Retro City Rampage DX is "Doing Great" on 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Vblank Entertainment shows interest in a future 3DS release

It's no secret that of the income Vblank Entertainment and its founder has earned from Retro City Rampage, the WiiWare version has contributed little, potentially nothing. When we last raised the topic with the studio's founder Brian Provinciano he reiterated that he'd earned nothing from the Nintendo release, due to its failure to meet the platform's sales threshold. Thankfully that policy is long gone, and the 3DS eShop — as well as its Wii U contemporary — is far more supportive in helping small developers receive reward for their work.

With RCR arriving on so many platforms the developer has enjoyed some success, and it seems the new DX version is performing well and, we'd hope, making up for some of the investment lost on WiiWare. In a Q & A conducted on Twitter, the developer highlighted that he was happy with progress on the handheld's store.

Elsewhere it was explained that a new project is planned, while the tweet above shows that there's enthusiasm to work on the 3DS once again — the Wii U was mooted, but not substantially. At present the focus is on some additional updates and recuperation after a gruelling work schedule.

As for those updates, Vblank Entertainment also sent out a recent press release highlighting the inclusion of car garages in a new Steam update, which will also make it into the DX version on the 3DS eShop.

Have you picked up Retro City Rampage DX on the 3DS, or do you plan to?

Thanks to Benedict for the tip.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

All is good, even gunman clive did well on the 3DS instead of some other things, hope some more indies take a liking to this.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

It's on my wish list and more then likely will wait for a sale. I have a backlog longer then most people have games!

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Wow, cool! I've never owned a game that updated to add new stuff instead of updating to fix things! I feel so pampered!

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

I've already grabbed RCR for my 3DS, but haven't got round to anything more than a quick 'taster' sesh as yet. I also bought the WiiWare and Vita versions last year.

If only I could buy a Wii U version — or — control the original WiiWare version with the GamePad! As with pretty much all Wii games, RCR looks much, much better on Wii U, particularly when played via the GamePad, but being forced to use Wii controllers is both awkward and frustrating!!

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I'm loving it! It was worth the way to be able to play this on 3DS! Hope to see what VBlank produces next.

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

@TeeJay I recall the 3DS version of Mighty Switch Force being updated with another five or so levels a year or two back. Oh and the excellent Mutant Mudds is scheduled to get the 'Deluxe' treatment soon.

Hmph, Mutant Mudds - ANOTHER Wii U game I wish I could play. Yep, I'm an EU gamer. Will it ever make it across the pond? I've almost given up hope :-(

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I'm glad he is recovering from all the "live-savings" he lost doing the WiiWare version. smh

Emblem

Emblem said:

I'm glad he decided to port it to the 3DS, the Wii port came way too late. I doubt it sold much which may have left him disillusioned with Nintendo products and fans.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@AcesHigh73 The Wii version of this looks best on a 4:3 CRT. (If only because you don't need any of the hacks to try and make it look like one) and there are no borders or anything.

dumedum

dumedum said:

I would have bought if I haven't already played and loved every second of it on WiiWare.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Already had the WiiWare version, got the 3DS version as well. Really great! The twin-stick controls on Wii were great, but the lock on isn't bad, the game is still as much fun as ever!

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

Great, another 3DS eShop game that's doing great. Mighty Switch Force, Gunman Clive, Steamworld Dig, and now RCR!

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Love this game and i'm secretly hoping for cpp/3D update. The exclusion of 3D on a 3DS makes little to no sense to me. And yes, 3D was and is a major selling point for me.

Ren

Ren said:

So glad to hear this. This is on my short list, and I gave my Wii to my nephew; never had time to finish it on there. Truly an amazing game and well deserved success.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Thanks to Best Buy I have some extra funds for the eShop........as a fairly new 3DS owner.....would anyone recommend this game and what is it like. Any other older indie type titles on the eShop I should look for?

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

@Gerbwmu RCR is kinda funny to me, it's like an classic 8 Bit Saints Row game.

Gunman Clive, Steamworld Dig, Liberation Maiden, HarmoKnight, Mutant Mudds, Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword are great games you should try out. :P imo

Edit: HarmoKnight and Sakura Samurai may not be indie games, but still good eShop exclusives.

antipop621

antipop621 said:

Great news!! Very happy for the creator. I haven't grabbed it yet, but will when I've finished a few more games in process.

MeWario

MeWario said:

@Gen0neD Yes but it makes sense. This game is made to look like an old game and I like to think of it as a virtual console title, hence no 3D. It would be a pretty lengthy and painful job converting it to 3D just so we can play what is supposed to look like a NES title in 3D.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

@MeWario Yes, but what you're suggesting is rational. Rarely do video games and rational behavior intertwine. So, i'm gonna go ahead and be a typical insaitiable/irrational gamer and say," Gimme what I want! And work harder/faster at delivering it!" Please.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Well great! It's a really fun game. I'm not sure if I love or hate getting incredibly confused by the absurd story line however.

Gioku

Gioku said:

Yeah the game is totally awesome! :D

...I've convinced at least three friends to get it, and we're all having a blast! :D

aj_fowl

aj_fowl said:

@Gen0neD On Miiverse he gave reasons why he didn't include it. He'd have to redue a lot of the game code to include 3D, plus it apparently didn't look that impressive being a 2D top down game. People have suggested that he add it to the minigames though. He might do that since the checkpoints and garages where requested on Miiverse.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Thanks for letting me know that.Yeah, I don't want to be a snot about it. I just thought it would look cool in 3D. This info give me a glimmer of hope that they'd still include it sometime as dlc. If its that much extra work to implement, I'd happily pay for it. No problem.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

@Giygas_95 Got it, LOVE it, This is not generally my style of game but I can pick it up [intending ] to play 5 minutes, and hour later I'm still playing and it feels as though only 5 min have passed. I have laughed out loud while playing this game every time. Next to Fire Emblem [my first gaming love along wiht advance wars]this rates as the best I've downloaded from eshop to date, as far as fun, entertaining, amount of content, quality etc, I can go on and on. Very good for the price point, THANK YOU. If you're not sure, get it, you won't be sorry at 10. USD. As for thefast story line, orignaly I was confused but the ease of replay-ability made this a moot point. I played first the free play, to get the feel, then the achievements than the story.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@SyFyTy When you said, "If you're not sure, get it..." were you referring to me or were you just speaking in general? Reason I ask is because I already have this game, but I agree...it is really fun!