Video: Yoshi's New Island Trailer Shows Off Vehicle Transformations

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Because Yoshi can do anything

Yoshi's New Island hits 3DS on 14th March in both Europe and North America, making it one of the earliest major first-party releases on the portable in 2014. As a sequel to the marvellous Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island on Super NES, it has a tough legacy to emulate.

But still, it's Yoshi, so we should try and look ahead with some optimism. Nintendo's released a new trailer that does show a bit more of the game in action, including footage of Yoshi hurling giant eggs and turning into different vehicles, in this case a mini truck and a helicopter.

We weren't particularly impressed in our Yoshi's New Island first impressions last June, but that feels like an age and (probably) a few builds ago. We'll be interested to see how this shakes up, but in the meantime check out the trailer below and let us know what you think.

[via joystiq.com]

Maelstrom

Maelstrom said:

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I can't stand the art style.
(loved the original)

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

I watched the trailer a few days ago... I'm still not convinced tough. It looks cute for sure (Maybe waay to cute and colorful and that sometimes cannot be a good thing...) but idk. Maybe it's the music, they've been using the same track since E3! It makes me worry this game would just have pretty much 3 or 4 songs. At least is produced by Takashi Tezuka wich is the godfather of Nintendo and a total Master on his field so let's hope the level design and creativity can be top notch because of that.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

It is nice to see something actually new in that trailer, but I will wait for reviews.

CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths said:

The promotional material does seem a little lackluster, but I've still got my eye on this one. Loved the original SNES game.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I'm not overly hyped for this game, but it's looking pretty fun. Nintendo never shows all of their best content in trailers. Hopefully it's another stellar 3DS game to an already great and only getting better library.

King47

King47 said:

Somehow this trailer made me want the game less than I did before. And I was sure I don't want it. I'll wait for the reviews.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Definitely getting it day one. Not sure what's not to like about the art style if you enjoyed the SNES original.

brewsky

brewsky said:

I really, really want to like this game. I truly do. But nothing in the game that I've seen up to this point has screamed "BUY ME!!!" yet....

brewsky

brewsky said:

@GearsOfWarU That'a a valid point. The plot as it is right now is that Baby Luigi has been kidnapped, but wouldn't it be safer to leave Baby Mario behind to go rescue Baby Luigi?

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I wish Nintendo would put the option to use the Circle Pad instead of the gyroscope in their games. The gyroscope is both inferior in accuracy to aiming with the Circle Pad and disrupts the 3D.

dumedum

dumedum said:

Wish this came to the Wii U. I really gravitated towards Wii U and neglecting 3DS these days. I like the Wii U better.

Sherman

Sherman said:

Make it look like the original or a Paper Mario game and insta win, Nintendo.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

The video for yoshi's new island is just to cute this will be a day 1 buy for me. :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

MeWario

MeWario said:

Just looks like Yoshi's 'Old' Island to me :( No new ideas, just sticking to the old formula. Problem with that is your not gonna be able to beat Yoshi's Island so you should try and make a unique experience.

RR529

RR529 said:

New things this game will have:

• Giant Enemies/Eggs.
  • Some sort of "binocular booth" that will let you see ahead in the level.
  • Truck Yoshi (which almost seems similar to the DKC minecart segments in a way).
  • While as Helicopter Yoshi, the world will now tilt around you as you turn.

It looks like there's more to it than just a rehash of the old formula, and there's probably more new stuff we don't know about as well.

Goginho

Goginho said:

Love the original. Love the way this looks - the whole natural-looking art style (looks more appealing than the new DK series, whose main strongpoint is HD). Love the series :)
I think this is shaping up to be a great game and will be a great addition to the Yoshi's Island sub-series. I just wish they'd come out more frequently, not just once a decade. Also can't wait to see what the console Yoshi has in store. I had fun times with Yoshi's Story back in the day. Gotta get that on the VC sometime too though, as I don't have my N64 anymore :/

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

I like the art style. It wont be a "more of the same" :>
Anyway, I just hope they don't mess with the music, because YI;DS failed hard there (cave theme...why ;_;)

As stated before, i hope the level design is as creative as the SNES game.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ntabruzzo - That's what I've been wondering. This, MH4G/Ultimate is the usual stuff in an ND. And Pokemon servers going down tonight. Jan. is almost over and Wed and Thur will be all about the holiday sales numbers. Maybe Friday?

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

Oh It's a new Build. There have been a few changes recently such as:
1. The "new" in the title was orange but it's now yellow (This is a Minor change but a noteworthy one)
2. In the original trailer, Yoshi eats a Big Shy Guy just like any ordinary one, But now, you have to pull back on the circle pad a few times to do so. EDIT: The Big Shy Guy now makes a violent scream when it comes out of the warp pipe.
3. When a Mega Egg is launched, it showed a picture of an old image of Yoshi's head. In the first trailer, it's a hand-drawn image from Yoshi's island DS but in others' it's one from Mario Games

Denkou

Denkou said:

This trailer looks better than the last few, but I am decidedly not sold on that art style. Looks like the helicopter transformation will be based on the gyroscope, which is always a bit weird, but it could definitely work. Also, is it just me, or is this slower paced than the original? Everything seems a lot more... floaty. Also, I noticed that you can't instantly aim an egg up in this version. In the original, if you just held up on the d-pad, THEN went into a firing stance, it would instantly be pointing up, which allowed for faster aiming. I think this one will have good level design, and even maybe good additions to the series, but the general flow of the gameplay just looks like it's been butchered.

accc

accc said:

@DarkKirby LOL, you must be out of your mind if you think the circle pad is more accurate than the gyroscope. Anybody who's spent five minutes with RE Revelations on 3DS can tell you that there's a world of difference between the two.

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

I really hope this lives up to the SNES original, I loved that game, bought it on GBA too, I'm looking forward to reviews

Gioku

Gioku said:

I still think it looks nice! :)

...but I am an extremely over-biased fan, so... don't mind me!

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Looks slow and boring, there's just nothing in the trailer to get hyped about. I love the original Yoshi's Island, being the first non-Pokemon game I ever played, but I'm not excited about this game whatsoever.

Pichubby

Pichubby said:

NIce vid, getting it. Not as good as the original, but then again, what is these days...

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I want to look forward to this game and I hope it's still good, but I haven't seen or read anything that has been really convincing. I'm also not happy with the story. I'll be waiting for reviews.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I never thought i'd say this, but this is even more stale looking than the NSMB series. The original looks better in every single way imaginable. You can clearly tell this wasn't handled by Nintendo....

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Just looks like Yoshi's 'Old' Island to me No new ideas, just sticking to the old formula. Problem with that is your not gonna be able to beat Yoshi's Island so you should try and make a unique experience.

They did that with Yoshi's Story and look how that turned out.

WesCash

WesCash said:

Maybe it's the art style, but this really looks like it could have been a GBA game. I didn't really like the original very much anyway, so I'll pass on this one.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@MrWalkieTalkie
I expect this game to be the only reason behind Yoshi not being announced for the next SSB yet. "To celebrate the relase of Yoshi's New Island, Yoshi joins the battle once more!"... calling it now.

antipop621

antipop621 said:

With all the lengthy RPGs that came out last year on 3DS, this will be a nice change of pace, although I'm not expecting much.

^I agree that Yoshi's Island DS was not great.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Loved the first two so I will get this third one also.

Going to be an awesome spring with Yoshi and Kirby running around my 3DS. :-)

Pod

Pod said:

Nintendo's been repeating themselves a little much the past couple years from a visual standpoint, I feel.

I've yet to buy a 3DS as I don't feel much new is being said in the graphics department, and this game seems particularly stagnant in that regard, fun and charming as it may appear.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

This is just like A Link Between Worlds and 3D World. At first the games look rather bland untill Nintendo unveils some awesome features right before launch.
I thought the game was just like its predecessor untill now. Tempted to get it! I love games without time limits! (looking at you 3D World...optional time limits would've been much better.)

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

wow just wow what is this ppl complaing/ dissing a game that is trying to be similar to the original to have that nostalgia feel but them showing us actual new features like the giant egg and new yoshi transformation yet it isnt enough? but when it isnt close to the original ppl complain too??

as for me it does look like it will be interesting least im curious to see what else they are bringing to this game

Shambo

Shambo said:

@DarkNinja9 People always complain. To me, the egg game case was enough to guarantee a preorder for a game I would 've gotten sooner or later anyway. I love Yoshi's Island! WRIIIINNNN HAH!

Dominicruz

Dominicruz said:

I love yoshi's island on supe rnintendo but the song of this game is not good its kind of boring .snes yoshi'sisland was the best music .