Ballpoint Universe Coming To The North American Wii U eShop On March 18th

Posted by Liam Doolan

A scribble-driven adventure

While the retail side of Wii U isn't so dandy right now, the system’s digital library continues expanding at an impressive rate with a lot of indie developers pouncing on the favourable opportunities to be had.

Part of the excitement is Arachnid Games' involvement, along with its side-scrolling shooter and platform game, Ballpoint Universe. The small-sized Californian team has now confirmed via its Facebook page that Ballpoint Universe will be released on the North American Wii U eShop on March 18th.

Ballpoint Universe is best described as an adventure game with immaculate attention to artistic detail – with the entire game being hand-drawn on paper with a ballpoint pen. The game stars a protagonist named Doodle who fights for creativity.

A release date outside of North America is yet to be announced. In the meantime, check out the trailer of Ballpoint Universe below and let us know your thoughts:

[via nintendoenthusiast.com]

MamaLuigi

MamaLuigi said:

Retail sucks anyway. Every store in the market never seems to carry the latest and greatest games, only the popular overhyped ones like Madden and CoD. Digital is the way to go.

Emblem

Emblem said:

I have this on PC and its definitely a game that needs to be experienced as its totally awesome, i'll likely double dip as i got my PC version for free. Even if you're not a fan of the completely hand drawn graphics the actual gameplay is very fun and it's a neat little adventure.

Hopefully the UK release date isn't far off.

OGGamer

OGGamer said:

This is one of my most anticipated eshop games . I can't wait until march 18th or march period . Armillo also realeases in march and android assault cactus not long afterwards . The indies have a great couple of months ahead of them with no major first or second party releases . I only mentioned 2 but I know there are many more .

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Sorry, but this looks awesome. Thanks for giving us games instead of excuses.

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

Wow, this looks great!

Gorgeous visuals? Check. Charming animation? Check. Do I want it on my Wii U? I'd better write a...

odd69

odd69 said:

Im buying it of course, ill do anything to support the eshop. But it looks more like a shooter than a platformer, maybe it's both?

boywundr

boywundr said:

This is the first I've heard of this game, but I love that it mixes shmup and platforming. The animation and style are great!!! Calendar marked. I'm off to research more...

ashlyquin

ashlyquin said:

WOW, I like this ...... I wonder what the future is for it being released on the 3DS?!?!?!?!

rjejr

rjejr said:

Looks pretty good. Was a bit thrown by that May 2013 date at the end but I guess that was for PC. Will have to go investigate.

JosieC84

JosieC84 said:

Looks impressive. It's awesome how they just used pencil drawings and makes it beautiful at the same time.
I hope Nintendo releases something like, Miiverse: The game, in the future.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Love love love the look of it. Love that they didn't stay just black and white but went with an ink-wash look. Hope the game lives up to the visuals. It's not just the idea but the execution of the idea as it feels like a bunch of doodle's dictated by whimsy of a wandering mind that is drawing. eShop is going to explode with good stuff soon. Maybe that's what the next Nintendo Direct should highlight.

mamp

mamp said:

OMG am I the only one creeped out by this game because the style just keeps making me think of the Witch's labyrinth from Madoka Magica?

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

@mamp LOL now that you mention it, it does look like the creepier parts of Puella. That just makes the game's visuals even more awesome now. :D

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

oh my god this looks amazing thats why i love indie games they know how to make unique games.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

As amazing and cool as this looks already, I can't help but think that on the 3DS with a 3D effect, it would be even more stunning…

ToonLink795

ToonLink795 said:

So what ever happened to this game it never came out in the USA on march 18th? I was planing on gettiing it to.