Retro City Rampage: DX Hits The 3DS eShop This Week in North America, 20th February in Europe

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Those new 'DX' features are also explained

Just recently it was confirmed that Retro City Rampage: DX was set to arrive this month, but we're pleased to now confirm that it actually lands in North America in this week's download update — on 6th February — for $9.99; its European release date is 20th February.

As teased previously, the DX in the name reflects the fact that this represents a "definitive" version of the game, including all 16 of the updates that have arrived on PC along with some others developed specifically for the 3DS. Brian Provinciano of Vblank Entertainment has kindly provided the following details.

• Missions — these have been tweaked for a better experience on the 3DS and overall, with edits to improve pacing.
  • Controls & Weapons — It's now possible to jump when firing, and weapons have generally been re-balanced. Car and explosive effects are also improved, and there's also an "'8-BIT' mode if you want a more '80s experience".
  • Arcade Challenges — The weapon upgrades are targeted to improve these challenges, while they've been tweaked for overall improvements.
  • Hijacking Weapons — As revealed earlier, you can hijack weapon trucks or, if you're feeling more sporting, buy guns.
  • Losing the Cops — When escaping the cops, a new mechanic encourages you to clear the cops on screen, collect a medal and then promptly make your escape, while these wanted status coins can be found elsewhere and you can still opt to get your car re-sprayed.
  • Minimap, Touch & UI — The dual screen 3DS setup is used to display a dynamic map on the touch screen, which can be modified to show specific landmarks and more. You can zoom the map, select weapons and change radio stations on the touch screen, too.

Provinciano also explained a few elements not included on the 3DS. One is that the viewing area is smaller on the 3DS version, as the "full screen" made the pixels appear too small on the handheld — to compensate there's now a more dynamic camera that, for example, pans ahead when driving. Provinciano states that "in the end it actually feels better to me, and it turned out to be a bit of a happy accident."

The only notable disappointment in the details is that Circle Pad Pro support, previously confirmed, isn't included. This was simply due to the fact that the developer felt that, while functional, the control scheme wasn't ideal and would have led to bad impressions for gamers.

Because RCR:DX uses the face buttons and touch screen, the right circle pad added by the CPP made reaching over to press them a bit awkward. While I mapped key face button actions to the CPP's triggers to make them more comfortable, it just wasn't as intuitive.

Aside from that, this seems like an exciting iteration of the popular title, which was already pretty darn good on WiiWare; not to mention the fact it has 24 TV Colour Modes for messing about with the display. We'll be putting it to the test for a review, soon.

So, it arrives sooner than we may have previously thought. Let us know if you plan to pick it up, while below is a video showing some of the major updates in action.

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

Woot! I'll Download this puppy tomorrow play all day in waits of BD on Friday ;) then get back into it in a few weeks haha

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Have fun playing the most overrated game on the planet. I have it on WiiWare and I'm hoping the "DX" in the name indicates they actually included the fun factor this time.

Emblem

Emblem said:

Whoa that was fast, wasn't this only to submitted to Nintendo a week or so ago?

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

This one is a sure thing for me.

It's "funny" that Provinciano, Bertil Hörberg and other small (or one man) studios are able to publish in Europe almost at the same time than in USA but Nicalis is not... which makes Tyrone Rodriguez's recent words ridiculous. Stop making up lame excuses.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

For me having the circlepad pro attached overrides anything else as it is much more comfortable to hold for my hands. Especially if doing so avoids the need to use the L button which is terrible with the dpad.

Robo-Knight

Robo-Knight said:

I can't wait for this Game, day 1 buy for me! :)

But there's 1 thing that gets too me though, why is it that 1001 Spikes which was announced way before RCR, isn't even out yet on the 3DS EShop, but this Game is, yeesh.

tigermask

tigermask said:

Yes! DAY 1 download for me in Europe! I liked the colour pallets, I think I saw a clear Gameboy set there.

Zach

Zach said:

I agree with @bezerker99 about the game being overrated, but I don't know if it's as overrated as all that. Way too much text near the beginning (I say near the beginning as I lost interest before getting farther than that) and, perhaps worse still, I just didn't think it was funny at all. It seemed to be throwing as many references at me as it could think of without any finesse or subtlety whatsoever. That really annoyed me.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

In all honestly, I'll end up buying the game for my 3DS at some point. Whether I'll play it or not I'm not sure. >.<

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

@bezerker99 Just completely out of curiosity, are you old enough to have lived through the 80s? I suspect there are plenty of people who did and still didn't like the game because it's not their kind of game, but I'm thinking there are a lot of younger people who simply are incapable of enjoying the game the same way because it's completely built around nostalgia in terms of references AND gameplay.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

It's a love project that simply won't resonate the same way with anyone born after... '90 or something.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

@Squiggle55 - I was born in the 70's and grew up during the 80's. My first games I ever played were cabinet coin-op arcade machines. (my profile page, bro)

Anyways, I've played all the original games that are referenced in RCR. I was a HUGE proponent of this game when it was first announced. And then the long LOOOONG wait for it to finally get released on WiiWare and...I was just disappointed in it. That's all.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

@bezerker99 Ok cool just wondering. Like I said I know there are plenty of people who just don't like the game, but I was wondering because the whole thing is one giant nostalgia bomb. I don't think I would enjoy it half as much without the segments based off of old games like TMNT and whatnot.

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

Does anyone know how many blocks this game will use up on the 3DS memory card? I have not much to spare.

Webby-sama

Webby-sama said:

Interested enough to buy if/when there's a sale in some odd months. Can't find a point in buying new eShop games full price right now since Bravely Default is in two days and I know that will be eating half of my 3DS time, with MH3U continuing to take the rest.

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

I own it on steam, so it will get the update thats almost the same as the 3ds version (except for touch screen stuff). Im considering getting it for the 3ds but i may just stick with my steam version right now.

RR529

RR529 said:

I may get it eventually, but I'm WAAAAY behind on eShop stuff.

I think the last game I bought off the eShop was Oracle of Seasons, and that was back in September, lol.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

While i understand the developer's decision to axe the cpp. Im still a little upset that they didnt leave it as an option for the player. I would've liked to have made that call myself. Im gonna go ahead ask, oh so nicely, that they release an update to support it. Still gonna buy it but, that kinda took the wind outta my sails a bit.

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

Definally downloading this tomrrow! Loved RCR on Wiiware, and this looks like the perfect reason to revisit Theftopolis.

Hopefully, this version proves very successful for Mr. Provinciano. :p

Gioku

Gioku said:

:O
Pokémon Bank today, and this tomorrow?
And it'll probably snow on Friday (where I live)...
Can this week get any better? :D

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

I have this one on PS3 and Wii so I'm not quite sure I'll bite again...
but it really is a solid title. A lot of the charm for me comes from the references. It's heavily 80s and 90s pop culture with some more recent jokes dropped in as well. I liked it.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

@DarkCoolEdge Yes I agree, Tyrone Rodriguez is full of bs.
He just doesn't care to release anything in Europe and I so much hope that some other company that has more interest in having fans and people purchasing the games takes over and gets the European publishing rights.

We have been robbed of so many awesome Pixel and other game creators games since Nicalis is so inadequate in doing the publishing.

Cave Story and Ikachan etc. have been over a year ago released in USA, but not yet in Europe.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Control Pad Pro is dead, and I haven't ever seen a Pro Control pad for the xL. If a 3DS game requires it, I mark it off my must have list. And as it is, Retro City Rampage is high on that my list.

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

damn. cpp makes games so much better. i cant beleive they wouldnt just leave it as an option for people who want to use it. lame. i was sold on this game but now im having second thoughts.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

I bought the game on PS3 and while I can appreciate the work that went in, and I enjoyed the nostalgic 80 references that recall my childhood pop-culture memories, I just found the actual game not that much fun to play.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Screw the CPP. I'm glad they made the game to benefit without that clunky add-on. Now I can have the full experience without feeling like something's missing.