Mario Party: Island Tour Arrives in the UK Top 20

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Super Mario 3D World sneaks back into the top 40

Mario Party: Island Tour arrived on the 3DS in Europe on 17th January, and its opening weekend of sales have helped it up to 18th in this week's all-format UK charts. It's a reasonable mini-game collection, in our view, describing it as "a sound purchase for kids, families or anyone looking to play with friends" as we gave it 6/10.

The remainder of the Nintendo representation in the top 40 is in the lower reaches, with the usual 3DS customers continuing to shift some units. Pokémon X and Pokémon Y are in 33rd and 34th, giving X yet another narrow win in the UK; The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is in 38th place while Animal Crossing: New Leaf clings on in 40th position. A number of titles higher up the chart are older multi-platform titles that have had meaty price cuts, so it's becoming difficult for these full price 3DS entries to keep pace as they did throughout the latter part of 2013.

There is a small piece of good news for the Wii U, with Super Mario 3D World re-entering the top 40 in 37th place. These positions are unlikely to mean particularly sizeable numbers, but it's welcome nevertheless.

The next major Nintendo retail releases in the UK (and of course Europe as a whole) are Inazuma Eleven 3: Team Ogre Attacks for 3DS on 14th February and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Wii U on 21st February.

[via ukie.info]

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo said:

Super Mario 3D World, just after one month on sale, is now available for £30-35 in some shops.

... this NEVER happened on the Wii!

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

Mario Party: Island Tour is a flop, but it's still good that it entered to charts tho. This game will still get a million worldwide in life time sales.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Peek-a-boo It doesn't happen on the 3DS either where you can get a used copy of say something like NSMB2 or Fire Emblem for £30 and that is it on the high street. (Or new from Amazon at about the same - £35-£40 new but more than likely out of stock).

Emblem

Emblem said:

@Peek-a-boo It was 35 on release at amazon, that's where I got it. Wii U games are all pretty low right now which is nice for consumers.

In comparrison if I want another game for my PS4 I need too shellout £40-60 which i can't justify as an owner of other consoles and a gaming pc (Exclusives aside).

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Glad to see SM3DW popping back into the charts. It's got a long way to go to shake off the 'outsold by knack' tag!

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

I wonder what's number 1 in Europe.....
cough cough Fifa, Battlefield, COD ghosts cough cough

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Colonial Marines sells more than X and Y... The gaming industry makes no sense...

Squashy

Squashy said:

How can people still be buying Aliens Colonial Marines!!?? Didn't anybody tell them it's rubbish?

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I'm surprised actually. But it makes me wonder. How few units do you have to sell to make it. The charts seem very much down on Christmas. It is still probably a few thousand units.

@Bulbousaur Aliens is £5, Pokemon is £100 (I'm assuming the buyers don't have a 3DS and can find the 2DS bundle). I have to admit I bought Duke Nukem Forever at a similar price point, I guess these days I'd watch a let's play instead though. Aliens does have a decent multiplayer though (I doubt players are flocking to this though).

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Inazuma Eleven isn't going to sell. Nintendo UK have forgotten how to sell games. Other than big franchises anyway.

t1redmonkey

t1redmonkey said:

Inazuma won't make it into the top 40. DK might last a couple of weeks in there before it drops out again.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

This is a fair price if you are going to play it with a few other people from one cartridge. (Loads of games I would buy one copy of to play with my nephews but never 3).

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Most people don't even know Inazuma exists. I don't get why Nintendo don't push it more. I've said it again and again, the UK loves football, and loves Professor Layton games. You tell them the people who made Layton have made a football game and it should be a decent seller at the very least, but it just gets released without a peep of marketing.