Details of Forbidden Magna Emerge, a New 3DS Title From Marvelous AQL

Posted by Kerry Brunskill

The Rune Factory team try something different

Just recently there was a tantalising reveal of a new Marvelous AQL 3DS title called Forbidden Magna; some additional details have now come to light, thanks to a kind soul with a copy of Famitsu and a bit of patience.

The game will apparently mostly closely resemble the 3DS Harvest Moon titles, using a mixture of super-deformed characters with 2D illustrations shown during conversations. A lot of the gameplay mechanics revealed so far seem to revolve around using spirits - aiding you in battle as well as dressing up in maid outfits to help run an inn. Spirits that grow to trust lead character Lux will have extra moves and unique events occur.

Battles are completely grid-less, with player characters acting at the exact same time as enemies do using the game's "Connect Lead Time" system, much like Sega's fondly-remembered Valkyria Chronicles.

The official website launches properly next Monday, so we should be able to break down more details then — the Famitsu website has also posted a number of screens and characters names, too. This is set to arrive in Japan this year.

[via gematsu.com, famitsu.com]

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

From the screenshots I've seen.. I'm not sold yet, though it sounds good and I like the idea of the Inn. I'm a huge fan of the RF/HM series and RF4 has been amazing so far. I'd be willing to give this game a chance if it ever comes west.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Nothing too fascinating, neither in terms of gameplay nor when it comes to design choices. The characters look relatively boring (and the male main character looking even more boring hints to a worrying chance of harem cheapness), so I'll keep only half an eye out for this, if any at all...

Webby-sama

Webby-sama said:

Fighting spirit maids?

Sold.

Edit: No. Spirit battle maids. I like that better.

Battle maid spirits. Maid battle spirits.

I denno now.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Looks interesting so far. I'll have to know more about it before a purchase though.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I thought these dev's were bankrupt (That is why Rune Factory 4 never came to Europe).

lamco

lamco said:

Maybe when more info on the game comes, i will make my mind up on this. For now, eh.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@PrincessEevee9 They were just doing the European part of that release ? (Never stated the last comment as fact. I know I am totally indifferent to Senren Kagura: Burst and I want Rune Factory 4. Probably don't want this either).

The subtitle "The Rune Factory team try something different" implies that it is somewhat related.

Blueberry

Blueberry said:

@unrandomsam According to Siliconera:
"According to the [Famitsu] magazine report, Rune Factory producer Yoshifumi Hashimoto will be producing the game, alongside Rune Factory series director Masahide Miyata and Ototsugu Konoe as the character designer. Konoe designed characters for Fate/Prototype."

Maybe Marvellous AQL hired part of the sacked Neverland team. After Neverland closed, Marvellous AQL said Rune Factory 5 would still be made so I don't think everyone lost their jobs completely.