Quest Begins To Find The Best Game Boy Tetris Player In The United Kingdom

Posted by Damien McFerran

Block buster

Since the release of the excellent King of Kong, it's fair to say that the world of video game high-score chasing has become a little more respectable. The documentary showed that the people who post these amazing scores are necessarily locking themselves away in rooms for weeks at a time; they're normal people with families and jobs that have held onto their dream of achieving something noteworthy in the realm of their favourite hobby.

Spurred on by the movie, Helen Stephens has started a campaign to discover the UK's best "classic" Game Boy Tetris player. She recently bought her boyfriend an original monochrome Game Boy and a copy of the game — apparently, his previous high score was pretty decent, back in the day.

The aim is to film her other half playing Tetris constantly and catalogue his attempts to smash the world high score, as well as arranging a UK tournament which will prove once and for all who is the best block-buster in the entire country. At the end of it all, a documentary will be produced that can be sold on DVD.

The Kickstarter goal is £30,000 (around $50,000 / 36,000 Euros), and anyone who pledges £100 or more will be interviewed in the final feature. Is this something you can get behind? Do you still play a mean game of Tetris? Sound off in the comments to tell us.

Thanks to Jake Smith for the tip.

[via kickstarter.com]

MF_MaxiMillion

MF_MaxiMillion said:

Lol, yeah sure I'll pay £100 to see someone play Tetris on a Gameboy. Making it rain blocks, son!

Deathgaze

Deathgaze said:

There is a movie on the best North American Tetris player on the NES version, fantastic watch and I recommend it to everyone. It's called 'Ecstasy of Order'.

SamiCetinSMK

SamiCetinSMK said:

@Damo
Il see what I can do regarding finding any candidates. Will it be just on the original GB platform or is the VC download one on the 3DS a viable option aswell? Might be worth listing the options and how the validation process must be done (e.g live recording as there is no replay option etc).

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

On the 3DS version the lines stop counting at 9,999, but I reached that. My score was like 29.8 million. I love Tetris!
...Not enough to pledge to this though. Well, maybe I would. I'll check the details.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

They may need to fly to the US ;D Because I'm the best out of my group of friends at OG Tetris.