CastleStorm's First DLC Expansion, Outcast to Savior, Assaults the Wii U eShop This Week

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Second add-on "The Warrior Queen" still planned

Update:

Mel Kirk of Zen Studios has confirmed that this DLC will cost $2.99 / €2.99 / £2.39.

Original Article:

The arrival of CastleStorm on the Wii U eShop last year likely delighted Nintendo download gamers that had been eagerly anticipating the Zen Studios title; its blend of tower defence and 2D physics-based action contributed towards an undoubtedly fun experience, and we awarded it 8/10 in our review.

The release had been delayed in comparison to other platforms, so naturally the extra DLC has also taken a little longer to arrive. The good news is that the first of the two major expansions, "Outcast to Savior", will arrive on the eShop tomorrow in both North America and Europe. Below is an excerpt from Zen Studios' press release explaining what's on offer.

From Outcast to Savior features a brand new Royal Guard faction, new environments, an unlikely Hero, 20 new battles, new weapons, new trophies and Skirmish & Survival levels! Lead your army into battle across stunning new environments including Stonecrest, The Royal Airport, The Skyship Harbor and the Bladgard Icefields in your quest to capture the mighty Viking warrior, Chief Ramhorn.

The second DLC expansion, "The Warrior Queen", is still planned for Wii U but is yet to receive a confirmed release date. No price has been given in the press release, but for comparison the same DLC cost 240 Microsoft points on Xbox 360 and $2.99USD on Steam in Summer 2013.

Have you been enjoying CastleStorm, and are you tempted to pick this up? Let us know in the comments below.

Guybrush20X6

Guybrush20X6 said:

Interesting to see many smaller studios work on the WiiU when the bigger studios are jumping ship.

I guess they're at the the point when a million potential customers isn't a loss investment.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

This is a very good game, took me quite a long time to complete all the stars and was fun right to the end. I'd highly recommend and DLC can only make it last longer....

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

I bought castlestorm day one, as I have with almost every indie eshop game for Wii u, but due to that fact I haven't been able to devote enough time to really get to grips with it. The small bit I have played looked very fun though.

ToniK

ToniK said:

I've completely missed this game. Wind waker almost completed so downloading this next week maybe. I really want to support Platinum games and buy w101 as well, I just need more money, darn it.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Amazing game, finished it yesterday. E-mailed Zen to ask about dlc, got a reply In less than an hour to say 'announcement coming soon' more or less.......1 day later.....dlc announced!!!
Incredible to see a company support the Wii u with dlc alongside efficient customer service!
I just hope it sells really well on Wii u now for more in future. =)

smikey

smikey said:

I love the game only about half way through with so much to play though but i'll definitely get the dlc once I've finished the game but will probably wait for the second dlc just in case they throw in some promotion for buying them both either way I will get them great game.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Is it just me, or do those new backgrounds remind anybody else of a certain new Kong game that just released :-)

Still haven't purchased the original for some reason. (Probably b/c it came out the day after Christmas and we were busy w/ a bunch of gifts and then forgot all about it.) If this has a sale like most other games that have DLC (Spin the Bottle) or a patch (TT2+) then it seems like the right time is now.

Did this have a demo? I think I played the demo but it may have been on PS3 as I don't recall using the Gamepad. Seems like it would work well on the Gamepad.

rumple88

rumple88 said:

Been loving castle storm, this will definitely help keep it fresh for many many more months. Zen studios is doing a great job with these eShop titles.

I have played a few of the other versions and must say the Wii U version seems more fluid and makes the game pad really shine. To me it's the best.

Emblem

Emblem said:

Great game, I'll be grabbing this thursday even though I'll be busy with SR:Dragonfall which also drops Thursday.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@rjejr I've had a response just saying 2.99 for Europe, but I'm trying to clarify whether that's pounds or euros, but it's $2.99 for NA.

@Pichubby It's out tomorrow :)

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

Wii U owners have a choice:

1) Support awesome games like this; OR
2) Complain that there is nothing to play on the Wii U.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

man indie games do amazing games for the wiiu but the third party support from the past makes pathetic ports of there games to the wiiu wow at least nintendo has some support. but im going to get this on day one to support them.