Video: This Awesome Games Done Quick Super Metroid Race is a Must Watch

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Learn how to speed-run a classic

At the weekend we shared the exciting news that the week-long Awesome Games Done Quick Event raised over $1 million, which was an outstanding effort from everyone concerned. We'd also heard that the Super Metroid race — between runners Garrison, Ivan, Krauser and Zoast — was a stand-out event; it had certainly contributed a sizeable chunk of the donations.

Now, thanks to diligent YouTuber Charles English, that part of the live stream is available to watch. In the feed you can watch all four runs at the same time, so this is certainly a way for enthusiasts to see some masters of their craft in action — the finale couldn't be much closer.

The video's just under an hour with the winner finishing the job before then, and the useful commentary of the event helps explain what's happening, along with the various tricks being put to use. Check it out below.

[via destructoid.com]

AK-1138

AK-1138 said:

"Look how fast I can chore my way through the game while avoiding all that pesky atmosphere."

Falk_Sturmfels

Falk_Sturmfels said:

@Barsteward1: I will never understand the reason behind a speed run. If there is a game I really like, the last thing I wanna do is finish it in the shortest time possible.

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

@Falk_Sturmfels depends on the game. some games only truly shine when you beat it and many new things to do appear.(kinda like Pokémon, except gen I and Pokémon X/Y)
there are also games that unlock alternative endings after you beat them once, those are quite rewarding to finish fast(at least in the first playthrough)

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

@Falk_Sturmfels
It's called metagaming. It can be just as fun as regular gaming.
Also, speedrunners don't speedrun games right away. I don't know how anyone would think that. First they play the target game normally, just like everyone else. It's only after they know the game inside out that they start competing for fastest completion time.

SLiM

SLiM said:

I had the pleasure of watching this live. I stayed up later than I wanted to to watch it but it was totally worth it. It amazes me that after 45 minutes of play, that they manage to finish that closely. Can't wait for Summer Games Done Quick!

Pink_Floyd

Pink_Floyd said:

I herd that you can donate to stuff like this and the money will go to charity. Is that true?

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

@GeminiSaint actually I think speedrunners play the games even more slowly than normal people in the first time, so they can memorize patterns and paths the best they can for the speedrun.

Gioku

Gioku said:

I love speedrunning! I love games that have speedrun goals/timers built in (like Rayman Origins or Super Mario 3D Land). Right now the only game I can speedrun all the way through Super Mario Bros. 2, and I can speedrun The True Arena in Kirby Super Star Ultra. And I've been working on speedrunning Super Mario Bros., too. I don't have the time right now to watch this one, but I will be back! :D

...people who complain about speedrunning are probably the ones who can't do it. ;)

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

So impressive. These speedruns are like an engineering exercise in optimization, and this game suits it perfectly. Turning it into a real-time race is even more impressive. The finish of this one is amazing!

SquidzillaStaff

Squidzilla said:

This was so amazing to watch live. I can't believe I only tuned into this stream for the first time this year. I'm already hyped for 2015!! For anyone wanting to join in, there's actually an ongoing bonus stream right now at their Twitch page.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I live in the UK and I had to stay up ridiculously late to watch the Super Metroid race, and it was totally worth it.

SyntheticPerson

SyntheticPerson said:

The highlights for me were: Super Mario 64 (one handed!) and GoldenEye 64 (speedrunning co-op with 2.2 control scheme).

As a GE speedrunner, it was good to watch fellow eliters pull off such an impressive feat!

T7L3R

T7L3R said:

Great...now I have the itch to play Super Metroid again...I already have too many games I need to play through!

FadedSun

FadedSun said:

@Barsteward1 What...Do you really think this is the first time they've played the game? They've played it countless of times. They know it backwards and forwards. They don't need to sit there and absorb the atmosphere every single time they play the game. How many times do you need to slowly play through a game?

If you watched this speed run challenge, you would see how much skill and care goes into the process. It's amazing to watch.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I tried speedrunning a few games a couple times, including Super Metroid. All it did was make me start to hate video games after a while, as playing a game became a chore rather than a hobby. I had to play through the game and memorize everything the fastest way possible, with no mistakes. It just wasnt fun at all for me. I can beat Super Metroid in under 2 hours to get the best ending, but what those guys did in that video takes hours and hours of grueling practice.

Zorkthedork

Zorkthedork said:

@Falk_Sturmfels You do realize that most people who speedrun a game probably have beaten it for normally more times than anyone else who played it casually, most speedrunners also stick to 1 game for over a year.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I just watched this whole video and loved every second. I have never felt so nerdy in my life...

Falk_Sturmfels

Falk_Sturmfels said:

@Zorkthedork: Which is even more crazy. Watched that video with the guy playing Zelda with his feet? Again, I don´t get it. How long you have to train for something like that?
I´m happy that my wife doesn´t complain about me playing so much games. I can´t imagine what she would say if I would start training for speedruns or sitting half naked on the floor with my feet on the gamepad.
"Look, kids, daddy finally lost his mind completely."

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

Eh, honestly I don't like speedruns. I find them pretty boring.

I will, however, watch this video since I don't have anything else to do. Thx Ninlife

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Damn, that was intense! Speedrun challenges like these should become part of e-Sports League! I enjoyed every single second of this!