NES Remix Update Adds Wii U Pro Controller, Remote and Classic Controller Support

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Or play with those controllers on the GamePad screen, to be fancy

NES Remix was not only a surprise Wii U eShop release late last year, but also a popular arrival on the platform. By combining NES retro games with twists and tweaks to their gameplay it managed to earn a solid number of fans.

One peculiarity was that it was GamePad-only in the controller stakes, but Nintendo of Europe has now confirmed an update that adds support for the Wii U's various other control options.

It's a very small download, taking a matter of seconds on our unit, and an added bonus is that the GamePad still mirrors the game if switched on, so you can perch it on a stand and play on the smaller screen with these other controllers; that's admittedly not a particularly useful feature but it's there, nevertheless. We'll keep an eye out for confirmation of this update being available in North America, too.

Are you a NES Remix fan, and will you opt to switch to alternative controllers with this update?

Pit-Stain

Pit-Stain said:

wow! We were just talking about the Wii U that it needs an off-tv play instead of using the GamePad only, and there it is!!!

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I sometimes wonder if Nintendo's own people even know if they have compatible classic controllers. We need to keep telling developers to support the classic's analog triggers in upcoming racing games like Project Cars....

-KwB-

-KwB- said:

Sweeet, was waiting to get my hands on that game with the Pro Controller !

Mahe

Mahe said:

This is awesome! Playing on the Gamepad was the worst fault of the game...

Lance168

Lance168 said:

They should have updates for Dr. Luigi and other download only titles. Like a new mode for Dr.Luigi and more games for NES Remix.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@Nintenjoe64 I didn't realise the original cc had analogue triggers - they dropped them in the CC Pro and the new Pro Controller doesn't have them, so I'd be doubtful about that to be honest.

I won't be changing controllers just because the Gamepad does the job just fine for me.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

Despite my love of the GamePad, this really should be the guide for pretty much all games. As should user-defined keys – if the consumer wants to be able to change the button layout, they should be able to. Choice is good.
Furthermore, I really don't know why Nintendo haven't released a N64 and GameCube controller adapter for the Wii Remote, particularly the former. Wouldn't cost much to develop one or to patch in support in some games. Hell, I'd love to be able to use my DK Bongos on some games.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Frapp Nintendo has often used if everyone cannot have something nobody can which is stupid. (Take Rumble Support which the Gamecube Controller did have and e.g the WindWaker bonus disk version of Zelda did have. Instead of supporting it where practical they just disabled it for everybody).

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

@Nintenjoe64 did not know they had analog triggers on the original .....I've got the gold pro that came with goldeneye and tbh I thought the older one looked ugly, like a mish mash of retro shape and horrible white plastic. Would have picked one up if I knew about this feature!!
However I wouldn't hold out any hope of support this gen , let's face it, the Wii u controller support from Nintendo has been shocking!! I'm still waiting to be able to use a nunchuck on nsmbu!!!! These hould be basic day one features, no defence.

Razzle

Razzle said:

I am really happy with this, playing with the Gamepad was really putting me off, I find the d-pad akward. I was thinking Nintendo should have released a limited run of NES style controllers to play this game, as an older gamer playing these games with anything but a NES controller is just not right! I will gladly settle for WiiU Pro Controller though.

Emblem

Emblem said:

@Frapp I agree the more choice the better. I'd also like Wii VC to have more control options patched in.

There is a gamecube adapter btw, 3rd party though I think.

Monsti

Monsti said:

This is just awesome. I hope this kind of support will come to more stuff. It's those little changes in player support that Nintendo needs right now. :)

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Will be nice to play this with the Wiimote. It's as close to a NES controller as it gets in terms of recent hardware.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Nintendo should make it possible to use USB controllers (with normal DInput drivers) but of course that would never ever happen.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Cool, I got a Luigi Wii remote for Christmas and was disappointed I couldn't use it for this game. Definitely love the remote as an NES controller...

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I'm getting this game soon,....I had no idea it was restricted to just the gamepad. Glad to hear of this update as I will be using the Wii Remote to play.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@Sean_Aaron I can't think of a single game that used the analog aspect of the triggers and don't think they even worked for Gamecube so they were a bit pointless but it would be nice if Criterion had supported them for NFS and I drop a hint every time a Project Cars interview comes up.

@ULTRA-64 I quite liked the SNES controller shape and chunky analog sticks on the original, it was perfect for Mario Kart. I think it shows how little Nintendo cared about traditional controller design last gen when the ZL and ZR buttons were horribly placed on the classic and the L and R weren't so well placed on the classic pro.

I was hoping for a Wii U Pro-Controller-Pro with analog ZL and ZR but I doubt there will be enough Car racing games for it to matter :)

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@hiddenstampede While it would be cool, I just don't think it will happen. Too few of the Wii games support classic controllers, and almost NONE of the first-party titles do. Maybe you could reassign "waggle" to a button, but I'm not sure it's where they should be focusing any of their resources right now.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Hmm... I do like the tiny dpad on the wiimote for some nes games, but having to prop up the GamePad for off-TV play means I'll use the GamePad most often. The game is fun to pass around and let people try the mini challenges.

By the way, I love the game. I think $15 feels wrong when you see the package advertised, it just looks like it should be much cheaper. The value is certainly there for me though. I'd still suggest $10 as a better price long-term because it certainly makes me want to buy some of the included games and by the time it's over I bet I'll buy at least one I wouldn't have anyway.

It's also an interesting experiment in the sense that it feels like a mobile game or a portable game. It has short challenges with tons to unlock in a cycle.

If Nintendo wanted to go mobile with an official Nintendo controller to add on to iPhones and androids, it could include this game and it would feel right at home.

Not saying they should. :D

brewsky

brewsky said:

@Nintenjoe64 The first game that came to mind that made use of the analog triggers on the GameCube was Super Mario Sunshine. Hold the right trigger halfway to spray water while moving. Hold it down all the way to spray full blast, but not moving.

EDIT: I just thought of Super Smash Bros. Melee. Depending on how much the trigger was held down determined if you wanted your shield to last longer or be stronger.

bahooney

bahooney said:

Never understood why this wasn't day one. Sideways Wii Mote makes the most sense, after all.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Super excited. Wanted to be able to use pro controller, as for these type of games, the smaller controller handles better for me.

MegaAdam

MegaAdam said:

Rogue Squadron also used the analog triggers, for boosts if I recall correctly.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

I'm in the US and this update was available in my area this morning.
It is strange how it wasn't there from the get-go. Nintendo would sell more Wii U Pro Controllers if they added day one support for them in their own titles... but still, it's a very welcome addition!

Vallu

Vallu said:

Ok, I just confirmed something... This update DID fix the pause abuse glitch! Nintendo you sneaky...