New Road Redemption Footage Blasts Away Road Rash Comparisons

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A work in progress, and all that...

Last year there was the pleasing news that Road Redemption had reached its crowdfunding goal and, in the process, been confirmed for the Wii U eShop. The work of Dark Seas Games and with an estimated release target of August 2014, it's been described by the developer itself as a title heavily influenced-by and carrying the torch of the iconic Road Rash franchise.

Gamers of a certain age may go misty-eyed at that possibility, and new footage of the upcoming release aims to show how the project is progressing. After concept screens of previous times showing a zoomed-in camera and hand-to-hand combat — adding credence to those Road Rash comparisons — this video shows a rather distant angle and plenty of gun-play. Range attacks seem to be the focus of the new footage — showing the guns to the world — but those weapons and the perceptibly light mechanics seem a far cry from the apparent source of inspiration.

This is still early footage, naturally, but check it out and let us know what you think.

Razzle

Razzle said:

August is a while a way, so I give them benefit of the doubt. Not much variety in the video.

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

im not too sure what i think after that...
i was really looking forward to this but this footage is pretty disappointing compared to the trailers.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

An important lesson. Don't get excited when a kickstarter game claims to be inspired by one of your favourites. It has no bearing on it's quality.

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

@Peach64 In this case it's more like, "don't get excited when a Kickstarter has a gameplay video that looks amazing, because it might not be actual gameplay".

I was excited for this, but never for the claim alone.

Not saying it can't still turn out cool. It's just a development video. But it's a far cry from the pitch video.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Now guys, keep in mind this is just a development video. And August still is a ways away, so I too give 'em benefit of the doubt. I'm still excited for this game and look forward to it!

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

Steering your bike and aiming your gun by moving the camera at the same time always felt a bit awkward to me in games like GTA, so I wouldn't want want to buy a game that revolves entirely around that concept.

I'd say simplify it and keep the camera locked behind your character, and have a bit of auto-aim applied to your shots. The player only needs to control whether they fire left, right or straight ahead, and time it right so they don't lose ammo (the guns should be temporary power-ups that your character tosses away once the clip is emptied...I suppose you could drive into ammo crates on the sides of the road to reload).

Two basic button layout ideas:
A to accelerate, B to brake, R or ZR to shoot right, L or ZL to shoot left, L + R or ZL + ZR to shoot ahead.

R or ZR to accelerate, L or ZL to brake, A to shoot right, Y to shoot left, X to shoot ahead.

Using the right analogue stick to shoot twin-stick style might also be fun if there were a bonus mode with a Micro Machines style overhead camera and more enemies swarming around you...of course all these ideas sound like I'm stuck in the early 90's.

vattodev

vattodev said:

@ToneDeath: Maybe you should try their forums or something closer. Indie devs are usually open for feedback.

Anyway, great video. I'm looking forward to this game. Just tell it's going to have couch multiplayer and we're done!

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

@vattodev: I was just thinking out loud...with a rather bloated comment; sorry guys.

You've given me another idea though! A Wii U exclusive co-op mode where player one controls the main character and his bike with a Pro controller, whilst player two controls a character that rides on the back using the Gamepad. They CAN move their camera around to assist with taking out the extra enemies the mode throws at you, even ones driving up behind you. An alternative method would be to have P1 steer on the Gamepad and P2 shooting on the TV with a Wiimote & Nunchuk. Also, the P2 character should be a female with long hair so we can see it flap in the wind, just like Outrun.

Oops, there I go again!

Desy64

Desy64 said:

Road Rash 64 was a blast and this looks to go the same way. Graphics are still on early development, it seems

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

Looks pretty fun. I hope the controls are WiiMote to point and shoot, nunchuck to steer.

warlocknem

warlocknem said:

Never really played the 16 bit Road Rash games much or at all but I did own the Road Rash released on the Panasonic 3DO and RR64. I really enjoyed those games very much and always wanted new titles in the series but if a successor is all we're going to get I hope they can pull it off.

element187

element187 said:

Once again people judging a game in development.....

Looks like it's still in development, but that's expected from a game more than 8 months away. These indie devs are excited to show what they have been working on to see the feedback, and they see people prejudging a game deep in development. Can we wait until it's almost ready to release before slamming it? Are you expecting a AAA experience for an indie game price?

Are you guys judging the game because of the lack of AA? I mean post processing effects are some the last touches to go on a game to clean up the jaggies. Seems unfair if that's what you are complaining about.

It looks like they have their engine built and the base of the game running. They just need to expand on the concept add more assets like tracks, cars, obstacles. Looks like it will be fun indie game.

ACK

ACK said:

Not fond of the shooting at all. That said, drive-by shooting feels really good with a Wiimote+Nunchuk and fairly sloppy with dual analog. You know what that means... (This game needs Wiimote support and almost certainly will fail to include it.)

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Noooooo, they've turned it into road avenger!!!

Go back to melee only, that was one of the best bits about road rash. If I'd pledges through kick starter for this I'd be very pissed off right now

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

I dont like the shooting at all, I'm not surprised some are asking for no guns in the game. The concept does catch my interest though, it would just need a lot of online and splitscreen modes to get a sale from me.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

Some people are WAY too negative here...
If you look at the original video it is not worse than before:
The environments even look better now and the bikers and so on look EXACTLY the same, except like @element187 already said, this new trailer is more than likely without post processing, that is why it still has some rough edges. The kickstarter trailer probably was cleaned up, to show the game off, but other than that it is still the same game. And as the trailer mentions update: ranged weapons, I strongly suspect it to be additional, not in place of close range weapons. And the guns were already in the first trailer too. Looks like a fun game. And the original wasn't that deep either, so I'm hardly worried that this'll be worse...
What's with the white dots on either side of the bikes though?

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@thesilverbrick Same here. It was much more satisfying to whip out the bat, chain, or whatever else you had, and just slap them off the bike.
Guns make it way too safe since you can shoot from any position, while in Road Rage, you hat to look out for all kinds of obstacles while closing in.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@hiptanaka yeah, this looks nothing like that original video! I don't know how they managed to get worse as they go along, instead of better?!

Thats-what-shy

Thats-what-shy said:

If this is recent footage, there's no way they're going to make August with a quality product. Six months is nothing in game development time.
Also, not sure I understand releasing footage in such a raw / prototype-like state.

JustinH

JustinH said:

Backed this and proud of the work that's been done. They're insistent on getting the game running right before giving the graphics a serious coat of polish. Guys, be a little patient on the look.

@BertoFlyingFox @ACK @thesilverbrick I hear you guys on the shooting — bear in mind this video is showing off that guns have been implemented into the game. This isn't meant to show off how the game will actually play. Go through the dev blog or the board and you'll see the guys making the game are even hesitant about putting in guns. By all accounts the game will be largely melee, with guns as a high risk/high reward option.

Imagine23

Imagine23 said:

It's like when you go to a new restaurant for the first time and you believe it's the greatest one you've ever eaten at, and then you keep going after that. And with each visit the quality of the restaurant gets worse and worse...

element187

element187 said:

@TheRealThanos white dots looks like its to show the center of balance. More as a reference point in the process of game design. Probability of that being in the final product is pretty low.

element187

element187 said:

@TheRealThanos rofl, I just looked at the video you linked to.... it's the same game... This new video doesn't have the post processing effects in it, the white dots show the center of balance of the biker and won't be in the final product.

Wow, people blowing up at this project for no reason. Let the developers do their thing, judge the game on the final product.

SMW

SMW said:

Am I the only one that got 4x4 Evo vibes off of that terrain? I just wanted to cruise off the road and soar over those big hills.

Superstick

Superstick said:

This looks alright. But it's gonna have to get alot more attention if it wants to sway me away from all the other indie games.

Asaki

Asaki said:

@ToneDeath "Steering your bike and aiming your gun by moving the camera at the same time always felt a bit awkward to me in games like GTA..."

You should try it in Real Life some time =)

JimLad

JimLad said:

Looks fine to me. This is development footage afterall, not a release trailer.
It's to show the backers that they are indeed working on the game.

watford1

watford1 said:

I used to love playing Road Rash back in the day & so looking forward to playing this. When is is coming out on the Wii U eshop?