Namco's Klonoa: Empire of Dreams & Mr. Driller 2 rated by Australian Classification Board

Posted by Liam Doolan

Expected to arrive on Wii U VC soon

As reported last week, Game Boy Advance titles will finally be released on the Wii U Virtual Console from April onwards. While there’s still no pricing or release dates beyond the initial month, what we do know is the first batch arriving on the service will include Metroid Fusion, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Super Mario Advance 3:Yoshi’s Island — two of those three games have previously been released as 3DS Ambassador titles.

With this information in mind, the Australian Classification Board has now unearthed a few other GBA titles that should eventually be making their way to the Wii U Virtual Console library. Both were developed and published by Namco, and both have been rated G by the Australian Classification Board. The first is Klonoa: Empire of Dreams which was released in PAL territories in 2002, and the second is Mr. Driller 2, which was originally released in 2001.

With the totally tally of Game Boy Advance games for the Wii U Virtual Console now at five, what other GBA revivals would you like to see made available digitally? Let us know below.

[via classification.gov.au, classification.gov.au, nintendoeverything.com, twitter.com]

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

Great news. I love Mr. Driller and it's great to finally see another company dedicating itself to the GBA VC on WiiU.

MeWario

MeWario said:

Both great games! Yay! My cartridge of Klonoa ran out of save batteries and then I broke it trying to fix it haha, can't wait to finally play it again!

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

You can't go wrong with Mr. Driller, though I'd rather see the amazing Mr Driller Drill Land for GameCube translated and given a worldwide release - what is wrong with you Namco? Share the treasure with everyone!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I love that Klonoa game so much!

I'd really love to see the 2 Fire Emblem games. I'm sure I'm not the only person that discovered the series with Awakening and is frustrated by the high cost of the GBA/Cube games.

Shugo

Shugo said:

Well considering the Japanese VC is getting SMA2, WarioWare, Kirby Amazing Mirror, Advance Wars 1+2, Golden Sun, F-Zero, Zelda Minish Cap, Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland, Wario Land 4, and Mario Tennis, I'd bet on some of those being announced at some point. :P

Really makes me wonder why the western Nintendos hold out on us. given that all of those have had western releases, it should be a drag-and-drop deal.

At least this VC is a VC where I'll probably already own most of the games I'd want anyway. I bought a loooot of GBA games back in the day, haha. Nintendo's gonna have to dig deep and pull out some rarities (or IMPORTS would be nice!) to hook me.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

The article is partially incorrect as neither of these games were issued a prior Australian release as they have only just been classified recently. Previously classified games can use their original classification category and consumer advice (regardless of any changes in guidelines since the time it was originally classified or what platform it was originally released on so long as the content is identical).

So really, the only Australian Classification Board leaks that we will be seeing for potential VC titles are games that were never previously released in Australia.

rdenton85

rdenton85 said:

I loved Klonoa on the Wii. I just really hope these games will also come to the 3DS VC. There really is no reason why they wouldn't.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Klonoa for the GBA goes fro a pretty big asking price at the moment, £15 on amazon and between €15 and €30 on ebay. Mr. Driller 2 pricing is a bit all over the place though.

Wonder how long we will have to wait for just the GBA VC to fill up in Europe. As @shugo says, it should be a pretty much copy and paste dealy'o with the VC now, dont care what anyone says.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Klonoa on GBA was really good! A well-made puzzle plarformer with a bit of Kirby-style charm!

Nintendzoey

Nintendzoey said:

I wish they would release them to the 3DS. I actually don't play my home consoles at all anymore (I haven't touched my Wii or 360 in over a year). I am always on my 3DS though, probably for at least 2 or 3 hours every day.

Firestar

Firestar said:

@sillygostly Infogrames did bring at least Klonoa to Australia though, as I still have the original game packaging with their "Gamenation" branding and promotional insert from that time.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Awesome, this is great news. I've always wanted to play Klonoa for GBA. Namco also needs to get Klonoa 2 on PSN one of these days... I foolishly sold my copy long ago and now they're pretty pricey on ebay.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I look forward to many great GBA games on the Wii U VC as I've only experienced a handful of them.

TimLatshawAdmin

TimLatshaw said:

Anything that keeps Klonoa around is a plus. Such a woefully underappreciated series.

Emblem

Emblem said:

I wonder if we will get them next week. On a side note according to the UK eshop Evofish for Wii U Eshop releases next Thursday if anyone is interested.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

They have some good games lined up so far.
Now please confirm some Mega Man titles :)

jkvasn

jkvasn said:

3DS severely needs Klonoa! The 3D would look amazing on this 2.5D platformer.

James1993

James1993 said:

This is a list of five Nintendo Game Boy Advance titles I would love see be re-released for the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console and Nintendo Wii U Virtual Console:

Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament

Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land

Super Mario Advance

Mario Party Advance

Metroid: Zero Mission

Wario Ware Advance

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

MANYA! Rupuradu!
(That would be my expression of surprise and me saying LET'S GO in Klonoa's language :) )