Child of Light Set to Begin its Tale on 30th April

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Coming out of the darkness

Child of Light, Ubisoft's eyecatching turn-based RPG inspired by classic fairytales, will release on the Wii U eShop and other systems on 30th April, according to the publisher.

Ubisoft Montreal has used the UbiArt Framework engine featured in Rayman Legends to hand-craft the game's mystical world of Lemuria, acquiring the effect of an interactive painting. Players will take the role of Aurora, a kidnapped child whose quest to return home involves saving the sun, moon, and stars from the clutches of the Queen of the Night. Aurora will be helped by Igniculus the firefly and other allies as she faces fearsome dragons and a menagerie of other mythical creatures.

The April release date applies to both Europe and North America; a $14.99 price point was given for North America, but details on a European price have yet to be released. In the meantime, check out more of the world of Lemuria in the new trailer below.

Is Child of Light a story you're tempted to crack open? Let us know in the comments, and don't forget to check out our interview with creative director Patrick Plourde and writer Jeffrey Yohalem to learn more about the game.

Cartographer

Cartographer said:

Wow... I didn't expect this one to be released in the first half of this year. Very nice indeed.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

The Ubiart engine is gorgeous. The combat system us supposed to be similar to Grandia so I'm in like flint.

Laxeybobby

Laxeybobby said:

I hope the UK price is a straight conversion to £ from $ and not just a swap of currency sign ie £14.99, otherwise this may put people off purchasing.
However that said the WiiU community need to buy this to send a message loud and clear to UbiSoft that WiiU is still worth supporting.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Releases on my birthday......i think ill treat myself to this game! Looks really good. I can see the Rayman touch in some of the art work.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Looks really good, and for $15 it seems priced correctly too. Looking forward to the review.

Jampie

Jampie said:

So many games I'm looking forward to playing... and this is one of them! :D My wallet is going to cry. Haha.

SkywardL

SkywardL said:

Finally a Ubisoft game that I'm actually looking forward to get on the Wii U. I'm still avoiding Rayman Legends for their mistake and Watch Dogs is not my type of game.

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

This engine is incredible. Ubi continues to impress. More games like this and they could make my shortlist of "must see" developers.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Maaan, I really wished this engine became widespread used like the Unreal Engine or something like that, it just makes for way to0 beautiful 2d graphics.

Crimzonlogic

Crimzonlogic said:

It looks so breathtakingly beautiful that I will have to try it, so long as it doesn't get terrible reviews.

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

@Haxonberik Better that Ubiart replace Unreal, because Unreal is awful.

Hopefully this won't suffer two major delays and Ubi will turn a profit on the Wii U version, so we get more games like this, and I mean both that they are made in the first place, and that they come to Wii U.

ToniK

ToniK said:

Wow. This certainly looks great. And the price seems nice as well. I thought this was retail.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

This is the sort of game that should shine on the Wii U gamepad, even if it is as simple as letting you use the stylus to do all the things that it looked like a mouse/analog stick prompt was doing.

I am seriously going to need to invest in an external HDD cage soon.

Emblem

Emblem said:

Interested in this game but i need to see some reviews first, Ubi have said several times that its very child friendly. I hope this doesn't mean its very easy, very simple and very short.

Hortencio

Hortencio said:

YES! Super excited about this one! 2014 is going to be one hell of a year for the eShop, I'll probably end up getting 10 games...to add to my already lengthy "To Do" list while I finish up Xenoblade, Okami.

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

Just wonderful. The multiplayer sounds good: I tried to play Trine 2 with my 10 years old niece, but the controls are too intricated for her. She'd love this art style! (Is anybody else here thinking of how many 2D old games would look great if revisited with UbiArt Framework?)

Gameday

Gameday said:

Looks promising enough. Definitely need something different to play here lately.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

That looks lovely. I'd have Rayman Legends already, but I have so many platformers already from Nintendo. They really should have released it on Wii U earlier before the release schedule got more crowded...