Super Mario 3D World and Animal Crossing: New Leaf Up For BAFTA Awards

Posted by Lewis Childs

No Nintendo titles in the Mobile & Handheld category

Last year’s BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) Game Awards saw a surprising absence of any Nintendo nominations. However, this year the Big N has secured nominations in four categories, which includes Super Mario 3D World being up for Best Game.

Super Mario 3D World is also nominated in the Music, Multiplayer and Family categories, the latter of which sees Animal Crossing: New Leaf up for an award too.

Surprisingly, the Mobile & Handheld category lacks any 3DS titles, instead favouring mobile games such as Plants vs. Zombies 2, BADLAND and the PS Vita’s Tearaway. Considering the strength of the 3DS and its titles in 2013 we’d argue that this category is lacking obvious candidates such as The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Here's the full list of BAFTA nominations below. The ceremony takes place on Wednesday 12th March.

Action & Adventure

Forza Motorsport 5
Papers, Please
Surgeon Simulator 2013
XCOM: Enemy Within

BAFTA Ones to Watch Award in association with Dare to Be Digital
Project Heera: Diamond Heist
Chinchkar Tanmay Subhash, Shastry Neeraj Pramod, Dhongde Shashank Sunil, Dave Dhruv Prakashchandra, Shriram Srinivasan
(Mazhlele)
Size DOES Matter
Mattis Delerud, Silje Dahl, Lars Andersen, Trond Fasteraune, Nick La Rooy
(Team DOS)
The Unknown
Chenying Wan, Qiwei Feng, Luyue Zhang, Zhaoxuan Li, Neil Cullen
(iKnow)

[via awards.bafta.org]

Related Games

GamerOZO

GamerOZO said:

Wow! That's a lot for Super Mario 3D World. But I'm saying it now... The Last Of Us will win, even though it's overrated.

First! :)

GamerOZO

GamerOZO said:

Also, I completely disagree with the handheld choices.

Super Mario 3D World and A Link Between Worlds are my games of the year.

King47

King47 said:

These, the oscars, and many other award shows seem to be more popularity contests for me, not always though.
The handheld category makes believe that more.

brewsky

brewsky said:

I'm not impressed with this list. It makes me want to view this as irrelevant.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

No 3DS games on the handheld category is just impossible. Oh well, go SM3DW! It should win for best music, this game has the best soundtrack I've heared in ages! Damn good jazzy/funky/disco/rock/electronic songs, it has a bit of everything!

SakuraHaruka

SakuraHaruka said:

Super Mario 3D World is a far, a GREAT option, regardless if don't had many sales, or win o don't win a award.

GunstarHero234

GunstarHero234 said:

I call it for "British Game" crappy DmC Make Me Cry is going to win that prize that crap was full on british emo........

BinaryFragger

BinaryFragger said:

Good choices for the "Best Game" category but the nominees for mobile/handheld are puzzling. Plants vs Zombies 2 over Zelda, Tearaway, Dragon's Crown or Fire Emblem?!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

There's a ton of more obscure stuff on there, so definitely not just going for what is popular. Fire Emblem would be in my handheld nominations, but I love all the nominations of Simogo games.

Senario

Senario said:

@King47 Awards always have been popularity contests. That said, it is pretty criminal to not nominate any 3ds games for the handheld category and instead picking mobile games and teraway.

Sandro89

Sandro89 said:

Wait whut? no 3ds games for best handheld... Lets pick some poopoodoodoocacapoopledoople iphone games and tearaway. Please watch the profanity, as well as the insults — TBD

Mooj738

Mooj738 said:

Pretty joke nominations on the best selling consoles over 2013 the 3ds should have some games at the end of the day the releases were amazing over 2013 including all sorts such as luigi's mansion and pokemon plus obviously link and fire emblem. That's a joke simple as

sumofeet

sumofeet said:

Nintendo got snubbed in the handheld category, but I feel mobile and handhelds should have separate categories. Just too many great games for them to be lumped together like that.

Garios

Garios said:

Definitely agree with everyone else here. The lack of any 3DS games in the handheld category is puzzling, especially considering how many fantastic exclusives it got this past year. Also would have been nice to see Dragon's Crown get some recognition for its incredible art.

MeWario

MeWario said:

None in handheld haha what a load of cr@p! Another invalid awards show not worth a dam.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Oh yeah, Ridiculous Fishing is totally a better game than Link Between Worlds, Fire Emblem Awakening and Pokemon XY. Not even a competition really. If Nintendo would just make mobile games this wouldnt be an issue. (angry sarcasm)

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Here we go again with people calling a set of awards a joke because they don't match up to their own preferences.

Device 6 92 Metacritic Score
Ridiculous Fishing 91 Metacritic Score
The Room Two 88 Metacritic Score
Tearaway 87 Metacritic Score
Plants vs Zombies 2 86 Metacritic Score
Badland 85 Metacritic Score

Fire Emblem: Awakening 92 Metacritic Score
Link Between Worlds 91 Metacritic Score
Pokemon XY 88 Metacritic Score
Luigi's Mansion 2 86 Metacritic Score

Looks pretty even to me. Sure, most of us would put at least 2 of the 3DS games in there, but to suggest these nominations make the awards a joke is ridiculous. They're great games. Maybe more of you should try broadening your gaming horizons a little.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

No titles in the handheld category? Then what is Animal Crossing New Leaf doing there?

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Peach64 Metacritic is not useful because of the way it works. If it was more like Rotten Tomatoes it would be of more use. (Harder to game though). The general conclusions like EA was the developer of the year for example and the average being 70% across the board just shows how little integrity as a whole the whole online games reviewing thing works.

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

Why are handheld and mobile combined? There are not on the same level. But cool to see 3d world in here.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

@urandomsam It's not a perfect way to judge things, but nothing is. I find it great as rough guide. So I'd not say those games up there are better than the 3DS ones, everyone likes different games, but just them being in a similar metacritic range should disprove the 'OMG so biased' comments. If a bunch of 60/70 metacritic scoring games were picked over the 3DS games, then I'd get those comments, but not based on these picks.

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

I'll never understand some of the categories that come up in these awards; Audio Achievement, Music, and Performer? Do you really need Audio Achievement when you have the other two? And GTA V for Game Innovation? For having an open world, I presume? It's not like it's the first open world game ever made, or even close to it for that matter.

The lack of 3DS games saddens me. I figured ALBW at the very least would be popular enough to get a nomination, even if it didn't win, but apparently not.

Player4

Player4 said:

Whut the Fudge... No Fire Emblem Awakening? I am dissapoint

Meh, not that I care about award shows

BinaryFragger

BinaryFragger said:

@Peach64

What I find funny is people complain and say that only big budget, well-known games get recognized at awards but when obscure, indie games like "Papers, Please" and "The Stanley Parable" get nominated, they complain that the big, popular games are getting snubbed. People will complain no matter what.

Although I'm disappointed in the lack of 3DS and Vita games in the mobile category, I'm happy to see indie games go head-to-head with the big studios in these awards.

Blast

Blast said:

This entire list is a joke. Some of the nominees shouldn't even be in those categories. But its whatever. I don't care.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@GalacticMario28 This is normally like a British biases Oscars type thing for films. (Not sure when they started doing games. Think I half knew they did Music).

@Peach64 The best games I think get love it or hate it type responses. The way that Metacritic works puts those at around 60-70. Too hard takes stuff out of the 90's most of the time. Just the one simple average it gives a picture to me that is not that helpful. (and the stuff I am interested in information about has usually been pre decided to be niche which basically means no matter how good it is it will get scored lower than something in an established series. Under Defeat HD is a good example it is a perfect example of what it is. The Dreamcast version was selling for over £100 beforehand).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@BinaryFragger For those type games I think Super Hexagon should have been the one. It is like a Tetris type perfect idea. (And there seems to be very few of those these days).

hosokawasamurai

hosokawasamurai said:

Multiplayer
Battlefield 4
DOTA 2
Grand Theft Auto V
The Last of Us
Super Mario 3D World
World of Tanks

Ehhh...What?
Well, at least they had the decency of NOT putting Tomb Raider on this category.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

BAFTA Ones to Watch Award in association with Dare to Be Digital ? What is all that about I have no idea doesn't even look like it is English.

hylianhalcyon

hylianhalcyon said:

I like some of the categories they have, though specifically performer. It's easy to forget that gaming now owes some of its best characters to the actors that bring them to life.

And I'm willing to bet that the people writing the BAFTAs off because of a few Nintendo games not making the nominations haven't even played half of the games that were nominated. I don't know about everyone else, but I feel like I can never properly judge an awards show if I haven't played/seen at least most of the nominees. And even if I have and I don't agree, it's nothing to get worked up over, it's not like a game or movie or anything is discredited for not getting an award.

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

@unrandomsam Um, I think I've heard somewhere that they have a different method, but I am not that informed. But since I've heard bad stuff about Metacritic I thought that maybe a less popular site is more serious.

We need this guy from the Wario Land book to teach us real game criticism. :P

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

I have no respect for yet another awards ceremony, that deliberately and flagrantly ignores Nintendo in the handheld category. It'll be flooded with s*itty smartphone games that do not square up to the likes of A Link Between World's, yet unfairly get all the nominations in that category. There's something seriously wrong in the minds of the people who run these awards.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Well I've never liked the BAFTAs, and this year looks like it won't change my mind a bit.

readypembroke

readypembroke said:

What is should be:

Action and Adventure- Assassin's Creed IV
Artistic Achievement- Beyond: Two Souls (was a VERY great game!!)
Audio Achievement- Battlefield 4
Performer- Ellen Page
Sport- N/A
Story- Grand Theft Auto V
Strategy- N/A

Faron

Faron said:

No Pikmin 3? I enjoyed it just as much as Super Mario 3d World, The Last of Us and GTA V. Bummer...