see how this works out! wish we had a video to look at though. Definitly interested!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Spoony_Tech Yeah, that had me blinking and re-reading the info! As I say in the article, footage etc should come really soon, so it'll be intriguing.

fanguy

fanguy said:

this sounds promises. i just hope it`s not a let down in the end.

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

I'm skeptical about 1st person real time combat; otherwise I'm intrigued.

FireHorsePrime

FireHorsePrime said:

I try not to let my expectations get the best of me anymore where games are concerned. Seems like the hype is never equal to the reality, with a few exceptions (Bravely Default) so I will wait for your review. Let's just hope it's got a lot of content, great visuals and music.

@Kroisos
It's too early to tell, not even a teaser screen shot. My mind is thinking "Skyrim" on the 3DS, but with no open world environments, just dungeons. I could be wrong, and hope I am, as long as whatever they're doing is epic. I have Rytmik Retrobits for DSiWare and love it. Been considering buying the other music apps as they are really a lot of fun and sound good.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'm interested in this concept, but I'll need to see some gameplay before I get excited.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

This sounds very interesting. Just too bad it's not based on the F. Paul Wilson book of the same name which centered around NAZI VAMPIRES. There is a movie version of it but I'd suggest staying away from that as it is really, really awful.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

As soon as I see gameplay of the first-person combat I will be able to judge if this game is for me. I do like the sound of it so far though!

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

This shouldn't be a very long game considering the size of the tower. If that guy doesn't get shrunk that is. ;)
But a good new dungeon crawler on the eShop would be a nice thing.

Windy

Windy said:

So far I'm sold on this. It sounds like a game on DS I enjoyed Called Deep Labrinth which was pretty neat Dungeon crawler with real time encounters. For those who don't know Deep Labyrinth was brought to us by Atlus. Its also a pretty cheap pick up these days for around 7 to 15 dollars. Good gaming! It would be seriously cool if Nintendo would offer DS games in the 3ds eshop for VC.

Windy

Windy said:

@Spoony_Tech Yep I think this will be a mini version of Kings Field since by the implication of the name it just takes place in a keep. Where KingsFeild took place in a living breathing world. Deep Labyrinth on DS tried to be like Kingsfeild but it seemed the limits of the DS kinda forced it too a mini version also. I liked both of those games though. I don't think Deep Labyrinth was well received on DS

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

I would like to see a 3d version of Orcs and Elves in the same vein as the ds version. I've been playing the Etrian Odyssey games since the first released on the ds, love the series, but burtal battles beyond belief. (say that 3 times fast..brutal battles beyond belief, brut...bat...beyo.bel....)