Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver Soundtrack Available For Download

Posted by Andrew Karklins

Additional soundtracks coming later this year

Video game music is perhaps one of the most cherished and appreciated aspects of a game’s reputation. Titles in franchises such as The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario are loved not solely for their gameplay, but for their connection to the player through wit, charm, and music; some of the most beloved soundtracks of all time emerge from the Pokémon series, one of the world’s most popular role-playing games. Since the franchise’s début in the 1990’s, the Pokémon series is continuing to revolutionize the future of video game soundtracks on handhelds.

The Pokémon Company has officially released a digital version of the soundtrack from Pokémon HeartGold and Pokémon SoulSilver. Available on iTunes for $9.99 in North America and £7.99 in the United Kingdom, the soundtrack contains 270 tracks from the popular titles, many of which are remastered from the original Gold and Silver games. Composed by Junichi Masuda, Morikazu Aoki, and others, the collection features orchestrated adaptations of much of the game’s expansive soundtrack. Originally released in 2010 for the Nintendo DS, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver are two of the most critically acclaimed games in the franchise’s history.

The Pokémon Company has already released the soundtrack for Pokémon X and Y, the newest addition to the Pokémon family as well as the soundtrack for Pokémon LeafGreen and FireRed, remakes of the original games.

Soundtracks for Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, Diamond and Pearl,Black and White, and Black 2 and White 2 will be released later this year.

Are you planning to pick up the HeartGold / SoulSilver soundtrack?

[via polygon.com]

Pichubby

Pichubby said:

I first thought it said, "Heartgold and Soulsilver for download". Major disapointment.

Guybrush20X6

Guybrush20X6 said:

Anyone else keep getting errors trying to download it? I think it's the size causing troubles.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

OMG i would download it later this week! Now... why the hell Nintendo doesn't do this with the Super Mario 3D World or A Link Between Worlds soundtrack by releasing it on iTunes? They would sell like pancakes!!

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

The soundtrack for HGSS was better than the originals, in my opinion. I was so excited to be able to use the old music in game, but by the time I unlocked it I didn't really want it anymore.

Gioku

Gioku said:

I may just be a sore loser, but... I wish they coulda been on time with the Bank over these soundtracks... ._.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

There's always that one music that I was obsessed with in each game. In the recent XY, I was listening to the Route 15 / 16 music, because it got me so pumped. In Heartgold and Soulsilver, that track is the "Dark Cave" music. The remaster that they have done is beautiful.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

Nintendo is in dire need of some cash, releasing soundtracks on itunes would be a great idea.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

........Enough with the Pokemon music already! WHAT ABOUT A LINK BETWEEN WORLDS?! xD
Or even Super Mario 3D World, you know...that game that already has an official soundtrack....in Japan. >_>

gefflt

gefflt said:

I'm all for video game music (big fan)... but when will we get releases of the Donkey Kong Country 1-3 soundtracks?!? :(

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

I have thought for a long time that Nintendo should put all of their soundtracks on iTunes. They would be swimming in cash for $9.99 a pop.

millarrp

millarrp said:

Maybe this is part of their smart phone strategy...I have no interest in Pokemon soundtracks but if they make some of the other ones (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, etc) I would be.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

So there are no plans to release soundtracks from the original versions of the Gen I or Gen II games? I'd even be happy with the soundtracks from the GCN games. :)

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

Saw it last week! Still need the money to download it but it's incredibly complete and cheaper than the Red and Green one. Amazing.

belmont

belmont said:

The soundtrack should be included with the game when you buy it. Yet vet few games offer this.

Metroidlink

Metroidlink said:

I still don't understand why leafgreen and firered is more expensive than XY and HGSS when XY and HGSS have more songs.

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

@GamerZackX @Retro_on_theGo @belmont It's not that "it includes the original".

It's because the "original" soundtrack is part of this game. At least a recreated version of it.

So, in reality, it's not the original soundtrack... Just a "soundalike".

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

Awesome I think HGSS has the best music in the whole series. That Cherrygrove City music is beautiful. :D