Mario Golf: World Tour Takes The Action Under The Sea

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Well out of bounds

In the recent Nintendo Direct broadcasts it was confirmed that Mario Golf: World Tour, after a fairly lengthy delay, will hit the 3DS in North America and Europe on 2nd May. With Camelot at the helm and the promise of customisable Mii characters, online play and communities, there's certainly cause for optimism.

Nintendo has today started the hype train by unveiling what could be a rather peculiar course — Cheep Cheep Lagoon. As it's underwater, it may pose a fairly unique challenge:

Hold your breath! Here's an exclusive look at Cheep Cheep Lagoon, a previously unrevealed course in Mario Golf: World Tour. This underwater course has lots of obstacles to help and hinder play with slightly different underwater physics to challenge more experienced players.

You can see the released images above and below. Are you looking forward to teeing off in this one?

[via facebook.com]

GooRoo

GooRoo said:

Very cool! Looking forward to this one. I was kind of "meh" on Hot Shots Golf on the Vita. I think Nintendo will do better with this.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

It's been a basic fact that Mario and Co. can grow gills on demand. :)

Seems they're going a bit mad with the underwater stuff recently. Mario Kart 7 and now underwater golf.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Wow that art does look quite nice. I'm not sure I'll tee off with this one come May, might give it a few months for the price to drop.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Mario Golf is the best Mario sports game. I dont know if i'll be picking it up at release, but if its as good as it looks, i'll be getting it at some point.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

The Mario series just keeps on getting weirder and weirder... And that's not a bad thing! :)

MasterWario

MasterWario said:

Oh man, that pipe streaming out water for extra mileage... ha ha ha.

This game looks pretty good actually, as long as the gameplay is on par.

Goginho

Goginho said:

Whoa nice. I want their next tennis game to have underwater stages. Mario Kart has gone underwater already, might as well bring Bowser battles for the next platformer underwater too.
Well, it's official ..Super Mario Sunshine sequel :P

BearHunger

BearHunger said:

Wow. I didn't think I'd need another Mario Golf after the amazing Toadstool Tour and Advance Tour, but I just might get this. If I do, it'll be my first retail 3DS game since Paper Mario: Sticker Star. :)

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Sure, why not? Mario and friends can breath underwater indefinitely anyway in the Mario platformer games, so there's no shred of realism in the Mario universe. A Super Mario Galaxy-themed space course would be great too.

SakuraHaruka

SakuraHaruka said:

Until May 2nd, well, two months left!!, and almost one month more, other Mario game! ^.^, xD
Then, Still to keep waiting!

Squashy

Squashy said:

Blimmin' 'eck I didn't see that coming, it's berwilliant! I love Mario Golf!

NathanVS

NathanVS said:

''No one asked for this game''

DK got unfairly bashed so I might as well be ignorant also.

Alpha2797

Alpha2797 said:

I am no longer mad that they've delayed this game for so long. This is looking really great and well worth the wait! :D

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

AWESOME! I was already super pumped for this game but now I've reached the next level of anticipation. Looks soooooo good! :D

Henmii

Henmii said:

Now THIS is cool, and unexpected!

On a side-note: I think the next Super smash brothers should also do a underwater level! Or even a level with lots of falling/air time and/or changing gravity (could be something for the Mario galaxy stage)! You know, to mix things up!

3MonthBeef

3MonthBeef said:

Underwater you say? Every single stroke should be an automatic water hazard penalty. jk

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Untitled

Yes, this is exactly how Wii U 2 games will look in-game. ;)
I love this particular picture. Nice to see Nintendo finally shaking up formula and making the locations a lot more interesting!

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

I'm sure I speak for a lot of gamers when I say this but, I've always hated most, if not all, of the water levels in Mario games. What makes Nintendo think I'll be excited and looking forward to play Mario Golf underwater!?!? LoL! ;-)

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

Normally I wouldn't question the plausibility of the Mario Universe (for obvious reasons.), but this just bothers me. You're playing GOLF...under water. Where gravity is not in your favor.

Ryoga

Ryoga said:

what a nice image, Nintendo always imagining cool things. everything with mario is always fun!!! ^-^
maybe next course will be in the sky?! rofl

Kohaku

Kohaku said:

Why didn't they bring this title to the Wii U? Ok, it's Mario again but at least there is an extra game to play. We won't see that much games this year for the Wii U so an extra game is welcome.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

You're playing GOLF...under water. Where gravity is not in your favor.

Thats why its an intentional challenge.

Pod

Pod said:

Rather silly, but both Mario Kart's going underwater in these last two entries as well, and this news coincides with the release of Donkey Kong's return to underwater gameplay. :D

BearHunger

BearHunger said:

@Bluezealand Well, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team did come preinstalled on the 3DS XL that I got. That might count, though I still haven't played it.

XavandSo

XavandSo said:

@bizcuthammer That honour, dear sir, goes to Mario Hoops 3-on-3. The most addicting basketball game ever made. Everyone should play it. No work would get done. Don't base Mario Basketball off that bad Sports Mix. No. Never. Plus the CD Remix of Sherbet Land? Mmmhm....

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

So is the announced Mii mode their take on the old RPG modes of the GBC/GBA games? But kind of stripped down? The footage looked somewhat similar. Personally I prefer playing with my own avatar or a generic character than Mario et al., in these sports games. Would love Open Tennis to go on sale w/ release of this, too.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

Shoot, doesn't something else awesome come out on May 2nd? Oh, yeah, Kirby Triple Deluxe, if I'm not mistaken... Oh boy. Might have to buy 2 3DS games that day. My poor wallet will never be the same.

Falco

Falco said:

I would love if the Wii U got its own Mario Golf. I loved the N64 and Gamecube versions.

SuperMarioBros3

SuperMarioBros3 said:

As unique an idea as this is, it makes no sense at all to release it. Absolutely Useless, as the water hazard and bunker rules go out the window, and you get almost no distance when you hit the ball.

meltendo

meltendo said:

It's too late for this one, but the next Golf game should be Nintendo themed like Smash Bros.: have character like Metroid's Samus as unlockable characters...make courses themed from Nintendo games: Animal Crossing course, Zelda Hyrule course, etc.

SMW

SMW said:

I'm glad to see Mario Golf getting more interesting courses. I loved Toadstool Tour, but most of the courses felt the same. We Love Golf got it right with much more diversity, so hopefully Mario Golf: WT will deliver.