Nintendo Confirms Rambi's Return in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Power play

With its release now a little over a month away, Nintendo is starting to gradually reveal more minor pieces of information for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. At the end of last year we were shown the return of Funky Kong, and now there's confirmation that a favourite from Donkey Kong Country Returns — and from the original Super NES days — will feature in the new title.

Nintendo of America has confirmed that Rambi the Rhino, so effective at rampaging through stages, will appear in Tropical Freeze.

Naturally fans of the franchise will be hoping for more surprises, old and new, in Tropical Freeze. Are you pleased that Rambi is back, and are there any other animal buddies that you hope will make a return?

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

This was the last thing I needed to know to ensure my day one purchase. I wanted the animal friends back so bad! Looks great.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I certainly like Rambi a lot more than the mine cart and jet barrel levels, wanton destruction is always fun. Even dieing is more fun on the back of a rhino. It just is.

Speaking of dieing, is this game getting the easy options from the 3DS version of the first, or should I wait for a patch like Sonic Lost World got? I played the 1st half of the 1st game but basically watched the entire 2nd half. My kids didn't get much past world 1, 2 player just isn't as fun in mine kart and jet barrel playing as it is platforming.

BigDaddysPizza

BigDaddysPizza said:

@rjejr
I think they are going to carry over the easy mode. And how can you say the mine carts aren't fun? I think they are some of the best parts. The rocket barrel wasn't so good and I hope we don't see it [or much of it].

It's great to see Rambi back, but I'd really also like to see Engarde and maybe a couple new animal buddies.

sagen

sagen said:

I wish the other animal friends from DKC 1 2 & 3 came back too - at least some of them

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I loved Rambi in the original but I think I loved them all. I liked the mine cart levels too!

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: animal buddies were one of the best things about the original SNES games. They added even more gameplay diversity and charisma to the games. Their continuing absence is a big mistake in my opinion. I'd like to see, at the very least, Squitter, Enguarde, and Squawks back as playable buddies here, preferrably with a brand new one alongside them. Sadly, I'm not holding my breath.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Yeah, was hoping there would be more animals back in Returns, but it never happened. (the parrot doesn't count, lol) Hopefully we'll get more this time around. :p

ACK

ACK said:

Definitely glad they held this one back. The extra polish will be worth it and, honestly, it would have been overlooked over the holidays.

Even as a huge fan, my anticipation wasn't there until just recently. Something clicked in the past few weeks and now all I want to play is DKCR to satiate my cravings. Hopefully the market bears out the same, but I know for me that this Feb. is the right time for me. Can't wait.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@ricklongo

I thought of you when I read this. Guess you can finally sleep at night, haha.

Rambi and Enguarde would be enough to make me happy. Not sure if those Cranky Kongs out there will warm up to new animals.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Good, Rambi has always been my favorite animal buddy!

There was just recently IGN impressions of Tropical Freeze, and the author confirmed the return of Squawks. He can be bought at Funky's store to help you detect puzzle pieces just like in Returns. Sadly, Enguarde was nowhere to be found...

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

And so the fightback to entice people to the Wii U starts....

Of course I was getting it day one.

Zero_Revolution

Zero_Revolution said:

It's nice to have Rambi back again, but I do want to see some new animal buddies as well. There probably won't be any...

RetroRider

RetroRider said:

I would love to see Rambi as an assist trophy for the new smash bros. Or even a item that you can ride.

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

@Baum897 Yeah even so the inclusion of Rambi is enough for me to assume the other buddies will be back, especially since water levels are back as well so I'm sure we will see Enguarde. Even if I don't I'm not going to be mad haha it already looked like a great game.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

This can be the best platformer side-scrolling game in years!! (Sorry Rayman Legends, New Super Mario Bros U.) I can't freakin' wait to play this, plus, dat David Wise soundtrack!! I've been reading some previews of the game from other websites and all of them are good toughts!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@BigDaddysPizza I would have less bothered about the rocket barrels part if they put all the levels down one of the paths. (And let the key go around it). I just hope the default difficulty is the same as DKCR (It is always the one that gets the most effort put in). DKCR is the only Nintendo game in recent times that has been just right in terms of challenge for me.

Goginho

Goginho said:

Check out some gameplay from GameXplain on YT. This game looks so amazing.

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

Already own the 3ds version, not sure why I should buy it for wii u. Hopefully they'll fix the controls. Using r to grab things doesn't work very well.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

@Dogpigfish Because you own the 3DS remake of DKR on Wii. This is a whole different game. Not the same one on 3DS. ;) Also, I thought R worked perfect, personally. Never had an issue with it.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Is it sad that it seems every "big" secret Nintendo usually has for their games lately is "where bringing back _____". Doesn't anyone else find this incredibly sad?

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

They should have Squitter, Squawks, Clapper, Winky, and Enguarde as well. I felt each of them added something positive and fresh. I was never a big fan of Ellie or Expresso. Can't remember if I'm missing any others...

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

Aahw .... I played donkey kong on the SNES.. Was magnificent.. Need to get a Wii U as soon as possible...

ACK

ACK said:

Absolutely brilliant. I don't know what I was expecting, but Tropical Freeze is shattering my expectations. Retro's level designers are coming into their own. Another DKCR opportunity might have been just what they needed to hone their craft and find a distinctive, powerful voice. It's simply not possible to witness one of these levels and ignore the message. This is gonna be fun.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

Just waiting for JaxonH to comment...he liked the Wii series as much as I did :) And he makes very cool comments...just saying. lol

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@rjejr

Yeah, screenshots have revealed both 2 and 3 hearts, so there will definitely be an EASY mode.

I gotta ask, you really don't like the mine cart or barrel rocket stages? Those are by and large fan favorites... is it the difficulty perhaps? If so, I have some good news for you. I watched some video footage from GameXplain, and the mine cart levels no longer kill you in one hit. Now, I have a feeling this was a result of EASY mode (I sure hope so- as much as one hit mine cart kills have been the bane of my existence, I'm strangely drawn to the perfectionist challenge)

allav866

allav866 said:

I kinda expected to see him again, but what about Enguarde? There are now water levels, so I'm more curious if he'll make a return.

Stargazer

Stargazer said:

@allav866 Apparently Rambi is the only animal friend in the game. Which is super lame.

However, each character (Diddy, Trixie, Cranky) has an underwater special move. So that's something.

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

This game is special. Many wanted metroid. But this game is a refreshing release in light of the landscape of the industry especially for bigger console game releases.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

Yeah all about rambi! This game is out at the perfect time January is my tomb raider definitive edition month, February is Donkey Kong country tropical freeze, March is metal gear ground zeroes and infamous second son it's been a great last few months.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@JaxonH man we agree on everything!!! Just wondering, how was your experience on DKCR when you had to beat the mole boss on the train in mirror mode?

It was the hardest thing ever for me. I took like maybe an hour or more. By the time I beat it, I was crazily happy and so shaky. I even found this trick to skip a little bit of rail time with mole henchmen on the internet. And even so, it still took me so long.

ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2 said:

This is FANTASTIC news! It really makes you wonder what else is in store, eh? :)

dumedum

dumedum said:

I love Rambi. But The rocket barrel levels were my favorite. Always got real happy when that music started and the barrel started igniting
Most fun levels.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@ACK When you said Tropical Freeze is shattering your expectations, don't you mean shattering the ICE of your expectations? Haha, get it?...hehe....

gefflt

gefflt said:

That's great news! ...but a bit predictable.

What we need is the return of Enguarde, Squitter, Rattly and Squawks (as an animal buddy, not an item). These 4 animal buddies, along with Rambi, all have radically different controls and would add a lot more to the game, just like they did back in the original series.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

I sort of wish they would have ditched the rocket barrel levels and brought back other animal friends instead, but this game looks so good it's a minor complaint.

emayer

emayer said:

I was hoping for Parry the Parallel Bird, but maybe they're saving him for the third game.

King_Johobo

King_Johobo said:

@gefflt Yes!! Especially Squitter with his 4 pairs of high-top nikes ;) It'd be cool to introduce some new animal buddies as well.

Man this is really tempting me into getting a Wii U!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Funny_Moblin

I've beated DKC Returns twice- once on Wii, once on 3DS. But I must admit, I never followed through on Mirror Mode. I collected everything in the 3DS version- it was painstaking. But after a couple stages in MM, I moved on.

I'm really excited for this game. I'm surprised PRIMA didn't make a guide for it though... I was looking forward to a collector's edition like Super Mario 3D World and the Zelda games...

EDIT*** Guess there is a guide for it, but not a hardcover edition. Oh well, it's still collectible to me, simply because it's DKC...

Klinny

Klinny said:

The animal buddies were my favorite part of Donkey Kong Country when I was a kid. I'm definitely happy to see Rambi back, and I hope to see more!

Boxmonkey

Boxmonkey said:

I really don't know if I will buy this or not, I'll wait for the reviews and if they are 9-10 I will buy anything less and I'll give it a miss.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Can't wait to play this might even try to 200% this time instead of just 100%.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I pretty much liked all of their designs and mechanics. In DKC 2 and 3 it always was something special to find and get help from them.
So if the inclusion of any one of 'em makes a level better, just do it.
I wouldn't mind new ones either.

gefflt

gefflt said:

@King_Johobo Wow, I didn't even think of that but yes, new animal buddies would be really cool too!
And you definitely should, I've been having a blast with mine. :)

rjejr

rjejr said:

@JaxonH - I've got no rhythm, and I don't like dieing in 1 hit. Actually the jet barrel parts aren't as bad as the mine, you have some control, but the mine cart levels are all about timing. It's not really a video game, it's a trick to make you think it's a video game, but it's just hitting a button at the right time, like a trip to the Drs office testing your reflexes. I pretty much hate all 2D video games that force you to just constantly move from left to right on 1 line and die in 1 hit w/ nothing to do but jump. 2D games can be really good - LBP and Puppeteer bring things to life - but I much prefer open world.

Thanks for the heads up on Easy mode. That makes it go from a rental to a purchase. Too bad it doesn't come out a week earlier, the kids are off from school 17 - 21. I would have made it a family purchase for Valentine's Day, or even Sunday 16th. Since when do games come out on Friday anyway?

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

eh still not enough for me i would like to see he sword fish and the spider make a return for me that would seal the deal to getting this game :|

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Its a disgrace that they only used one animal buddy last time around, there was easily more room for Expresso and Winky.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

I never really liked the animal friends. I always found mine cart stages more entertaining. Not that they were bad but after a few levels it was the same thing over and over. Plus the secrets were usually way too obvious in levels that had them.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Wait a minute, could it be that Rare own the rights to the Kremlins and the other animal buddies (except Rambi)? It seems Nintendo and Retro Studios are doing their part to stay away from the Kremlins and animal buddies as possible in these new Donkey Kong Country games.