Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Twenty Four

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Lucario again! Palkia! Mother Brain! More!

Super Smash Bros. keeps creeping closer — thanks to the inevitable passing of time — and we can anticipate the anarchic fun that awaits at home on Wii U and, pleasingly, on our travels with those funky 3DS visuals.

Masahiro Sakurai continues to tease us along, via the Super Smash Bros. Director's Room, showing new features and assist trophies to maintain hype levels. Last week Sakurai-san caught our eye with the enormous Mother Brain Assist Trophy, which looks set to be one of the deadliest options to find during an intense battle. The week as a whole served up a variety of treats and small pieces of insight, however, three of them Pokémon-themed.

Without further ado, last week's screens are below; as always you can click on the date heading to visit the Miiverse posts in question and give them a Yeah.

3rd February

4th February

5th February

6th February

7th February

So those are your Super Smash Bros. screens for the week, full of HD goodness but not, this time around, showing love for the 3DS version. Let us know what you think in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (337 votes)

Lucario shows of its Aura Sphere attack

Luigi takes evasive action as Lucario takes flight

16%

Palkia emerges from a Poké Ball to show off Spacial Rend

15%

There's more to Rosalina than meets the eye...

10%

Mother Brain brings serious power as an Assist Trophy

43%

Um, I can't decide

To be honest, I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I voted for Mother Brain as an assist trophy. Now she gets to be in Super Smash Bros. after Ridley and Kraid and while it may be too early to tell how powerful she'll be, she certainly looks intimidating in looks and size.

Last week was mainly dominated by Pokemon, with Lucario's new upgrades and Palkia being a Pokeball Pokemon. I like that Lucario is stronger this time; with his quick zip recovery from last time now being a big zoom.

For this week, I'm really looking forward to seeing Diddy Kong's reveal this Thursday to celebrate the Japanese release of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze!

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

Lucario's new Extremespeed looks and sounds great! Assist Trophies are gonna be real game-changers if you can summon the likes of Mother Brain and Palkia.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Lucario charges up his aura sphere, and then............HADOKEN!!!!!

Also Mario is hiding behind Mother Brian, if you didn't spot that before, then it's now stuck in your head forever, can't unsee.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Hmm interesting they seem to have upped its aura abilities and ExtremeSpeed is faster and launches you mire when you fully charge Aura Sphere.

Moorpheel

Moorpheel said:

Mother brain, I still dislike you for killing mah babeh but it took you long enough to appear in this series!

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

Wow,Extremespeed looks pretty interesting now. Looks like Lucario was buffed like crazy.

earthboundlink

earthboundlink said:

"It is said that the cosmos in beneath Rosalina's gown."
Looks under Rosalina's Gown
...They should have sent a poet.

Gioku

Gioku said:

I voted for Mother Brain, the mother of all assist trophies! XD

...and much is implied by "the cosmos is beneath Rosalina's gown"... I'm not quite sure what to think about that... o.o

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

"It is said that the cosmos is beneath Rosalina's gown." Knowing Sakurai, I'm surprised he didn't make some comment about what's really under there ;)

WillhamBoyGeniu

WillhamBoyGeniu said:

Liking the Extremespeed buff of Lucario. They should continue posting more wiiu screenshots than 3ds because it needs more sales.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

I wonder what dialga will do.

Also if they do the same as previos games, reshiram and zekrom will appear in the stage background :P

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

I'm loving all the lucario changes!!!
Extreme speed buff!
Aura's been inhanced!
Mewtwo's replacement is starting to grow on me!

Kirk

Kirk said:

Is it just me or is Lucario a pretty crap choice, out of all the available Pokemon, for a main playable character in Smash Bros.

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

@Kirk I agree that he does feel a little over-rated. Then again, I never played the Gen that he became popular in. He's cool and all.. but I think someone else would have been a better choice. I think the Pokemon company just really likes him. They kind of force him down your throat in Pokemon X & Y, as well.

BAGBOY

BAGBOY said:

@Kirk @Spuratis I used to feel the same until I got my hands on him on platinum version, where my riolu suddenly evolved into lucario, holy s~~t, every time I used him on a gym or at the elite 4, he totally owned them, his strength and speed are incredible, and since then, I've been a fan of him.

BAGBOY

BAGBOY said:

Also, I don't know if I am alone in this, but this is the first time that all images from the weekly super smash bros. update really appeal to me, all 5 images deserved my vote for all the awesomeness displayed in each of them.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

To quote a certain well known mad man on this website, "DAT BRAIN."

Anyway, I voted for Palkia.

AntiGuy

AntiGuy said:

...Meh, most forgetable legendary from the 4th gen... no wait, I think that's Volcarona... still, Mother Brain is the only nice pic.

BAGBOY

BAGBOY said:

@AntiGuy Volcarona wasn't legendary, it was pseudo-legendary like most dragons. Most forgettable???? I think that honor belongs to phione or manaphy, the most boring legendaries from sinnoh, as nobody talks about them. I don't know where are you from, but where I am from, every pokémon player respects palkia and volcarona's abilities and power.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@DestinyMan oh yeah! I forgot about that. Tropical Freeze comes out here on Thursday the 13th. Looking forward to a very possible Diddy reveal. Yoshi doesn't come out here until the summer though...possibly a random reveal for him maybe?

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

It's nice to know that there are at least some Wii U games that Ubisoft can't screw up for us.

This game will be my life when it's released!