Giant Eggs, Magic Stars and Flutter Wings Come to Yoshi's New Island

Posted by Martin Watts

Europe to receive limited edition Yoshi 3DS XL

Among the wealth of exciting news revealed in Nintendo's Direct presentations today was new information on Yoshi's New Island for 3DS.

Due to release on 14th March in both Europe and North America, the next instalment in the series will feature a number of new gameplay features, and bears an art style that is reminiscent of Yoshi's Story on the Nintendo 64. Yoshi will have the ability to unleash an egg-ceptional amount of havoc thanks to his new giant eggs, some of which are industrial-strength titanium, it would appear. Using these large eggs, Yoshi will also be able to destroy considerable amounts of the stage environments, resulting in 1-Up bonuses should he do enough damage.

Not only that, but by collecting a star power-up, Yoshi will be able to run up and along walls, as well as temporarily fly and smash through even more scenery - who knew that the little dinosaur could be so destructive? Additionally, the Flutter Wings allow Yoshi to fly through the air non-stop, and this bears a resemblance to an earlier power-up found in Super Mario World. For a first-hand look at the new features that were shown off during the presentations, take a look at the video below.

It seems that European gamers will get an extra treat, too, with the 3DS XL below arriving in the region on the same day as the game. No pricing details were given, and this hasn't been announced as yet for North America.

In related news, Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island, which was originally released on Game Boy Advance in 2002, will be coming to Wii U Virtual Console in April.

Are you egg-cited for Yoshi's New Island? Let us know in the comments section below.

Superstick

Superstick said:

Why only Europe?! >:( sigh Guess I'll get a normal black XL then. And man I really underestimated this game. Did you see that awesomess? Freakin SUPER YOSHI! XD

Yosher

Yosher said:

YESYESYES I WANT THAT XL. THANK YOU, NINTENDO! <3 My god, it's gorgeous!

And I have to admit, despite my scepticism over New Island in the past, the latest footage makes it look more promising than ever! I'm gonna love playing that on my Yoshi 3DS XL~

moomoo

moomoo said:

I'm still not convinced on this one. Looks really derivative, and the art style doesn't look as good in this as the SNES game.

Hopefully, I'm wrong and it's amazing.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Why does this look so much smoother than Kirby ? Not sure I like the idea of the flutter wings. (Unless they can be disabled globally then that would be fine).

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

I'm... not to sure about this game tbh. I think it looks great, but it looks YI SNES 3DS edition. Also, I hope the music on par to SNES Yoshi's Island and not DS. The music in that game was far too subdued, in comparison to the SNES's loud and energetic soundtrack.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The reasoning might be who would buy this if they could buy the GBA version of the first for 1/3 of the price or so.

Kirby looked really jerky to me.

Swiket

Swiket said:

Yoshi's Island is my favorite game ever, but I think I'm about as unhyped as possible for this.

BearHunger

BearHunger said:

I actually dig the graphics; in that respect the game looks like a cross between Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Donkey Kong Country. The gameplay, though, doesn't interest me, not for poor quality but for how I do not want to play a Yoshi's Island game again. I got kinda burned out on Super Mario Advance 3… and even then I wasn't anywhere near 100% completion or even unlocking all of the extra levels.

Neko_Chan

Neko_Chan said:

Nintendo's doing dumb things nowadays. European-exclusive Yoshi 3DS XL? SMB3? GBA on Wii U VC? C'mon Nintendo!!!

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Still looking forward to it!!!!!!! I will watch the reviews first but I have a feeling they will all be somewhere with 7-8 with a 6 or 9 (maybe) in there somewhere.

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike said:

I was hoping for this kind of announcement for Yoshi's New Island, these are the kinds of changes that Nintendo games should be making from one game to the next. These aren't groundbreaking changes at all, but they're just enough for me to be interested in playing another Yoshi's Island game.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Lol, so this is about what happened BEFORE the storch delivered Mario and Luigi at their parents!

Anyway, doesn't look bad but I am not entirely sold yet! Besides: Motion control fans rejoice: There seems to be motion control in it (tilting the 3DS and stuff)!

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike said:

@ZephyrTortera Well, Iwata said "if you make a lot of mistakes", so that may not necessarily be just if you die a lot. You might get it if you get hit a lot, too.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

idk to me this,gba game on wii u and mario kart was the only thing interesting in the direct.. i think the yoshi game going to be fun not to crazy about the graphics looking good or not :D i could use a new xl now so that be awesome if that one came to the US :(

Warruz

Warruz said:

Ok the noise Yoshi makes when flying right at the end there , is adorable as hell.

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

wow i am hoping and praying that this comes to NA. i would buy this in a second. i was hoping for a one piece xl but it didnt happen. the japanese ones are really cool.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Kawaii_Neko We got the free Super Mario Bros Deluxe in Europe today also however in terms of real savings the 50% off the Atlus stuff would have been better. (I won't be buying any of it until the EU gets the same discount same with the rest of the Megaman games). Might change if I am really stuck for something to play but I have enough across most genres for the moment.

babyguess

babyguess said:

Well, I pre-ordered at 3DS XL (at least I hope it is, lol) currently described as "Available SKU" at GameStop. It only shows "Available SKU" with retail price of $199.99 and release date of March 14th. So if you make an educational guess this will have to be a 3DS XL Yoshi Bundle, Here's hoping I'll get the one pictured on this article in North America. :)

ChoppedLiver

ChoppedLiver said:

Great to finally get the Yoshi's Island on VC, and the limited edition console looks great, but I just don't have a good feeling about the new game itself.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

@OmegaAndres Right i did. But that changed after I watched this trailer, looks better now and relaxing. Months ago I wasn't getting this tho. If you were to ask me March 12, 2014 am I getting this, I would say no.