Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth Heading to 3DS in North America This Fall

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A first for a Nintendo system

In recent times we've been posting some information on Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth as the build up continues to its June release in Japan. Thankfully we no longer need to consider it a matter for import, as Atlus has confirmed the title will come to North America in Fall this year.

This game blends characters from Persona 3 & 4 with gameplay influenced by the Etrian series — most importantly it'll also be the first appearance of the franchise on a Nintendo system. Below is an excerpt from the Atlus press release explaining more.

Characters from Persona 3 and 4 have been given a complete visual overhaul to match the Etrian style and plunged into an alternate world resembling Yasogami High School. Legend has it that listening to the end of the bell chimes of Yasogami High's clock tower causes people to die, and this time the bell tolls for the Investigation Team and the SEES. Trapped in an other-world filled with Shadows, the protagonists from Persona 3 and Persona 4 each have different events to follow, allowing the player to choose and experience two different plotlines. As both groups seek a way out of the labyrinth, they will run in to two new characters, Rei and Zen, who may hold the secret to this new mystery.

Atlus seems to be gearing up for a busy year — three other Persona games have been confirmed (of various styles) across the PS3, Vita and Xbox 360 — now that owner Sega has confirmed restructuring plans that leave the studio in a strong position. The North American arm of the company looks set to continue its previous good work with releases such as this 3DS title, though unfortunately none of this localisation news applies to Europe at this time.

Are any of you excited about picking up Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth on the 3DS later this year? Check out the teaser trailer below and let us know.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Good, i was hoping it wasn't coming in the first have of the year with Conception 2 right around the corner!

Anybody get a bit of that Bleach feeling from those shadow monsters?

Emblem

Emblem said:

Still waiting for a couple Atlus games in the UK so i doubt we will see this until mid 2015 at the earliest.

Blaze

Blaze said:

"Thankfully we no longer need to consider it a matter for import..."

Europeeuropeeuropeeuropeeuropeeuropeeuropeeuropeeuropeeuropeeuropeeuropeeuropeeuropeeuropeeuropeeurope?????????????????

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

If nothing about this game gets annouced for UK by the time the US version comes out, I most likely will have to buy a American 2DS just for this game and all the other games Atlus is holding at ransom from Europe.

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

serious no european release date. Bloody carry on with Atlus its not if they need to translate it for uk

AVahne

AVahne said:

I should finish up P3P on my PSP go, then get P4G when I get a Vita so I can know who all these characters are when I get PQ. 3DS really is a strange platform of choice for this game.

Jayvir

Jayvir said:

As a big fan of SMT, Persona and Etrian Odyssey IV, I'm pretty psyched for this. I'm still not sold on the chibi-fication of the series though.

ueI

ueI said:

Where do people get the idea that this will play like Etrian Odyssey? It very well could, but I certainly can't tell from the screenshots in the trailer.
On another note, do you think people will have to have played Personas 3 and 4 to get the most out of Q? Or will it be aimed at series newcomers?

Kosmo

Kosmo said:

I hope P4 Dancing All Night is ported to 3DS... Given the Vita sales, I have hope...

Squid

Squid said:

Good to know, though I expected it would come to NA after all. I hope it goes to Europe, too though! I can tell this game's gonna be good.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Man I don't want to import so hopefully EU will get this even though we still don't have SMTIV.

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

Never played anything less than good and for the most part great when it comes to the Persona series. Bringing 3 and 4 together and mashing in some EQ-ish elements, has the potential for real greatnes. This is Day One just like P5 in 2015. No questions asked.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@ueI Because that's what Atlus said.

"You got Persona in my Etrian! You got Etrian in my Persona! Well, you're right on both counts. Persona Q is a cross-over for the Nintendo 3DS™ system that brings Persona 3 and 4 characters to the gameplay style of Etrian Odyssey. It also marks the first time the Persona franchise will be available on a Nintendo system."

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I love Persona, but not such a fan of EO, and this is more like an EO game with a Persona skin, so I'm not terribly excited for it. I'd give a demo a go if one becomes available though.

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

I like this idea a lot,combining Etrian Odyssey with the dark world of Persona and I'm super hyped for this game. The 3DS is becoming one of my favorite gaming systems; it's definitely up for best handheld IMO.

Jampie

Jampie said:

Very excited for this game! I love EO and I do like Persona (only played one Persona game so far... so can't say I love the series just yet!).

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I share @uel 's second concern. I have never played any Persona games but I feel attracted to this one. Hopefully they announce something for Europe soon.

Inev

Inev said:

Ya know what's funny, I was never interested in the Persona series, nor Etrian Odyssey, but I'm really looking forward to this game, haha.

Does anyone know if Persona games usually include both Japanese and English voice tracks? I've been watching the little character bio videos Atlus has been putting on their YT channel the past few Fridays, and now I've grown accustomed to the Japanese voicework.

Ash_Anne

Ash_Anne said:

So, I have never played a Persona game. Would Persona 4 Golden been a good game to start with? I have played the Shin Megami Tensei games but I am not sure how similar they are to Persona.

lamco

lamco said:

I've always had interest in the persona series, but never got round to it. I might pick it up when its released.

Superconsole

Superconsole said:

Ack! So excited! :D I am beyond obsessed with Persona 4 Golden atm, so will be sure to love this one too

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

High time! It was pretty much guaranteed that this would be announced, but the wait was killing me.

Yomerodes

Yomerodes said:

@Peach64

I am also a Persona fan while I have never been into the EO series, but I disagree with you. I liked the EO IV demo, the cute artstyle of the characters was nice, the gameplay mechanics sound and the dungeon mapping quite addictive...but I completely disliked the lack of character narrative and weak character interaction, while on the other hand, Untold Millenium Girl turned me off with the unimpressive cast and archaic (as in EO 1) mechanics.

Now, this game as I see it is far more than a EO game with a Persona Skin, it is more like a Persona game, with the aesthetics and first person navigation of EO and with any luck, the create your own map mechanic. This would actually take the best parts of EO, while also removing the worst part of Persona (the generic third person dungeon crawling, yuck), while giving us zany and funny interaction and character dialogue with the best of both the most recent Personas.

MamaLuigi

MamaLuigi said:

I really don't mind the style change of the character designs for Persona Q. I mean, it's semi-chibi and not full chibi like certain titles such as Blazebloo (DSi version of Blazeblue) and also, like they said, similar to Etrian Odyssey, which I thought was charming.

Player4

Player4 said:

But I really want to play this and Persona 5 Atlus! What has Europe done to you to deserve this?!

Also, I need to play Persona 4.. But I don't have a Vita..

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@Ash_Anne I would recomend P1 so you see how the series started to build. As for SMT, well the modern Persona games focus less on demonic corruption and more on psychology though the demons are still there but are known as Personas (aka your inner demon) and the games have a slightly lighter tone than the main series (SMT) and focus more on social aspects as well to become stronger in battle. Key traits such as fusions and dungeon crawling still remain.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Um, Idk if I'm "excited" to pick this game up later in the year, but nonetheless pick it up I will

AVahne

AVahne said:

@SamirMalik
Except those games have no connection to Persona when it comes to story at all. Especially since this new game is a crossover with characters that Nintendo-only players would know nothing about.
Though I guess this could serve as good advertisement to get more people to buy a Vita and P3P and P4G.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

It's ATLUS all over again. It would've been extremely questionable if they weren't gonna localize it at all, but Europe once again gets the short end of the stick.

Here's hope that SEGA will take care of us europeans, but until they confirm it, that's only wishful thinking...

Heiki

Heiki said:

Nice, this can keep me busy until Persona 5 comes to my PS3 next year.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Glad to see this coming this year I was not expecting that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks great and i will certainly pick it up this Fall!!!!!!!!!!

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

I don't like pure dungeon crawling with no story so I'll only get it if there's story and character moments which is what Persona is famous for

khuenq

khuenq said:

Will it come to Australia? :( So far, there are lots of good games released for N.America and Europe but not Australia, especially games for the eShop. I wish they will release this game worldwide just like Pokemon.

Deathgaze

Deathgaze said:

Don't like Persona personally but find it weird that they put an entry to the series on a Nintendo system. o_O

Heiki

Heiki said:

@B3ND3R Right? Atlus makes the best games IMHO. I never though I could spend 200h+ on a single game until I played Persona 4.
They also have a bunch of great games on 3DS, and I'm sure Persona Q is going to be just as good.

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

Never played a Persona game but I did like the EO IV demo and I'm digging the look of this so I may have to give it a spin.

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

dont know anything about the series but gotta love that jpop trailer. man atlus just cranks games out left and right.

MasterWario

MasterWario said:

I'm excited to experience my first Persona game, and in the style of one of my favorite games of all time no less!

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

Well the Persona series is one of the very few Atlus series I dislike. Since this may play like EO then I will keep an open mind. If its anything like P4G then I will run for the hills.

Gutspinner

Gutspinner said:

@khuenq Australia and Europe are considered the same in the gaming industry. If it comes out in Europe, we get it too…

Retrogamer88

Retrogamer88 said:

i am excited for this strange semi crossover game this fall! i hope i can choose which character i cam use as my main since i wanna choose the main from P3 for sheer!

psxsage

psxsage said:

@AVahne The 3DS just has a much larger install base and they do have to make money so...and given the fact it's a wildly different style of game i get it entirely. The Vita is fun and all but trying to make money with it isn't easy for AAA games as the best selling games thus far have struggled to sell 1M tops most end up 600k-800k at best.