Release Window and Pricing Confirmed for Tappingo on the 3DS eShop

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Tapping you up for $2.99 / €2.99

Tappingo is the latest title from popular portable download developer Hugo Smits (aka Goodbye Galaxy Games); his titles on DSiWare consistently delivered enjoyable, clever mechanics. The developer's 3DS eShop début looks promising, as it produces a new twist on ideas that may have some familiarity for Picross fans.

The developer has now been in touch to confirm a target release window and pricing for this puzzle game — it should arrive in late February and will cost $2.99 / €2.99. Smits states that it'll include "over 100 puzzles that will easily keep you playing for over 6 hours".

We also have a couple of new screens to show, featuring retro Nintendo controllers.

The previously released clip of this game is below. Will you be looking out for this towards the end of February?

ACK

ACK said:

I'd tap that.

...Actually, I might not. Haven't decided yet.

Frapp

Frapp said:

@FishieFish
Pingo/pinga is used in some countries as slang for the male sexual organ. And tap sounds like a contraction of 'tapa' meaning lid/cover - or worse, it could just be the English 'tap'!

HugoSmits

HugoSmits said:

@gsmaciel it's nothing like minesweeper, and a lot more like Picross.
Basically you need to extend those numbered blocks into lines (the number indicates the correct length). When you extend lines they keep extending and will only stop if they run against another block or line. The strategy is to block the path off in time with another line.

@Frapp Haha thanks for letting me know!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@ACK I was going to post how long until a sexual joke was made. Apparently the answer was first post.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Glad to hear it is so cheap. I hope that after having the game and trying it, the rules click with me.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@XCWarrior Now were you impressed by that or disappointed? lol

Could be interesting, if they manage to keep the game from becoming tedious (for example means to maybe skip the animation or speed it up). Picross managed that pretty well, it'll remain to be seen if this game holds up.

iphys

iphys said:

These puzzles look better than the generic ones in the Picross e games, so I'll be getting this.

ACK

ACK said:

@Ernest_The_Crab Really, go back to the early 90s and you'd find neon-splattered game magazines littered with ads for Tappingo featuring the banana screenshot and some shirtless, musclebound pro wrestler wearing Zubaz and a gigantic shat-eating grin, clenching a stylus in one hand and a text bubble proclaiming his desire to tap squeezing through his shiny teeth.

That's where the current industry has gone wrong.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@Ernest_The_Crab I need a longer video of the game. I can't tell what you are supposed to do. I'm not a big Picross fan, even though I'm a big puzzle guy. So maybe its not my genre?

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

99.9 % chance of me downloading this. If i won't be struck by lightning before its release that is.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

@HugoSmits I didn't even look at the gameplay and wanted it, now I want it 10 billion times more! These kind of logic puzzles are my favorite ones ever, espcially when they make pictures. I really hope there will be a Picross 3D styled level editor (one that fills in the logic blocks for you so all you have to do is draw), that would make it the best game since Pushmo

HugoSmits

HugoSmits said:

@Marioman64 @Bluerobin2 Level editor will not be included.. maybe for part 2. Right now it’s quite difficult to make ‘good’ levels. I made all puzzles by hand to ensure that they are fun to play :)

iPruch

iPruch said:

@Frapp I am Spanish and I've never heard "pingo/pinga" as slang for the male sexual organ. I could tell you twenty different words which could mean "male sexual organ", but "pingo/pinga" won't be in that big list xD

Frapp

Frapp said:

@iPruch
It's common in Latin America... definitely Peru – it's one of the first words my ex-fiancée taught me and she was from that wonderful country. I've also heard it in Venezuela, Ecuador, Chile, Puerto Rico, Mexico and in some northern parts of Argentina. Sometimes the masculine form, sometimes the feminine.
I'm aware it's not normally used in Spain, although I know that a good friend of mine from near Valencia is aware of it, as he used to joke about the Pingu animated character when that first aired, pero este no es el lugar... :)

iPruch

iPruch said:

@Frapp Oh, I live in a town near Valencia and I've been there many times (what a coincidence!) and I haven't heard it ever. It's crazy how languages vary that much even in the towns and cities near. Pero tienes razón, este no es el lugar x3

By the way, this game looks interesting. I don't know why, but the more photorrealistic the games become, the more I like pixel-style games! I hope retro style never dies :)

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

The simple yet deep gameplay and great price point makes this a must-buy. Can't wait for its release.