Retro Studios Talks Up Wii U And Has Been Working On A New Title Since November

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Speculation ahoy!

With Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze now settling into stores around the world, its developer Retro Studios is looking back on the development and hinting at what's to come. As a first-party studio with high-profile experience on GameCube, Wii and now Wii U, it's also in a position to share its perspective on the hardware transition.

Speaking to GameSpot, Retro Studios president and CEO Michael Kelbaugh has admitted that there were "traditional limitations" with the Wii, but focused on the capabilities of the Wii U in glowing terms.

It was really fun being able to crack that open for the first time and learning HD techniques; pixel shading, having a lot more horsepower and how that impacts the team. It was really fun to watch our artists just go crazy because now they didn't really have to worry about polygons anymore. 'Make as many as you want!'

In the same interview Nintendo producer Kensuke Tanabe stated that the Texas-based studio has been working on a new project for a few months, with the team keeping busy since wrapping up Tropical Freeze production in November. When quizzed on what's next, Kelbaugh naturally resisted giving any details.

Let us know what you think of Kelbaugh's views on the Wii U as a "powerhouse", and what you hope the studio's been working on since November.

[via gamespot.com]

Related Games

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

I think It's sad that the Wii U even needs validation like this. I wish people were less concerned with having an uber powerful console, but it's clearly not the case.

cbkummer

cbkummer said:

METROID!!!!

Seriously, I really hope it's a new Metroid. And the Wii U is very much a powerhouse.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Don't care what it is, just hope it isn't a 3 year process or that they have an extra team or 2 so we can see more then 2 games from them this generation

skjia

skjia said:

I look forward to whatever the are making. They have yet to let me down. I would love a new Metroid but Retro has done a great job reviving Metroid and Donkey Kong so I would love to see what they could do with some other long neglected Nintendo Franchise.

Spartacus3765

Spartacus3765 said:

The most plausible title will probably be another fantastic Metroid installment. But the dreamer in me wants it so badly to be Star Fox.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Quite looking forward to whatever they're working on. Wish it was an all new "F-Zero" or "Starfox", but it's probably "Metroid" related. Either way, great news for us Wii U owners!

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

I don't want to say Metroid (considering what happened last time)... But it's Metroid, come on.

Frapp

Frapp said:

Look forward to seeing this – hopefully a new IP – some time in 2016.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

get metroid prime tilogy HD out this year to get everyone pumped up for Metroid Prime 4 to be released next year!

sonicfanatic

sonicfanatic said:

I don't know what it could be but what I do know is there will be more backlash if it isn't metroid

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

I Kinda hope its something new as much I enjoy Metroid I want to see what Retro are capable of that or reviving another ip like Star Fox or F Zero.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Starfox or F-Zero please. Nothing else would be an insta-buy for me. I'm still unsure if I will ever even get a wii u as the only games that look any good to me so far are Pikmin 3, yarn yoshi and SSB4. Make me buy a wii u retro,

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I will be happy with whatever they do. As Next Level Games, they have shown talent and passion in all of their projects.

With that said, I would like another Metroid from them, if they choose existing IPs. Not too thrilled about F-Zero and I would rather have Kamiya working on a new Star Fox.

RickyNGmr

RickyNGmr said:

Is just, I see the U and it looks as its have born to have in it METROID!! Have you guys ever wonder all the great uses the GamePad can have!! At first to scanning! Now just imaging having Samus' Suite display in the GamePad... in a game which already you have all your elements/armors available to use, and you makes your own combination as needed to your suite with only tapping each part of the suite and select the armor/capability you want to enable!! Of course, also, have the Map enabled on the GamePad to amplified each sector with only your finger (minority report hahaha); an such other things that can makes you feel that really you're immerse on Samus' world!!

2Sang

2Sang said:

@PrincessEevee9
Are you kidding or do you seriously want another DKC game? Diddy Kong racing probably can't work anymore since rare owns some of the characters, but maybe it could work with new characters or newer DKC characters. It definitely shouldn't be retro who makes it though, they've had their fun with DK now let someone else take the DK series.

FishieFish

FishieFish said:

We are proud to announce.....

The Adventures of Crankey Kang!1!: Legend of the Crystal Bannana!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

If they want to be compared with Rare they should make their own new stuff.

Rare never did the complaining about new IP not selling thing that is so common - they made it really good and then it sold.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I'd love to see Retro work on a Yoshi game sometime, actually. Seeing what they do for Donkey Kong makes me excited to see what they could do for Yoshi! Buuut with New Island coming and Yarn Yoshi as well (if it's not cancelled), that might be a little bit overkill for now. Here's hoping for an F-Zero or Star Fox from them~

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I don't care what they make. Every game they've ever made has been awesome, so make whatever you want, Retro. Metroid, another DKC, Star Fox, Zelda, Mario Paint, StarTropics, Ice Climber... I don't care. Just make it and release it before 2017, please.

On the topic of WiiU being a 'powerhouse,' keep in mind that before DKCTF, Retro never made an HD game. Its not like they're a 3rd party thats been making 360/PS3/PS4/XBO games for a while. WiiU is incredibly powerful compared to Wii/GCN, which is all Retro has experience with. WiiU pales in comparison to its current competition though. Not saying WiiU isnt good in terms of hardware, as i think it is more than capable of making great-looking games, but as far as being on an even playing field with PS4 or XBO? Not quite.

My argument is that it doesn't really need to be, as Nintendo has proved WiiU can host some beautiful games if the hardware is used properly, and graphics and RAM arent everything. But calling WiiU a powerhouse when it is factually the weakest console of the current generation (yes we can quit calling it next gen now... Its here already) is a bit of a stretch.

But its relative. It is, by far, a powerhouse compared to what Retro has previously had to work with.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Unless I missed it, he never said the new project was on the Wii U. And even if it were, based on current sales projections, I doubt will ever see it on Wii U. Like all those Gamecube games from this morning (thanks Thanos for the links). Maybe its 3DS, or the follow up Fusion. But unless its an eShop game I'm not holding my breath.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I'd love a new F-Zero game. It has such a huge backstory that you just don't get to see due to that it's a racing game. To get a new F-Zero with more than just racing elements... similar to GX but with a bigger deviation from racing. If that makes any sense?

Boxmonkey

Boxmonkey said:

Wow since November! That means we'll see this game in 2016 thanks nintendo I can't wait.

Frapp

Frapp said:

I can't see them on F-Zero. Monster Games surely would be a better fit. Failing that, I'd love to see The Next Penelope – Aurelien Regard's (formerly of Arkedo) wonderful-looking, new top-down F-Zero-inspired racing/shooter – come to Wii U.

Retro have to show their talent with a brand new IP.

Spartacus3765

Spartacus3765 said:

On a sort of separate note, I'm wanting to check out Retro's Donkey Kong Country Returns on either Wii or 3DS. Anyone have a preference as to which version they liked more? I'm sorta leaning towards the 3DS version and wanted to play it before eventually jumping into Tropical Freeze.

Korudo13

Korudo13 said:

Coming Soon. Retro Studios presents Donkey Kong Country Returns 2: The Revenge.

Seriously though, I'm pumped at whatever they're working on next. They have a knack for making fantastic worlds to explore. I kinda can't believe they did that so well with a 2D platformer (Tropical Freeze).

With that in mind, I'd love it if they did Star Fox too.

GooRoo

GooRoo said:

If it's anywhere near as fun as Tropical Freeze it'll be fantastic. Looking forward to hearing more about whatever it is!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Korudo13 I think Rogue Squadron was loads better than Starfox rather have another one of those but I suppose it cannot happen due to the EA exclusivity.

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

"We love working with Donkey Kong. It's a great character. It's a lot of fun. We love working with Metroid Prime, with Mario Kart; those are fun, fun games to work on. So, you know, you can't lose. Every one of those IPs have been a lot of fun to play with and work on and [we'd] love to come back to them sometime."

I don't think it's a Metroid or another Donkey Kong. I think it's a new IP!
Also, am I the only one who doesn't want Metroid/Star Fox?

GooRoo

GooRoo said:

And as far as horsepower goes, I think the Wii U's capabilities suit the Nintendo dynamic nicely. SM3DW and DKTF look amazing on the system. Maybe the system would struggle with something like The Order 1886 or MLB 14 The Show or any of these more detailed PS4 games — I don't know that much about the nitty-gritty tech specs and how they all work — but for Nintendo games at least, I think the Wii U has proven to be a very hearty and capable machine.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Spartacus3765 If you are going to use that video you need to use the youtube HTML5 player otherwise you won't see the difference properly. (Flash player is capped at 30fps) youtube.com/html5.

Frapp

Frapp said:

@Gold
No, you're not the only one. If Nintendo can't make them, I'd like Monster on F-Zero and Platinum on Star Fox.
I'd like to see Retro make a short, technically sound game that has lots of innovation. And to make it quickly.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

@bizcuthammer Couldn't agree more.

The Wii U is definitely the weakest machine in this current generation. However, it has more than sufficient amount of power to make a beautiful game! Just look at SM3DW, Pikim 3 and DKCTF, these games are extremely beautiful and by no means shabby in the graphics department.

The Wii U's may not be as detailed and have tad bit more edgy lines, but in the end it doesn't really matter when you play the game. Unless you are going to just sit there and stare at the screen. Which I'm going to do with a PS4 when I get one :P

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I want them to make a new IP. I love their games, it would be great to see them free to make whatever they want.

jasonbra

jasonbra said:

Please be a new Metroid Prime game. The gamepad would be incredible for it.
If its not Metroid, it better be a new IP.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

They are already developing a new game?! I'm looking forward to seeing it in a few years!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Hopefully it's a brand new game or one of their cancelled games. Raven Blade in HD would be a great addition to the Wii U library.

rbmoura85

rbmoura85 said:

I hope they are fooling us and despite this november project, theres also another one in a far more developed state...i dont believe they have spent so much time doing just DK and Mario Kart

Superryanworld

Superryanworld said:

@Spartacus3765 The 3ds version has a easy and original wii Mode.Not too many differences really other than framerate,and it didn't bother me.I actually liked the controls on 3ds more.

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

Hah. If they do happen to do Metroid, it ain't gonna be Metroid Prime. That storyline's finished. It might be a fps Metroid, but it won't be Prime. Also, they didn't make Other M. That was Team Ninja.

Actually, I'm kinda hoping for it to be another Metroid.

@2Sang
I'm sure @PrincessEevee9 meant something like Donkey Kong 64.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@PORYGON

Um, I would friggin LOVE to see a 3rd entry to DKC, are you kiddin' me? I love Metroid, but it's been 7-10 years since I last played the Prime trilogy. I can always go back and replay them and they'd feel like brand new games again. Particularly if playing the Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii with motion controls for all 3 games. I want a Metroid Prime 4 (or equivalent), but I equally want more DKC. I'm greedy like that...

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

"We love working with Donkey Kong. It's a great character. It's a lot of fun. We love working with Metroid Prime, with Mario Kart; those are fun, fun games to work on. So, you know, you can't lose."

I think he nailed it there, I really do. We CAN'T lose. No matter what game they give us, it's going to be one of the greatest games we've ever played. I know everyone has their own ideas of what they want that game to be, but objectively, DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze are every bit as good as the Prime trilogy. If they give us Metroid Prime 4, I'll freak out with excitement! If they give us Donkey Kong Country (3), I'll freak out with excitement! If they give us Spongebob friggin Squarepants, I'll freak out with excitement! Because you already know that's gonna be the best da** Spongebob you've ever played ;)

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@unrandomsam Though I'm curious to whether or not they are being restricted to certain IPs to create new projects for.

You can say it was probably different from the Rare days where Nintendo needed to stand out against the PS1. A lot of unique games came out of that period. Probably doesn't help that emphasis seems to be on pleasing shareholders (to a certain extent) over making a truly unique (and great) product.

However, that seems to be what Nintendo needs the most at the moment. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that the portable and console divisions should not have been merged together. It just seems ripe for group think (if it's not already a problem).

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

I think Retro would make a bada-- Star Fox game! Imagine flying an Arwing around a Cornerian space station, and whenever you want, you could land in the Great Fox for faster travel across the galaxy, or fly down onto the surface of the planet to land in a major city/countryside... Yeah, that's my big dream, open world (er... Galaxy) Star Fox :D

LexKitteh

LexKitteh said:

"We'd love to come back to them sometime" implies the franchises he mentioned aren't being worked on, to me. I'd love them to re-imagine Star Fox though!

JohniePizzapies

JohniePizzapies said:

Here is my thoughts on the Wii U and why I think it's a very valuable system too. I'm an older gamer I guess at 30 years old. Sometimes when my and my friends are bored either after going to the bar or instead of the bar we decide to play some video games. I have an Xbox One as well as one of my close friends. So last weekend we are pretty drunk and decide to play some video games on the Xbox one - two player video games. We first put in Need for Speed Rivals only to learn that it does not have a local two player option. Then we try to play Forza 5 and learn that it's so complicated to play 2 players because you have to log in guests and if you want to use more than just the basic 3 cars you have to import your account, which takes a while and then seems to screw up your system at home. About 30 minutes later we got bored of trying to learn how to play Xbox One and played Nintendo 64.

The beauty of the Wii U, and other Nintendo products, lies in that simplicity. I had people over my place and we had 5 people playing Nintendo Land or four people playing New Super Mario Bros. U in minutes. The controls weren't complicated and the game was accessible to drunk people who just want to be entertained.

Nintendo does a good job of realizing that there is a social component to games and racing someone in your living room is maybe better than an anonymous person a half a world away. I guess it is a sad commentary on our society when people would rather be called a homophobic slur by a pubescent child in his mother's basement while he shoots you in the face in a cookie cutter FPS than playing a game with close friends and getting to have actual, real, human interaction.

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

"Unfortunately, the perception is that it's not a very powerful machine. That's just not true. It's a powerhouse. It's more than adequate to make great games on."

The commodore 64 was adequate enough to make great games on. It's not the power of the console but the skill of the developers to make great games. Retro has skill.

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

I think it's funny how it's a powerhouse, and the very next sentence reads it's more than adequate! I'm glad a new game is coming,but people it's most likely a year, or 2 away..Also they finished production on dk in Nov ,yet us consumers wait months to play.. that's frustrating for us die hard wiiu owners starved for games..btw I have it(dk) and it's wonderful,truly the best looking wiiu game . So I know the best is yet to come.

King47

King47 said:

Whatever it is, it better not be a platformer.
My hope is that it's either metroid, f zero, or a new game.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I have a feeling it's Metroid, but that's what I thought before Tropical Freeze too. It could be just about anything. Regardless, I'm sure it's going to be good. They haven't disappointed us so far.

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

Oh my god, people still want them to make ANOTHER Donkey Kong game! We should all be shouting in unison for them to make a brand new, unique IP! OR at least a Nintendo franchise which hasn't been explored for a long while, like StarFox.

Monsti

Monsti said:

It sounds like it's not Metroid. I really think it's Zelda this time (there were rumors before Nintendo decided to make the last one Motion controlled). If so I'm more than excited.

shinokami

shinokami said:

I don't think they are working on Metroid as of now, BUT they worked in Mario Kart 7 which gave them some racing experience. I can only pray they are working on a new F-Zero now

faint

faint said:

Well one thing is certain if they mentioned a project in an interview it's because the big guys at nintendo wanted them too. I feel an hd remake coming on givin the time frame. You can quote me if ya like.

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

Work on a Metroid and then F-zero down the road or vice versa. F-zero could also use a 3ds title. To be honest, I prefer a F-zero than a metroid but metroid is the best decision.

jakysnakydx

jakysnakydx said:

Anyone who thinks Retro isn't working on a Wii U game is in my humble opinion Naive. They are OWNED by Nintendo and Nintendo is going to use one of their most recognized 'western' studios to make something that will draw people to the Wii U. Nintendo has NOT abandoned the Wii U, that's not how they function; they're going to keep making it a viable system for a while to come now.

QuickSilver88

QuickSilver88 said:

Retro is awesome and while they do take their time to make games it is worth it. They will likely only get 3 games out this generation but so what when they will be 3 great games. DKCTSF is superb and for those that want a stiffer challenge it is the best poatformer out there right now. Teams have been stepping up and saying WiiU has more pep than the detractors say. Ninendo has a chance to wow us this year because the announced tities all looked great in the last direct and hopefully this E3 they really please the faithful showing us Rares project, Zelda footage, SMTxFE, Yarn Yoshil, Shiggy IP. Honestly the XB1/PS4 lineups for 2014 don't look that strong so Nintendo could have the best exclusive lineup this year.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

@Gerbwmu Amen to that! Give me anything, Retro - I know it will be good, and I will get it regardless. Just don't make me wait for years.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

In my fantasy world, I'd like to see them tackle horror. Maybe somehow magically acquire the rights to Clock Tower. Hey, I can nightmare, right?

Artwark

Artwark said:

Its Metroid! It has to be Metroid!!!!! What else could it be?!?!?! Starfox?????

F-Zero?????

Granted I never played the Metroid Prime trilogy, But I would definitely get this one for sure!!!!!!!!

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

@cbkummer I don't think it is, the way he says about re-visiting dk, Mario kart and metroid in the last sentence make me think its something new.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I would love to see another Retro Metroid but I hope that is NOT what they are doing right now for the Wii U. I don't want to wait that long! I'm hoping someone else has already been working on it for over a year at least.

Really hoping there is a 2D Metroid around the corner at least. Maybe a remake or something to tide us Metroid fans over. :)

Henmii

Henmii said:

So we can safely assume we won't see their next title at E3! I wasn't it expecting it anyway, to early! It's okay, I can wait!

BAGBOY

BAGBOY said:

As much as I love star fox, f-zero or metroid, I would like to see them work on a new revival for a long long long LONG forgotten ip like ice climbers for example. I see a lot of potential in that franchise, instead of just climbing and climbing, they could make it like an adventure type of game, where you could upgrade your equipment or even make it rpg style and level up popo or nana, I don't know, but it's something I feel nintendo owes them.

sugarshack

sugarshack said:

I'm guessing a new IP or starfox. metroid seems too large of a project right now, Nintendo's business plan for the HD era has been ..start small, adjust to HD, and put out a quality product. starfox could be less work on environments and plot, whereas metroid has those two characteristics in spades.

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

Guys, he said that "we'd love to come back to them sometime". That seems like a good hint that they aren't working on Metroid or Donkey Kong.

I hope it's a new IP but unless it's a modest budget eshop title it won't sell. So hopefully it's F-Zero, Starfox or some other well known IP.

Nimious

Nimious said:

Powerhouse relative to last gen, lackluster relative to this gen.

The key words were that the Wii U is "more than adequate" to make great games but the the competitors might as well be limitless in comparison.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

If they do Metroid again, I hope they take a new approach to the franchise and not revert back to Prime. The Prime series was nice but it's time to move the franchise forward. Nintendo took a risk that didn't pay off with Other M, but I continue to hope that when they continue the series it will take another risky approach.

Who knows maybe they'll succeed next time.

Also if Samus continues to talk, make her more self-confident and strong willed like the original idea presented in past media (in Nintendo Power, she was basically an Amazon!). Also please bring back Jennifer Hale as the voice actor.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Started in November? So we'll see the game in about...2018?

Seriously though, the fact that he mentioned those series makes me think the new game isn't related to any of them. And while I would love to see another Metroid, the mystery is exciting.

noctowl

noctowl said:

@Spartacus3765 definitely go with 3DS. I have both versions, and the waggle on the wii version just killed it for me. And the bad part is I like motion controls.

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

Wow, allot of you are really stuck on Metroid or something old...not that those are bad but come on, don't you want them to attempt at creating something completely new? New IP would be the best thing for Nintendo provided it's well thought out and crafted which I'm sure with Nintendo & Retro working together it will be!

ToniK

ToniK said:

Nintendo already has platformers in 2d and 3d, racing, beat 'em up, third person adventure/action and strategy. What they need is an fps or open world. And I'm not talking about CoD or GTA here. Do it Nintendo style and people will adore you.

Oh yeah, and... Please be Metroid!

boynerdrambling

boynerdrambling said:

They pretty much confirm they aren't working on a new Donkey Kong or Metroid, yet you're all still going "omgz plz be metroid." Setting yourself up for massive disappoint guys. Heres hoping its a brand new IP of their own, they've more then proven themselves now.

AceTrainerBean

AceTrainerBean said:

You gotta love Retro, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is so awesome. I do think the Wii U is a great console I much prefer it over my PS4 (although that's not exactly a fair comparison as the PS4 has not got much games yet).

Action51

Action51 said:

I wonder who created the notion for people to demand Starfox and F-Zero on every Nintendo article. Where did this meme start? Why do people keep repeating it?

Really? Starfox was more of a novelty game that used the "FX" chip technology, and the sequels and offshoots were just okay. None of the games have aged well and look awful compared to more traditional 2D games of that era.

F-Zero was something of a novelty, demonstrating "mode 7" technology. It' has aged VERY badly as well. F-Zero GX was pretty nice, but people want "real world" racers, and how many of you even entertained the very thought of maybe thinking about possibly some day considering the notion of perhaps trying ExciteTruck or Excitebots: Trick Racing for Wii?

When Nintendo makes racing games that contained the same sense of breakneck speed and impossible air that were superior in almost every way to F-Zero...they sort of bombed commercially.

faint

faint said:

@element187 considering that a number of them are on the mario kart team and a number of them dolled up dktf.......hhmmmm november to april is 6 months. wind waker hd had a 6 month development time. june is approaching very fast. we shall see.

Alucard83

Alucard83 said:

Starfox adventure 2 please! No shooter! We have already on many consoles that kind of game. We want a true HD adventure game! Lol

TheLegendary1

TheLegendary1 said:

I like the idea of a new F-Zero, but Sega should make it. They make excellent arcade racers and have been doing so for decades. They would absolutely crush an F-Zero game. As for Star Fox, it's hard to continue that series because on rails shooters are too short and every other genre Fox has been in has been mediocre at best. That one should sit on the shelf a little long, or be released as an wahoo exclusive for both WiiU and 3DS....
Lastly, Metroid. I love Metroid and have played every game in the series aside from Other M. The problem is they sold poorly on every console but the GameCube. The question is why? Each entry on the cube launched next to a Halo, and didn't get near as much notoriety though it was arguably the better single player campaign in both entries. Prime 3 in the Wii barely even registered at all, but that one was awesome.

I honestly have no idea what Retro will do, but I hope it's NOT F-Zero or Star Fox related. Metroid, sure you can't go wrong. Nintendo needs a system seller after Zelda (Which us supposed to come out this year btw) and Retro us tackling that I have I doubt. Something tells me it's new IP, but I really hope it's RAVENBLADE!!!!

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

I wouldn't mind some more DKC personally. Though I'm fine with whatever they decide to make. I've loved all of their titles so far, amazing bunch of developers :D

Frapp

Frapp said:

@Action51
You made some very good points. We never got Excitebots in Europe, but I think Monster Games did a marvellous job with Excite Truck – an extremely well-playing videogame that did everything right for me, except sell well, as you say.
Rather than a full-blown full-price game, I'd like to see Monster Games, perhaps aided by another studio, create a remake of the N64's F-Zero X with online, preferably on the 3DS. And as I said above, I'd love to see Aurelien Regard's new game on a Nintendo platform: Untitled
We really need to start seeing more smaller scale games from Nintendo. Only a select few genres are still selling at £40. Times are changing.

Goginho

Goginho said:

The man gets it. People have been blindly concerned about the console's power and therefore ignoring the beautiful games it has, which is so stupid tbh.. Why get caught up on having the most beast of a machine, when the whole point is to play the games, which the Wii U does quite well.

I really, really hope it's a 3D Donkey Kong game they're making next. It's pretty unlikely imo., but I really want to play something like DK64 -a true sequel, improved upon in all the ways. Oh, not to mention, the graphical / visual capabilities we have today would make a 3D DK game a truly outstanding experience. Just imagine it ..drooooool.

Miss_Dark

Miss_Dark said:

how about.. something NEW? :) no metroid no star fox, just blow us away with something new :) ... in 2015 rofl.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

A new Metroid, the return of Diddy Kong Racing (don't even know if that's possible because of Rare characters), or their own IP. They had amazing ideias for new IP back on GCN that were cancelled in favour of Metroid Prime. Whatever it is, since it's been worked on since November, we'll get a glimpse of it at E3.

bloodycelt

bloodycelt said:

I want it to be Metroid, but I don't think it will be. Nintendo needs this to sell well in Japan, and Metroid never sells well in Japan. Its probably another Donkey Kong title. I actually think the Metroid franchise died with Other M.

Daisaku36

Daisaku36 said:

I think it'll be another DKC game, if they go back to Metroid that would seem somewhat backwards. Either way, it will be interesting to find out what it is.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

Wait, do Retro it's been done with DKCR:TP since November!?!? So what's with the "...we're delaying DKCTP until February next year to resolve some minor issues..." Or something like that excuse that Iwata gave us on the Nintendo Direct back in October/November?? So Iwata lied to us because he knew they would have another game drought this year and that's why they delayed it!!!!

WTF! Didn't Nintendo learn anything from the near failure experience they had with the 3DS two years ago and the bad first year of the U!?!?

I'm sorry but two AAA titles (by two different studios) in five months is not going to cut it! Iwata's business moves are really going to make of the U the next VB or DC!!!

Senario

Senario said:

@Dark-Link73 Or you know, you could play that backlog of games or older games while you wait. I don't see how people have the time to play so many games after work and socializing with friends and family. And all the other chores.

NathanVS

NathanVS said:

If it is another DK game, I hope its a 3D DK game. Diddy Kong Racing 2 should be developed by Monster Games.

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

I still think Metroid cuz of Reggie wearing that pin at VGX, pretty sure they did something similar with a banana or something and DKTF came out so i'll go with that

Shambo

Shambo said:

A horror themed Metroid game is my dream to play on this here Wii U. But the disappointment of last announced game being DK TF melted like snow for the sun once I played the game, so I guess whatever it is, it'll turn out great! Still... Slow, dark, scary Metroid game... Anyone?

Marshi

Marshi said:

The wii u is certainly a powerhouse,and its a much smaller gap between the wii u and ps4 than the wii and ps3 had. However its been pretty much confirmed,though a powerhouse,the wii u is a hard to develop for powerhouse. This could go one of 2 ways. Either,like the ps3,we will start to see some spectacular tech been thrown around over the next year or so. Or devs just wont bother investing the time and money needed to make the machine sing.
Unfortunately im thinking the latter may be the more realistic assumption. I really hope im embarrasingly wrong

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

@element187 yeah, kinda what i was meaning but just through in random early date lol. Kinda like what they did to hold us over til WiiU Zelda came out, by doing WW HD. It's only a dream of mine, though :(

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

To be honest, I'm really hoping Retro is doing a brand new IP that they alone are in charge of. Don't get me wrong, I love what they have done with Donkey Kong and Metroid, but a development house this talented should be allowed to do their own IPs, rather than simply working on old IPs that Nintendo hands them.

One of the great things about the old Rare was that alongside their efforts with Donkey Kong, they also worked on their own IPs like Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo Kazooie, and Conker.

Imagine the awesome games Retro could come up with if they worked on a brand new IP that's not tied to an existing Nintendo franchise. Maybe Retro could give Nintendo their own first-party FPS game, or maybe something that might make the Wii U appeal to Western Gamers even more. Rather than hoping they work on a new F-Zero or Star Fox, I say let them showcase their talent with their own IP that they create.

As much as I want to see a new F-Zero or Star Fox, I would rather see Retro start making their own IPs and further diversifying Nintendo's lineup of games.

Imagine Retro making a FPS, Western RPG, Action Game, or something else that is Nintendo published. Given their talent, it would turn heads, and might bring back lapsed fans who are tired of Nintendo's standard offerings, and might make other system fanboys quiet down when they see that Nintendo can publish games that appeal to western tastes and aren't Mario and Zelda.

Retro is the only western second-party that Nintendo has. I'm all for letting them showoff the talent that they have gained by working on Nintendo's IPs, and the result could be a major advantage for the Wii U if they can make that one game that appeals to people who are tired of Mario and Zelda.

Rare did it back on the N64. In fact, it could be argued that Rare played a larger role in saving the N64, than Nintendo themselves did, and much of their output were their own IPs.

Why not give Retro that same shot?

M0HAWKMonkey

M0HAWKMonkey said:

Metroid was what Me and a friend were thinking due to Samus Arans ship Easter egg in DKCTF but it'd be nice to see them do Star Fox or any other Nintendo Series that doesn't get much attention nowadays.

ThatFlint

ThatFlint said:

The Wii U is more powerful than you think, but people just don't know. The PS4 and Xbone are considered the most powerful systems and the Wii U underpowered, but it's just not true. The Wii U's semi-conductor is three times as powerful as the Xbone's, with 32 MB of eDRAM, which makes it easier to make games in 1080p/60fps for Wii U if the developer is capable enough. Many devs aren't used to the Wii U's architecture, with a GPGPU (a GPU with CPU capabilities), and as a result, they call the Wii U underpowered. Ports look bad, because the CPU is slower and rewriting the entire game to make better use of the Wii U's hardware takes too much time and effort. It's terrible, but at least the 1st party titles look amazing on Wii U (see: Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, DKC Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World).

Action51

Action51 said:

@Frapp They never released Excitebots: Trick Racing in Europe? That's a terrible shame, it's a great sequel that really takes the stunts and tricks to the next level.

I think the main problem is that Excitebots didn't fall exactly perfectly into a genre. It was too fast and technical to be a kart racer, while obviously being an unrealistic racing sim without real world licenses.

Still, no racing game I've played delivers that sense of speed and air quite the same as Excite Truck and Excitebots.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

My prediction from this... They are working on an existing Nintendo franchise, but not one they have worked with before. Maybe Star Fox.

JayMiller1988

JayMiller1988 said:

Wouldn't be interested unless it was a Metroid game. Preferably not a Prime title, as I can only kill Dark Samus so many times.

An Other M-type gamestyle with significantly less story, less talking, and tons of tweaks and I'll buy it before I buy a Wii U!

ModernMARVEL

ModernMARVEL said:

I'd want TeamNinja to take another crack at Metroid, albeit with less unskippable cutscenes. I can't wait to see what Retro makes next though, no matter what it may be.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

I would love them to do a first person f-zero or star fox, other than that it would be nice to see them finish Raven Blade. Not happy about the news they've only been working.on something since November though, had thought that as DK wasn't some huge leap in game physics or AI since wii it would have been made by only a portion of the team at retro and the rest would be surprising us with something at E3.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Wave Race, Star Fox or F-Zero, please. I'd take any one of those and I think Retro could do justice to each.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Spartacus3765

I played both versions and prefer it on 3DS just because of the portable factor. Will say though, the framrate seems a bit more stable on the Wii version, but I also have the digital copy of the game for the 3DS, it's possible that the retail version runs better. I have heard of that happening for some games before. Either way, can't really go wrong, the game is still very playable on 3DS, I think it's really a matter of how important the portable factor is to you. If you're on the road a lot, I'd say go with 3DS.

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

@2Sang Are you high or completely incapable of doing research? Nintendo owns all playable characters barring Conker and Banjo as they proved in the DS remake. And no Retro has shown that they are the only ones completely capable of handling the juggernaut series besides Rare. And for what for them to do some shoddy Starfox, Metroid, or F-Zero game that won't sell no matter how God-tier it is because fans have shown that they aren't invested enough in those series anymore and Nintendo is in no shape to be wasting money on throwaway titles.

@Gold I concur.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@PrincessEevee9 Retro are the only ones who have tried. We won't find out until they do something completely new. (Like Rare did lots and lots of times).

The people won't buy new stuff argument doesn't wash - Donkey Kong Country / Killer Instinct / Banjo were new IP and did fine.

Nintendo are not diverse enough. Individual titles doesn't matter but diversity does. More profit from less consoles sold but people buying loads of games.

Rafie

Rafie said:

I hope that Retro stays exclusive to Nintendo and no other. I know that sounds selfish, but Retro has proven that they are in the big boy leagues with the rest of the more talked about studios like Naughty Dog, Rockstar, etc.

DKC: TF is RIDICULOUSLY fun! Can't say I'm surprised. I look forward to their next project. We won't see it for another 2 years or so, but I gather next year we'll see a trailer of the new game. I can't wait.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I wonder If they are also working on the upcoming Super Smash! I mean, from the sound of it the people from Retro are the people to go to for all kind of small development jobs for Nintendo! This holds back their own projects I guess (we have to wait longer), but I guess it can't be helped!

luisesteban

luisesteban said:

OMG, he says:

Ok, they have just finished Donkey Kong, Mario Kart in about to been release by another studio, and he mentioned Metroid Prime...but also says that hey love to come back to them sometime...so if they aren't making even another game of Donkey Kong, the only option that they can going back is Metroid Prime.

atomicjuicer

atomicjuicer said:

Metroid, F-Zero, Starfox or maybe something flashback-like. A proper sci fi futuristic adventure!

I actually hope Metroid is already in the works somehow and not only started in November.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I hope it's not Metroid simply because I'm hoping someone else has been working on that long enough for us to see it this year. Let Retro do something new, just spare them from 2d platformers.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

@Senario I completely understand what you mean. I have and extensive library of Nintendo games (around 400+) which I could play for years to come. However, I haven't finished most of my games because I have so many, along with a life, wife, kids, work, etc., that I can't really game for hours and hours like most adolescents. :-)

Pod

Pod said:

Whatever they're working on, it probably won't be on display this E3, so the speculation will go on for a while.

Seems he hinted that they're working on something they haven't been on before. Freemium (ala Subwars) Starfox for Wii U?

Would be a great choice for free online with freemium single player content.

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

@McHaggis
Definitely. Graphics don't make the console (but they help). "PS4 looks better than Wii U." All I have to say to that is, "Thanks for your service to the country, Captain Obvious." Those people like that need to get lives.